Do you know any kids that narrate their lives?

DrewDad

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 06:42 pm
With increasing frequency, Yaya will start a spoken narration of her activities.

"First the little girl picked up the paper and took it to the kitchen. Soon, she found some crayons and started to draw a picture...."

She performs the action while she's narrating it.

At first, I was simply amused. As she does it more frequently, I'm becoming concerned about social consequences if she does this around her friends.

Thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,195 • Replies: 32
No top replies

cyphercat

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 07:00 pm
I used to do this constantly! Laughing I guess it is a little odd; no one else ever says, "Hey, me too!" when I mention it...heehee. I don't think I did it out loud, but it was pretty much a constant track running in my mind for most of my childhood, even, if I'm gonna be way honest, into my teens-- what?! Don't look at me like that!

.....she snapped, then stomped off in a huff, hoping all the while that she looked okay from the back...
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 07:06 pm
Yaya is just going through a stage.....it'll pass.

My 9 year old is doing this now..."I gotta question...." every five minutes. I have a 10 year old niece doing it also....DRIVES ME BATTY!

I just smile, let him ask his question and then answer him. I know it'll pass soon too. But you put both of them together, and LAWDY!

Plus he's narrating alot of the shows he's watching...lmao
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 07:40 pm
I still do it.....
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 07:41 pm
I was just reading something about how this narrative stuff is really important, cognitively.

Sozlet did it for a bit, forget what age. How old is Yaya now?

I can't imagine it being a social problem at this point...
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 07:43 pm
Well, and now that I think about it, why not? I'm always imagining how I'd paint or draw things as I walk around, so why not be imagining how I'd write a description of it? It's just a kind of mental rehearsal, isn't it?

I'd imagine that YaYa will stop doing it out loud, but I bet continuing to do it as an internal thing might just lead to being a good writer...
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 07:43 pm
I don't know nothing about it, but it sounds awfully dang cute.
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 08:05 pm
There was a comedy called "Eat and Run" about 20 years ago where the main character (played by Ron Silver) does that throughout the movie. After watching it, from time to time my wife would start it.

In the movie, alien Murray Creature arrives on Earth, and devolops a taste for Italian (people, not food). It's best seen when you've had a few.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 08:15 pm
apparantly none of you have been watching that smash hit, "The Chai Tea Show"

It's on every day at, well, all the time.

I can't recall what age yaya is either, but I'm betting it's normal at her age.
I'm thinking of a little girl I knew, I'm betting she was yaya's age at the time....I was meeting with her dad, so we set her up in the conference room with the whiteboard and colored markers. When we came back in, she'd drawn a detailed picture of her family....if it had been to scale, she would have been about 7 feet tall, her mom and baby sister were equal size at about 5 foot, and dad....well....when I first saw the picture I asked "Is that your baby brother"?

Something about seeing yourself as the center of the universe....I think that goes away for awhile, and reemerges in a more annoying fashion during the teen years.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 08:20 pm
To say nothing of those who see themselves that way forever... Laughing
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 08:31 pm
The first time I realized I had been doing something like what you've described was when I heard Bill Cosby talking about how one of his characters was always humming the background music of his life.... then he went up the stairs..dah dum dah dum dahdum...

It may be part of the modern condition but we, everyone, sometime see our lives as movies or tele-plays or one-acts, sometimes with music, sometimes without, sometimes with narration ---- now Joe Nation has the ball, the clock is ticking down..... he fakes to his left and lets it fly!!!! ... OH!!!!! JUST SHORT!!! but HE GETS THE BALL AGAIN and and and

(who knows how that great season ended???)

The kid probably will become a fabulous screenwriter.

Do you remember in the movie "Almost Famous" where the kid imagines himself being interviewed?

Joe(he preparing for a life in the spotlight.)Nation
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 07:25 am
Perfectly normal--one of the symptoms of a child who has been read to and who has enjoyed being read to.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 07:28 am
Too bad you named a kid after a hard boiled egg.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 10:42 am
sozobe wrote:
How old is Yaya now?

Four.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 11:12 am
sozobe wrote:
I was just reading something about how this narrative stuff is really important, cognitively.

Do you recall where you read the article?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 11:33 am
I've been trying to remember that. I'll look around.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 11:38 am
Chai sits back, waiting for soz to find the information.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 08:42 pm
Concept Map

"self-narration is a complicated process" Cool

(lots of interesting reading on self-narratives through Google - one especially interesting one suggesting that ability to self-narrate is a crucial developmental marker - it's a Googlebook (who knows how to link those properly?)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 08:47 pm
Oh, goodie, I'm way developed..
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 08:58 pm
Encouraging, isn't it.

I thought that when I walked from the living room to the kitchen saying, "Beth is going to turn down the oven and check the broth, Beth is turning down the oven AND checking the broth", that I was just working a senior moment. Now I know, I'm self-narrating and that is a good thing.
0 Replies