See? I'm not the only weird Dutch guy...

nimh

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 06:19 pm
Quote:
From Europe, with love of politics

New Hampshire Union Leader Correspondent
Monday, Jan. 7, 2008

Derry - Following the candidates around the state this weekend, somewhere between the trail of campaign staff and the mob of media members, is another set of fanatics on the trail: the European political tourist.

At an event in Derry last night, at least two groups -- one Dutch and the other Danish -- crossed paths at Hood Middle School where Democratic candidate John Edwards was holding a town hall meeting. The Europeans came from all types of professions, but all were self-proclaimed political junkies, eager to be in the midst of what they said was a unique experience, the New Hampshire primary, where even they could get close to a candidate.

"Even we as Europeans get to shake hands with John McCain, they won't believe it in Europe," said Dutchman Willem Post, a public television commentator on American politics.

Post visited New Hampshire during the 2004 primary season, but this time is leading a group of 10 other Dutchmen from The Hague on a five-day political sightseeing trip. Arriving in town on Saturday night, the group had already hit several political events, and Post was pleased to report he had already shook hands with four politicians -- Edwards, Barack Obama, John McCain and Ron Paul.

"What I like about New Hampshire is there are so many independents. You can have all the money in the world, but you have to convince (the voters) individually,'' Post said, after the Edwards event last night.

Post and the others said that in the Netherlands there are national elections featuring political debates, but they are never so intense and the candidates never get so close to the voters. The political system is different, Post explained, but he sees a distinct enthusiasm from New Hampshire voters that he said his countrymen lack.

"I admire their independence, I'm impressed that it's not just a slogan,'' he said. "People take their responsibility to meet the candidates seriously.''

Part of the appeal for at least some of the European observers was watching the American political campaign in action. Fritz Huffnagel, the vice mayor of The Hague and a former Dutch parliamentary candidate, said he's watched American campaign tactics become Dutch tactics.

"Everything that happens in campaigns happens here first," he said yesterday.

After opponents of Democratic candidate Sen. John Kerry accused him of "flip-flopping'' on issues, the term seeped its way into Dutch political speak, Huffnagel offered as an example. The negative connotation and even the English words have become part of the everyday political talk, he said.

Lais Nielsen, one of 18 Danish visitors visiting from Copenhagen, agreed.

Nielsen, who described his profession as "spin doctor,'' said he is a former spokesman for the Social Liberal party in Denmark. Nielsen said he visited New Hampshire in 2000, so is familiar with the state's primary system, but this time is impressed with the way campaigns are using technology.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 388 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 07:12 pm
I don't think that you are incorrect.
I hope you understand my English( a second language)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 06:37 am
Everyone should have a hobby.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 06:59 am
I work in Holland, MI, founded by Hollanders.

Everyone here is ultra conservative. Nobody except farmers and welfare cases vote Democrat.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 02:44 pm
Nimh--

I just heard on NPR that the Irish bookies had odds favoring Obama to win in New Hampshire and they lost a lot of money.

I like the idea of American Politics as an international spectator sport.
0 Replies