editing of passage

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 08:20 am
Hi

Could someone please edit this short passage meant for Year 3 students for me. Thank you very much.

A kangaroo is a marsupial which is an animal that carries its baby in a pocket of skin on its body. It is a brown-skinned animal. With a pair of big ears, a long tail and a head like an antelope's, a kangaroo can grow up to 1.5 metres tall. Its tail can grow to 1.2 metres.

A male kangaroo is known as a buck and a female a doe. A baby kangaroo is called a joey. Like a loving mother cuddling her baby in her arms, a kangaroo safeguards its joey in its pouch - a safe and secure place for its young. A joey will remain in its mother's pouch for a period of 12-18 months.

If you want to see kangaroos, the best place is Australia.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 480 • Replies: 4
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 08:48 am
Re: editing of passage
My suggestion...

Kangaroos are marsupials, animals that carry their recently born young in a pouch on the front of their bodies. They are brown-skinned. With a pair of big ears, a long tail and a head like an antelope's, a kangaroo can grow up to one and a half metres tall. Its tail can grow to a length of one metre and twenty centimetres.

The males, females and young are called bucks, does and joeys respectively. Like a loving mother cuddling her baby, a doe safeguards her joey in her pouch, where it will remain until it is twelve to eighteen months old.

If you want to see kangaroos, the only place is Australia, since they are found nowhere else.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 08:51 am
Thanks, Contrex.

I didn't know kangaroos can only be found in Australia.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 09:09 am
Yoong Liat wrote:
Thanks, Contrex.

I didn't know kangaroos can only be found in Australia.

Kangaroos are found only in Australia, but members of the marsupial family can be found in various parts of the world. There are about 334 species of marsupials, over 200 of them native to Australia and nearby islands to the north. There are also 100 extant American species, mostly in South America but 13 species live in Central America, and one (the Virginia Opossum) in North America.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 09:11 am
Thanks, Contrex. for the information.
0 Replies