The $1 billion campaign

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 01:47 pm
THE American presidential race in 2008 will be the costliest campaign yet, with the candidates of each of the two main parties getting through $500m each by November. Add the cash raised by the losing candidates, spending by national committees, political-action groups and the like, and Fortune magazine reckons the total cost could be $3 billion. Campaign-finance reformers bemoan the corrupting influence of such large sums. But a more sanguine columnist, George Will, points out that Americans spend $2 billion on Easter treats.
http://economist.com/daily/chartgallery/displaystory.cfm?story_id=10276639
Will the voters finally land in the land of AMERICAN DREAMS?
They wish to see the New World order.
What is new?
Which world?
What kind of order?
They wish to have change and hope?
What kind of change?
Hope for whome?
The ever ellusive American Dream is still far far far away.
Any comment?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,949 • Replies: 53
No top replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 02:58 pm
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 05:08 pm
I had purposely opened this thread.
And it will die on the day of new RESIDENT of white house.
I mean next year .
Have a nice wonderful democracy without facing the reality.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 07:52 pm
Elections are won or lost on ideals
and not with show like you wish to project and uphold.
Before exporting the basic norms of democracy , try to be an example.
Your democracy is anything other than..................
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 08:24 am
Poor John Edwards! He has been accused by the press and parasite TV-punditry for delivering his Iowa speech, post-caucuses, in anger. That just isn’t tolerable in our milquetoast, self-professed moderate America, where politicians must always talk in hopeful, flattering ways of a resurgent God-blessed America just waiting to gloriously reemerge if only we could correct our navigation by one, maybe two degrees.

Just as Uncle Ronald Reagan suggested (pre- and during senility): the only way to talk to Americans is in a firm and convincing tone of unflagging optimism, reality be damned. Never should the American populace be allowed to receive messages of self-criticism that may contradict the nation’s infallible ways; messages should be of hope that can come about by a tiny correction in course. Politicians, unlike preachers or motivational speakers, are only allowed to show anger when referring to foreign enemies – real or imaginary – and not when the enemy is really found to be us.

By now, it should be obvious to any student of American society and its econo-political folklore that Americans don’t have a palate for any form of criticism, much less self-criticism, of our capitalist democracy, particularly if it’s sacrilegiously expressed . . . and with anger.

Once again, our paladin-politicians are all clamoring to be candidates for change; yet, not one of the “electable” candidates to the presidency has dared tell us how they will effect such change in the areas where change is needed; and, to date, the best they have been able to come up with are “slight corrections” in direction to the war in Iraq, an improvement in health care (instead of commitment to the right of universal health care) and other small changes that hardly represent the revolutionary changes needed for a nation almost 180 degrees off-course from the destination our citizens deserve; also those in the world who, rightly or wrongly, view the US with great suspicion and fear.

At least John Edwards dared to take head on an oppressive and predatory Corporate America, which in and of itself not only caused him an irreparable rift with Wall Street, but also indelibly wrote his obituary as a presidential candidate, leaving Democrats with a final match pitting Oprah’s protégé and the lady “experienced” in everything that is wrong in America, things many of us feel she will not likely confront, much less change.

If there is one issue, a fundamental principal issue that defines us as a people among all other peoples in the world, one that not one "electable" candidate has dared to touch, it’s America’s foreign policy and how we view and treat other peoples throughout the world; and the complete overhaul we need to make in this regard. An overhaul, not a tune-up! America’s long term viability, not just as a superpower but as a trustworthy nation, rests not on its nuclear stockpiles but in how the nation changes, how decent and good neighbors Americans become.

Not one "electable" candidate has dared to seriously commit his or her efforts, if elected president, to seek harmony and reconciliation in Palestine . . . and the rest of the Middle East and South Asia; not as an ally and guarantor for Israel, but as a true proponent and advocate of a just peace which long term will be the only thing that will guarantee the continuing existence of that state. Nor has a single "electable" candidate committed to reassure America of the fact that Muslims, secular or fundamentalist, are neither terrorists nor Islamofascists just because some misguided people tag them so, stating clearly that the first thing we must do is to put a stop to all anti-Islam trash talk. Our ideas about the world may be different, even clash, but that is no reason to stop seeking common ground in a world where civilizations will have to eventually find enlightenment and melt into one, unless humanity is bent on an early exit from this planet.

And that search for harmony should not be restricted to the Middle East but to Latin America as well, and those nations where our century-old meddling has unjustly aided oppressive governments and abusive elite classes. Have any of these candidates that invoke change expressed any goodwill towards those nations in South America that are trying to find a better path of social justice for their people, even if such path deviates politically from ours? Not one! And as for Cuba, and the billions of dollars in economic damages that the US has inflicted on its economy, its people, for a half-century . . . there is no outcry by candidates for change, for reestablishing ties that will erase all ill-will. Nor has there been any call for foreign policy change to provide help for Africa; nor for our treatment of Russia; nor for the unyielding threats to the sovereignty of Iran.

But change in foreign policy is not the change that candidates are talking about; theirs is not so lofty and primordial change. Change for them is simply a palavering way of promoting their candidacies, getting votes . . . and little else.

Of course, by the time the two surviving Tweedledee-Tweedledum candidates reach their campaigns’ feverish pitch in late summer the recession will be in full bloom, in its third quarter, without end in sight. That will provoke a “forced change” to the campaign.

For now, as we enter 2008, most Americans remain in complete political and economic denial just as all declared presidential candidates promulgate change, but not the most important change: foreign policy change. For without that change, America will not engender a more humane, compassionate society, and a better life for its people -- both material and spiritual -- and that change will not occur until America divorces from that frightful hag: Pride, and takes on a youthful friendly bride: Humility. But that’s not about to happen . . . not for a while; certainly not this year.
http://onlinejournal.com/artman/publish/article_2815.shtml
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 03:48 pm
Hillary Clinton’s surprise victory in New Hampshire guarantees a longer, more competitive Democratic primary season. It’s like money in the bank for broadcasters, as the first billion-dollar presidential campaign continues.

While the world’s oldest democracy, the United States, spends trillions of dollars claiming to bring democracy to Afghanistan and Iraq (through the barrel of a gun), what have we got here? A process driven by major donors shoveling huge sums of cash into the troughs of television broadcasters, who are holding the electoral process hostage through their control of the public airwaves. The same broadcasters arbitrarily exclude viable candidates from their so-called debates, elevating themselves to kingmaker.

The majority of the money that candidates are forced to raise is for TV ads. They are running to be the nation’s top public servant. The networks should provide the airtime as a free public service. The airwaves belong to the public; they are a national treasure. They should be used to enrich our electoral process. Instead, they are exploited by highly profitable TV networks, forcing the candidates to rely on monied interests. This vicious cycle must be broken.
http://www.mediachannel.org/wordpress/2008/01/11/the-broadcasters-big-payday/
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 02:02 am
A Nevada judge says Democratic presidential candidate Dennis Kucinich must be included in Tuesday’s candidates’ debate in Nevada.

Senior Clark County District Court Judge Charles Thompson says if Kucinich is excluded, he’ll issue an injunction stopping the televised debate.
The judge sided with a lawyer for the Ohio congressman, who says debate host MSNBC at first invited Kucinich to take part and then told him last week he couldn’t.

Read more: http://news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080114...

The lawsuit is available at this link:

http://www.lasvegasnow.com/global/story.asp?s=7622444
-------------------
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x3139316
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2008 07:49 am
John Edwards, who is relying on federal money to help fund his presidential campaign, may not get any more. The list of lobbyists raising cash for the candidates, and how much they have brought in, remains hidden.

The Federal Election Commission doesn't have enough members to oversee what is expected to be the most expensive election in U.S. history. Down to just two of its six commissioners, the FEC can't assemble the quorum of four votes required to approve federal campaign funds, enact regulations, undertake fraud investigations or provide legal advice to candidates.

The reason: Senate Democrats have refused to confirm former Justice Department official Hans von Spakovsky to a seat on the FEC, and, in response, Senate Republicans won't let through President George W. Bush's three other nominees.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601109&sid=aonCz2SxcRZ0&refer=exclusive
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 04:12 pm
This campaign costs a lot to pick up a befitting
Resident of USA( P is missing and it is not typing mistake).
Are there any informed members in A2K to convince me
that the diminshed, degraded, damaged image of USA will get a new life after the new occupant of the mighty WHITE HOUSE?

Change and hope is not a banal word to use/abuse/ or missuse
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 05:05 pm
Funny but true.
One guy who was not popular around the globe
is able to CHANGE the POLITICAL admosphere
by collecting 32 million Dollars in january.
My name is Rama
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 02:48 pm
All of us who are concerned for
peace and triumph of reason and justice
must be keenly aware how small an influence
reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 03:06 pm
I like your thread Rama. I read almost the whole thing.

I especially like the Orwell quote.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 03:09 pm
Thank you Amigo.
I am here to expose the naked hypocracy of the
exporter of democracy around the globe
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 03:22 pm
You can expose it all you want. The biggest hurdle is denial and apathy. Most unpleasant truths are dissmised a quakery and that dissmisal and denial made easier in mass. Peoeple reenforce eachothers denial. they make it easy to ignore the facts even when you put them right in front of their face. It's to much for them.

It is very sad considering some of the great minds and people that went into making this nation like Abe Lincoln and Tom Paine.

Have you read any Tom Paine?
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 03:29 pm
Amigo
I used to read all the internet sources which mirrors my political views before I surfe in A2K.

Unfortunately there are some die-hard upholder of
mobocracy in the name of democracy
dare not to enlighten me to cahnge my views.

Let me have some compassion for those intollerant one-siders.
As a mark of respect let me quote this which highlight the American election system. Thanks again and here it is.

"Under democracy
one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -
and both commonly succeed, and are right. ~H.L. Mencken, 1956
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 03:54 pm
Politics is the gentle art
of getting votes from the poor
and campaign funds from the rich,
by promising to protect
each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

I have come to the conclusion
that politics is too serious a matter
to be left to the politicians. ~Charles de Gaulle
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 04:45 pm
Tom Paine Very Happy

"But such is the irresistable nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants is the liberty of appearing."

"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit."

"The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion."

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 05:00 pm
Wonderful quote Amigo
Accept my regards .
I wish to die without remose or regrets.
I have lost HOPE .

Hope is the only universal liar
who never loses his reputation for veracity. ~Robert G. Ingersoll
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 03:31 pm
Those who had wasted their energy and hard earned money should think deeply about this .
Don't be carried away with this high tech nonsense in the name of selecting a candidate who wish to deminish the image without substantance.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 05:41 pm
The future president is a white man.
Much ado abut nothing to pick up a befitting candidate to stop the banal drama
0 Replies