what students do after school hours ?

tintin

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 04:08 am
Although computers can enhance people's ability to communicate, computer games are a cause of underdeveloped communication skills in children. After-school hours spent playing computer games are hours not spent talking with people. Therefore, children who spend all their spare time playing these games have less experience in interpersonal communication than other children have.

The argument depends on which of the following assumptions?

(A) Passive activities such as watching television and listening to music do not hinder the development of communication skills in children.
(B) Most children have other opportunities, in addition to after-school hours, in which they can choose whether to play computer games or to interact with other people.
(C) Children who do not spend all their after-school hours playing computer games spend at least some of that time talking with other people.
(D) Formal instruction contributes little or nothing to children's acquisition of communication skills.
(E) The mental skills developed through playing computer games do not contribute significantly to children's intellectual development.

Answer:

The correct answer is C.

Reasoning

What assumption does this argument depend on? The unstated assumption in an argument must be about the subjects discussed in the argument; it cannot be about a subject that is not mentioned. Here, playing computer games is said to replace talking with people. Thus the argument assumes that children who do not spend all their spare time playing computer games instead spend at least some of that time talking with people.
A Other activities, such as watching television, are not discussed in the argument.
B The argument is limited to after-school hours or spare time.
C Correct. This statement properly identifies the assumption on which the argument is based.
D Formal instruction is not discussed in the argument.
E Only the underdevelopment of communication skills is blamed on the games.
The correct answer is C.

My opinion:

i think answer should be B. because author might assume students have options either play videogames or talking with somebody . and thats why the two options are discussed with pros and cons . it seems to me B is valid as B has told "Most children have other opportunities" i.e video games or talking
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,710 • Replies: 5
No top replies

aidan

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 04:57 am
It wouldn't be B (as the question is phrased: "The argument depends on which of the following assumptions")
because B- "most children have other opportunities, in addition to after-school hours, in which they can choose whether to play computer games or to interact with other people" counters or contradicts the statement- it doesn't support it- so the argument doesn't depend on this particular assumption.
0 Replies

tintin

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 05:06 am
>counters or contradicts the statement

how ?

most children have other opportunities, in addition to after-school hours, in which they can choose whether to play computer games or to interact with other people

other opportunities ={ computer games,interact with other people} as per the sentence and its there in the argument also.

so , i don't see any discrepancy
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 05:34 am
The argument doesn't depend on the assumption that most children have other opportunities to talk to people at other times.

The task you were given was to choose the option that supported the assumption that playing video games after school LIMITED face to face social interaction and actual conversation for children.
B indicates that the argument put forth isn't (or doesn't necessarily have to be) true because children can talk to people at times other than afterschool hours. Thus the argument posited does NOT depend on the information contained in that particular statement (B).
0 Replies

tintin

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 05:37 am
Sad
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 05:44 am
I'm sorry I made you sad-I was just trying to help you understand why the test writer- and I- believe that C is a better answer than B.
0 Replies