Despite the sequel's poor critical reception

tintin

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 10:22 am
Despite the sequel's poor critical reception,most people who see the film find the acting and cinematography at least as good as or even better than those in the original.

i understood nothing in this sentence .....it looks pretty abstract to me.

what does it mean "sequel's poor critical reception" ? does sequel==film in this context ?it also says "critical reception" Sad

"better than those in the original."...but people are watching film ...so its the original film ........confused here.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 595 • Replies: 4
No top replies

SULLYFISH66

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 10:50 am
Meaning -

Despite the sequel's (a series of films, another film that follows the original film, such as the Star Wars film sequels) poor critical reception (critics review films; they are giving the film a poor review), most people who see the film find the acting and cinematography at least as good as or even better than those in the original. (people like the sequel anyway)

Tin - If you are working on comprehension skills for English, you need to back down the reading level somewhat (lower the reading level). The vocabulary in these paragraphs posted here are very complex in terms of vocabulary. That prevents you from understanding the meaning!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 12:32 pm
Quote:
Despite the sequel's poor critical reception,most people who see the film find the acting and cinematography at least as good as or even better than those in the original.

A "sequel" is the second movie (or second book) with the same characters, continuing the plot.

People who liked the first creation are likely to want to watch the second.

In this case, the movie got poor reviews. All the same, most of the viewers felt that the acting, directing and film techniques were at least as good as the acting, directing and film techniques that made the original movie such a success.
0 Replies

tintin

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 08:03 pm
i still don't understand the difference between sequel and the original movie in this context.

please tell me a example,

lets say STAR WARS it has part-1,part-2,part-3 etc......so these are sequels ...right ?

Now, what is the meaning of "original" here ?

and when it says "acting and cinematography at least as good as or even better than those in the original" ......how does it work ?

Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 12:33 pm
Star Wars is the original.

Star Wars 2 is the sequel.

Star Wars 3 is another sequel.

The word "prequel" has been coined to cover movies (or books) in the same "world" that take place before the original work.

Once again:

The sequel was panned. The reviewers didn't like it.

Still, people who saw the movie thought that the reviewers were wrong; that the acting and camera work in the sequel were as good as the acting and camera work in the original.

Frequently professional reviewers and the general movie-going public disagree on the merit of film.
0 Replies