de Maupassant's short stories

tintin

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 10:52 am
Many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics because of the author's famed and masterful use of irony, evidenced in the slow revelation of a tragic twist of fate at the end of each piece

evidenced in the slow revelation of a tragic twist of fate at the end of each piece Shocked

i dont know who is de Maupassant's ...neither i need it as of now .it seems he is a big author ...Anyway, i dont understand the meaning of that bold sentence

what it means ? i know the meaning of each words but when i merge those i don't get the actual meaning Sad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 794 • Replies: 4
No top replies

tintin

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 10:58 am
I tried to simplify it this way ...i think i am wrong ...but its start ..can you correct me ?

de Maupassant's short stories classics .
because , there are tragic twist at the end of each story.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 11:17 am
Hey, tintin. Love Guy de Maupassant's short stories.(pronounced "Ge and not Guy")

Among my favorites are The Necklace. (Talk about tragic irony), and A Piece of String which is another example of what you seek.

Simplify, if you can, by referring to the endings as tragically ironic.
0 Replies

SULLYFISH66

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 03:34 pm
Many of Guy de Maupassant's short stories have become classics because of the author's famed and masterful use of irony, evidenced in the slow revelation of a tragic twist of fate at the end of each piece

means . . .

This author's short stories have become "classics" (high level of literature that will be read for many years to come) because of his famous use of irony (opposite of what is expected). At the end of his stories, the plot slowly reveals a tragic, unexpected ending.
0 Replies

tintin

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 12:49 am
looks better now Very Happy
0 Replies