Bunion Surgery

jodie34

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 10:10 pm
Those of you have had bunion surgery were the results good or bad. I have bunions on both feet and very miserable with the pain. My sister said she had gone to a Podiatrist and he told her she would have to learn to walk all over again if she had the bunions removed. Other people have told me they have never heard of such a thing. Who am I to believe?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,151 • Replies: 16
No top replies

eoe

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 10:51 pm
I had a bunion, a twenty-plus year old callous and several corns removed, all on one foot. It was wonderfully successful and after about two months, I was painfree for the first time in decades.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 11:14 pm
I had both feet done about 20 years ago. I waited until the pain got so bad I hadn't been able to wear regular shoes for 6 months and was taking Advil to keep from waking up at night in pain.

The surgery was no picnic, that's for sure. It's not the sort of surgery anyone should consider just to make their feet look better. But if you're in pain, you should definitely do it.

Yes, there is some physical therapy afterward, but it's not too bad. You will probably need to buy all new shoes, too. I went from a size 8-1/2C to a 9B.

There are a variety of procedures used, and new techniques are being developed all the time. Talk to orthopedic surgeons as well as podiatrists to find the procedure and recovery process you think you can best tolerate.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 11:19 pm
My sister had the surgery done about 20 years ago also. She had both feet done at the same time. To be honest with you, all I can see as a big difference in her feet then, and her feet now is the scar that runs along side both big toes. Both toes are still somewhat crooked and still cause her pain.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 11:27 pm
Things have changed in twenty years. My surgery was six years ago this month as a matter of fact. My mom had foot surgery about twenty or so years ago and it didn't go well for her either.
Advances are being made every day but I strongly suggest you go with a referral if at all possible.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 11:32 pm
That's too bad, mms. Sounds like her surgeon went for "the easy fix." Some surgeons just remove the extra bone (bunion) without realigning the ball joint itself. Of course, recovery is much easier that way. But if you don't solve the bad alignment that caused the bunion in the first place, you ultimately won't have good results.

My brother had bunion surgery a couple of years ago. (Yep, it runs in families, just like all of our bone structure.) They did both of his feet at the same time, and he needed help around the house for a couple of weeks. After that, he had walking casts for a few more weeks but still had to spend most of the day with feet elevated. He has not had any more pain since his recovery, and neither have I.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 11:33 pm
Quote:
Things have changed in twenty years. My surgery was six years ago this month as a matter of fact. My mom had foot surgery about twenty or so years ago and it didn't go well for her either.
Advances are being made every day but I strongly suggest you go with a referral if at all possible.

You've got a really good point! LOL
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 11:36 pm
eoe wrote:

Seconding the referrals. Ask your doctor for several. As I said, different doctors use different procedures, and oftentimes the recovery processes are quite different. This is one of those times when it can really pay to interview several doctors.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 11:41 pm
Eva wrote:
Quote:
That's too bad, mms. Sounds like her surgeon went for "the easy fix." Some surgeons just remove the extra bone (bunion) without realigning the ball joint itself. Of course, recovery is much easier that way. But if you don't solve the bad alignment that caused the bunion in the first place, you ultimately won't have good results.

Your'e probably right, the sad part is they did break both her toes to reset them, she was in cast for weeks afterwards.

He was the top Ortho in the state at the time, and a close family friend, so there were no second opinions, they put all their trust into him and left it at that. Looking back now, and knowing what I knew about the man...he was probably hungover the day of her surgery and did what was necessary to get the job done and left it at that.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 11:42 pm
Grrrrrr.

Makes me mad, just thinking about it. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 11:47 pm
Uhhhumm.....tell me about it. Major alcoholic.........
0 Replies

jodie34

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 08:29 am
Thanks everyone for sharing the experience you or someone in your family has had with Bunion surgery. I am going to ask my family doctor for a referal . It just kind of scares me with my sister saying a person has to learn to walk all over again. Is this true?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 08:31 am
Hell no.

And instead of asking your family doctor, who will just turn you onto a buddy of theirs, do you know of anyone who can possibly put you in touch with someone else who's had successful foot surgery? That's the type of referral I meant. Someone who can say, yes, I went to Dr. So-and-So and he/she is fantastic.

If all else fails, make appointments with a few doctors, arrive early and chat up other patients while in the waiting area.
0 Replies

jodie34

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 01:10 pm
You are right, if I ask for a referal from my family doctor he will probably refer me to one of his buddie's. I will see if I can be put in touch with someone who has had Bunion surgry with a doctor in my area. I have heard of Laser surgery also. Also going to several doctors for different opinions and talking with the patients in the waiting rooms would be great. Thanks for your help. I will let all of you know what the out come is.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 01:16 pm
Please do and good luck.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 01:51 pm
Hi.

Just to say have posted separately under foot fusion regarding final surgery.

I have rheumatoid so my bunion deformities and other problems etc are slightly different - but...

Have had extensive foot reconstruction, and would recommend for elimination of pain. My surgery wasnt easy - the learning to walk again is more about learning to walk for a while flat footed but this changes after the recovery period and I was able to walk normally after for a lengthy time. I had to wear absolutely horrible NHS (UK) velcro shoes for about 2 months! Not quite the fashion statement I would like to make. However, the result was good for me for a while.

I think it is imperative to have realignment. That can be done without breaking the bones. If realignment isn't done then similar problems can reoccur. But then they can reoccur anyway. When my toe starting moving back over after surgery I was also provided with splints to wear at night which keep the toe straight. Unfortunately, my rheumatoid decided not to let up so it was too painful to wear after a time. But I am sure that it could help without an active disease. Worth a try.

Every person is different and will have a different view. Personally I would recommend in order to take away the pain - and I know how terribly painful it is. You also need to weigh up risk of infection etc blah blah. At the end of the day - to be pain free outweighed the risks at that stage of my life.

Let me know if I can give you any more info.

Good Luck.
0 Replies

GoBeyond

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 11:41 am
@jodie34,
Before my surgery I spent hours looking for foot reconstruction and arthritis success stories but could not find one. Just today I completed writing my own and have made it available online: http://www.becomeknown.ca/BeyondBunionSurgery.html

I used to run, and was told to forget it, that I'd never run again. Yesterday I ran 5k for the first time since surgery this January 30th. Your beliefs do play a paramount part, and not believing other's limiting beliefs (even your surgeon's!) is as important.

Things have changed, technology and surgical skills are better, but there are also many things to consider. My story illustrates and lists them.

Do your research, listen to what is fact and separate it from belief. Science does not know everything, while they can do a lot.

All the best,
Cindy
0 Replies