Bronchitis

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 03:57 pm
The doctor called and said I have a mild case. Big surprise to me! Seeing the doc on Friday to follow up.

I've never smoked and have never been exposed to hazardous chemicals. The other day I fractured a rib. I'm thinking maybe that's the cause since for 2 days I couldn't cough properly.

Is this something I should be concerned with?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 782 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 04:04 pm
Nope. Most cases of bronchitis are viral.

If your doctor suspects bacterial, he may prescribe antibiotics but if it's viral it won't help.

Causes:
Influenza A and B
Bacteria (known as "walking pneumonia").
Inhaled irritants

But like I said above, most cases are viral and you just have to wait it out.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 05:51 pm
I've had bronchitis several times and I'm not a smoker (or hazardous waste worker, etc.), either.

If you still have your tonsils, those will probably also be somewhat effected.

My best advice to you:
* stay in bed. You may think you have energy, but you don't. Do not do your usual running around because you'll only end up being sicker longer.
* drink a lot of fluids, mainly hot ones. You want to soothe your throat, plus a lot of fluids means a lot of peeing and sweating, both of which help to flush everything out.
* speaking of hot -- keep yourself warm, even if you feel warm or neutral. The more you sweat out, the better.
* once the illness is gone, the cough may linger. Always have cough drops with you and use them. Eventually what happens is that continued coughing creates more irritation, which is self-treated by the body with more coughing and so it goes. Break the cycle by doing your best not to cough. Do whatever it takes, e. g. tea, ice cream, cough drops, whatever which keep the coughing to a minimum and eventually to a stopping point.

Feel better soon.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 08:07 pm
I am just coming to the end of bronchitis myself.

A good cough syrup, hot tea and anti-biotic are all I can recommend.

I feel for ya. I really do
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 08:42 pm
Thanks everyone for your responses. They really help. Thanks for the good wishes, too.

Other than my rib hurting a bit (pain meds really help) I don't feel sick at all. I had no idea I had bronchitis. I believe that things happen for a reason, so....had I not fractured my rib, no xray would have been taken and the bronchitis would not have been treated. Good thing it has been caught early.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 06:47 am
doglover- Often an inhalant such as Albuteral will help ease your breathing. Ask you doctor if what you have is appropriate for that medication. A good cough medicine will also help with the symptoms.
0 Replies