What is/are

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 08:42 am
Who is there at the door? (Even if there is more than one perspm, 'is' should be used.)

But about 'what'. There are a few things on the table. Do I say "What is on the table?" or "What are on the table?"

Many thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 582 • Replies: 6
No top replies

SULLYFISH66

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 09:29 am
I would ask "What is on the table?"

There is one table, it has a top, the top may contain many or just one thing. Your question asks more about the table than the items. Change table to "car" or "bed."

What is in the car? or What is on the bed?

However, the response may be "There are knives, forks, spoons, and dishes on the table."
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 09:53 am
Thanks, Sullyfish, so it is like 'Who is it?'
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 10:00 am
I think a standard rule of thumb is unless there is a noun signifying more than one use the singular verb.

Even if there are 4 chairs at a table you would ask "Who sits at this table?"
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 10:04 am
parados wrote:
I think a standard rule of thumb is unless there is a noun signifying more than one use the singular verb.

Hi Parados

I would like to clarify. If there are 4 people sitting at the table, I've to say "Who is sitting at the table?" Is that what you mean?

Many thanks.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 12:10 pm
Yoong Liat wrote:
parados wrote:

Hi Parados

I would like to clarify. If there are 4 people sitting at the table, I've to say "Who is sitting at the table?" Is that what you mean?

Many thanks.

Yes, I was pointing out all verbs, not just a form of the verb "to be", would be the singular.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 07:21 pm
Many thanks, Parados.

Yes, I was pointing out all verbs, not just a form of the verb "to be", would be the singular.

Could you please give me a couple of sentences so that I will have a clearer picture?

Thanks again.
0 Replies