Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 01:32 am
Rockhead wrote:
hold the presses...

I too am astounded...
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 01:58 am
snood wrote:
Yeah, I agree that A2K is probably not being scanned by partisan operatives looking for strategic gems of rhetoric. Rolling Eyes

The rolling eyes icon suggests that you actually do believe A2K is being scanned for strategic gems of rhetoric.

Is this really the case?

It is so ridiculous a notion that I don't want to conclude, without inquiring, that you hold to it.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 07:25 am
I don't know....

It seems the bitterness and division between the right and left on A2K is pretty typical of the nation at large.

This might be a good place for a political operative to come to look at what resonates with right-leaning and left-leaning Americans.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 08:37 am
Not sure where to put this...

I heard this morning that Hillary said she is the best candidate to stand up against the Republicans in Washington. I don't know if she actually said that or if it was a Talking Head putting words in her mouth. I do know that it manifests why I will not be voting for Hillary. Bear -- I'm not a Democrat (or a Republican) so I stayed out of this thread. The LAST thing we need is someone who wants to continue the divide and Stand Up Against anyone. We need people who want to sit down together. So, no, I will not be voting for Hillary if she gets the nomination (unless she up against a fundy with a snowball's chance in hell of actually winning at election time).
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 08:50 am
Quote:
(unless she up against a fundy with a snowball's chance in hell of actually winning at election time).

I agree. I am not sure really why I have so much trouble with Hillary; but I admit I would rather Obama win. Not really sure why that either. I think I just like Obama better but I think they are both qualified.

I do know I would rather Ron Paul win McCain any day of the week if it has to be a republican even though I don't agree with many of his ideas concerning domestic issues. McCain sold out and lost his soul in my opinion and I think he would continue to pander to fundies to go on to another term. All he is about is being president.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 09:18 am
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
snood wrote:
Yeah, I agree that A2K is probably not being scanned by partisan operatives looking for strategic gems of rhetoric. Rolling Eyes

The rolling eyes icon suggests that you actually do believe A2K is being scanned for strategic gems of rhetoric.

Is this really the case?

It is so ridiculous a notion that I don't want to conclude, without inquiring, that you hold to it.

No, Finn - the rolling eyes are merely to accentuate the sarcasm - of course I don't believe operatives are busily weeding through A2K (just another example of why face-to-face communication is the only way to really read a person).
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 11:16 am
snood wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
snood wrote:

Is this really the case?

No, Finn - the rolling eyes are merely to accentuate the sarcasm - of course I don't believe operatives are busily weeding through A2K (just another example of why face-to-face communication is the only way to really read a person).

OTOH there is no guarantee that what is said here stays here. The media talk about what is being said on "the internets" all the time. I guess Finn forgot about how something posted on freerepublic.com become a national story. (The swiftboating of the Baltimore family re: S-chip)

A2K is not "freeper.com" but certainly it is possible for something here to become "viral" Look at that kid who did the "Leave Britney Alone" video, his video has now been shown multiple times on all the major cable news networks and he was invited to go on late night network TV and there was talk that he might get his own show.

I agree that operatives are not scanning A2K for ideas but they might scan Democratic Underground. And something said here could very well wind up there. My philosophy is to be the change we wish to see in the world. No man (or woman) is an island.

As per usual, Finn fails to think through his response.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 11:16 am
nimh wrote:
I dont think he was there for Ike yet... more than half of us werent, I'm guessing. And the Republican party we've gotten to know has little in common anymore with Eisenhower's politics.

Actually, among the reliably active members here, i think it might be half or more.

Nevertheless, the point about Eisenhower is well-taken. Cf. his warning about the military-industrial complex in his last state of the union. He also refused to get involved in the mid-east schemes and scams of England and France after getting burned in Persia in his first year in office. He told them to piss off over Suez in 1956, and he can't be blamed for failing to predict the outcome in Indochina. All in all, Eisenhower was the antithesis of these cowboy jokers in his foreign policy.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 01:36 pm
JPB wrote:
So, no, I will not be voting for Hillary if she gets the nomination (unless she up against a fundy with a snowball's chance in hell of actually winning at election time).
Ditto
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 08:11 am
edgarblythe wrote:
Nicky Kruschev was fond of saying, "Roosevelt proves America can run with a good president. Truman proves it can funtion well with a bad president. Eisenhower proves it can do well with no president at all."

Good one Smile

Rockhead wrote:
hold the presses...

Laughing
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 08:24 am
Based on last night's network debates, I believe, Edwards has the best chance of either winning himself, or helping Hillary win.

Unfortunately, the Republicans seemed too divided on illegal immigrants and health care.

Personally, I think Edwards is very different from the Southern Good 'Ole Boy image, to the point that Northerners see him as one of their own. Just an opinion.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 04:12 pm
snood wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
snood wrote:

Is this really the case?

Good. I was betting that you didn't believe such nonsense, and I was right.

I'm sure my faith in you has put a spring in your step.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 04:23 pm
Foofie wrote:
Based on last night's network debates, I believe, Edwards has the best chance of either winning himself, or helping Hillary win.

Unfortunately, the Republicans seemed too divided on illegal immigrants and health care.

Personally, I think Edwards is very different from the Southern Good 'Ole Boy image, to the point that Northerners see him as one of their own. Just an opinion.

As a former Northerner who moved south 25 years ago, I would not be surprised to learn that current Northerners subscribe to the Good Ole Boy stereotype as representing 90% of all Southerners.

However, I doubt his Northern supporters see him as one of their own as much as a rare Southerner who "gets it," and has the added charm of pulling of "Y'all"

There is a greater degree of racism to be found in the North than in the South, and Northerners, in general, tend to be regional bigots.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 07:57 pm
Quote:
There is a greater degree of racism to be found in the North than in the South, and Northerners, in general, tend to be regional bigots.

Would you agree with me that, when sweeping statements like the above are made, it would make sense to append either a link to something authoritative, or at least a little "IMO" at the end?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 08:56 pm
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Foofie wrote:

As a former Northerner who moved south 25 years ago, I would not be surprised to learn that current Northerners subscribe to the Good Ole Boy stereotype as representing 90% of all Southerners.

However, I doubt his Northern supporters see him as one of their own as much as a rare Southerner who "gets it," and has the added charm of pulling of "Y'all"

What are you saying? Northerners will, or will not vote for him en masse? As LBJ might have said, "Don't pussy foot around."
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 05:49 am
Hey Bear, congrats with the Hillary victory!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 06:07 am
The varying shades of bigotry in the USA are evenly spread about the states I have lived in, and I would suspect all the rest. I've lived for significant periods of time in Texas, California, New York, Rhode Island and Missouri. The only real difference is in the way it is expressed.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 07:22 am
I've never seen such an example of piling on as last night.

Hillary came on with a 2% lead as the polls closed at 8:00 and never lost it, not one time, and yet for the first 90 minutes all any of the talking heads could do was report the assumption that Obama was going to catch her and trounce her, and speak negatively about her.

well screw them and theirsnay saying selves... now they'll spend some time kissing her ass no doubt. Laughing

Madame President. I like the sound of that.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 07:53 am
Congrats, bear. You must be very pleased.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 07:53 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I've never seen such an example of piling on as last night.

Hillary came on with a 2% lead as the polls closed at 8:00 and never lost it, not one time, and yet for the first 90 minutes all any of the talking heads could do was report the assumption that Obama was going to catch her and trounce her, and speak negatively about her.

well screw them and theirsnay saying selves... now they'll spend some time kissing her ass no doubt. Laughing

Madame President. I like the sound of that.

If Hillary wins, it would be interesting to see her, as Commander In Chief, addressing the troops at some military function. The benefit? More young women might join the military. (It frees up males for combat roles, rather than doing many "support functions," as the women would then do. No different than Israel's military, where women are drafted, but are not put into front line combat situations during a war.)

This might be one way to not have a draft. Utilize the other 50% of the population in a volunteer military. I don't think it's that farfetched, since there was a time when mostly males were doctors, lawyers, accountants. Notice who is in medical schools, law schools, and accounting programs today.
0 Replies