Surgery for obese young people?

dadpad

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 01:54 am
Montana wrote:

He said that this procedure may shrink the stomache so you can't eat as much, but many have turned to foods in liquid form, which are high in calories, such as ice cream, milkshakes, etc, and they end up gaining whatever weight they lost, many times even more.

That information has been well known for over 20 years. I also worked with a woman some 20 years ago. she has good things to say about the surgery. The surgery does not guarenteee success. It takes committment as well.

On the 9 news at present.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 01:56 am
Montana wrote:
...He said that this procedure may shrink the stomache so you can't eat as much, but many have turned to foods in liquid form, which are high in calories, such as ice cream, milkshakes, etc, and they end up gaining whatever weight they lost, many times even more.

That is exactly what the woman I mentioned earlier did, Montana! Liquidized all her favourite foods & on top of that, would snack almost non-stop on junk (then make herself vomit.) I figured (along with her sister, my friend) that she actually had an eating disorder. Well, clearly she did. She actually damaged/broke the clamp (I think that's what it was Confused ) from over-eating & was very ill & hospitalized for a while .... then she had repeat of the operation! Couldn't believe the doctors would do that, but they did. She refused the available counselling both times.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 01:57 am
The surgery does not guarenteee success. It takes committment and a change of lifestyle as well.

On the 9 news at present.

There is a trial being run at present according to the TV news artical.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 02:22 am
MsOlga, it's certainly not something I would do. Too many risks.

Dadpad, any surgery that puts my life at risk is not worth that risk.

Diet and exercise take a lot of commitment as well, but the problem is that the surgery doesn't take away their appetite for their favorite foods and they find ways to liquify them.

My doc doesn't like the success rate for this and I agree with him.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 02:28 am
All surgery has risks montana.

Fat people find it difficult to exercise. Reduce their BMI via surgery and it becomes easier to exercise.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 02:29 am
Montana

The woman I mentioned is the only person I know whose had this procedure. I really have no idea of the overall success/failure rate.

But I would have real concerns about young people going through this. Definitely.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 02:47 am
dadpad wrote:
All surgery has risks montana.

Fat people find it difficult to exercise. Reduce their BMI via surgery and it becomes easier to exercise.

If they survive the surgery and are able to stay committed to it, but if they can't commit to a diet, then they'll have just as much trouble commiting to the diet they're given after the surgery.

Losing lots of weight takes baby steps. First step if you're too big to exercise is to diet. Diet first and start exercising slowly by doing only what you can and then gradually you're able to do more and more.

It's torture at first because when your body is use to eating all the time, it craves food constantly and it takes a lot of will power.

I could sit here and eat all day and not gain an ounce, but it depends completely on what I eat. If I eat fruit all day in between normal meals, I'm good to go, but if I snack on twinkies and ho ho's all day, of course I'm going to gain a lot of weight.

MsOlga, I'm with you on the young ones and I agree with Jane that the parents should be feeding their kids healthier diets instead of throwing them all the processed stuff.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 09:45 am
The politicians are taking up this question because the money involved is public money.

Bariatric surgery--like any other medical or surgical procedure--should be decided by the doctor and the patient (or the patient's parents). These decisions should be made on a case-by-case basis.

Fine. Vote the money to pay for General Surgery for the deserving poor and then bow out.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 10:01 am
Before I ad anything to this thread, I just have to say that I am impressed to see a country that will attempt to give universal care ( to my understanding) of this magnitude.

the US wouldn't DREAM of things like this..

Even though it is still on the drawing board, I find the basic idea very impressive
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 04:33 pm
Shewolf

Sadly, health care in this country used to be a damn sight more "universal" than it now is. There are lots & lots of (poor) people who can't afford health insurance & who now wait for ages for essential surgery. Some are calling the situation a "health care crisis".
(Sorry if I've disillusioned you. Smile )
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 09:46 pm
This is a concern for me too MsOlga. If things continue the way they're going, we will eventually lose our universal health care.

Unless a person has a medical problem preventing them from losing weight, such as a thyroid condition, I don't think it should be covered.

Everyone can lose weight (unless medical problem interferes) and I don't think everyone else should have to pay for their lack of will power.
0 Replies