Is sentence correct?

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 05:42 am
If my boyfriend had proposed to me last night, I would have accepted immediately.

Is 'had proposed ... last night' correctly used? I was taught when time is mentioned, in this case, 'last night', the simple past tense should be used. For example, 'I ate beef last night', not 'I had eaten beef' last night.

Am I correct?

Many thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 456 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 07:27 am
No, you are not correct--you are oversimplifying. The use of "had proposed" is required by the conditional which follows: "I would have accepted." The conditional ("would have accepted") takes place in the past (or would have, had the condition been fulfilled), and the proposal therefore (if it had occurred) would have taken place in an earlier past, a more distant past.

So, the anterior past, "had proposed" is used to indicate that earlier past, rather than the simple past to which the rule you were attempting to formulate refers.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 07:32 am
Thanks. Setanta.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 07:33 am
You are welcome, Yoong Liat. If you don't mind me asking, i am curious to know if you are simply a student of English, or if you also teach English.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 07:42 am
Setanta wrote:
You are welcome, Yoong Liat. If you don't mind me asking, i am curious to know if you are simply a student of English, or if you also teach English.

Hi Setanta

I'm both a student and tutor. I've been teaching English for many years and I strive for perfection. That's why I'll ask any question when I'm in doubt. I'm striving to improve my English every day so that my students will benefit from my knowledge. I tell my students that I'm like wine, which tastes better the longer it is kept. Similarly I'm improving every day with your help and that of other native speakers.

If you've any more questions, please feel free to ask me.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 08:02 am
I had thought that you also taught English, although i do not now remember why i had come to that conclusion.

Your English is excellent. Many, many years ago, while employed in the Department of French at a midwestern university, i also volunteered to teach English as a second language. At that time in 1980, an event took place which is known as the Mariel boatlift--you can read about the Mariel boatlift by clicking here. So many Cubans arrived in the United States unable to speak English, that the government sent those whom it had cleared for resident status to universities all over the country to learn English, and volunteers were pressed into service all over the United States. I had already encountered a book entitled English Grammar for Students of French, which had taught me more about English grammar than i had learned in my entire previous life, and it stood me in good stead in that time of need. Unfortunately, one usually learns one's language, and can learn to speak it well, without actually learning the formal rules of the language. That was more than 25 years ago, so i've probably forgotten more than i learned--but teaching English as a second language still taught me a great deal about my own language.

As i said, your English is excellent, and i applaud your efforts to improve. I would suggest to you that you now have a better command of the English language than many, perhaps than most, native speakers of English.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 08:14 am
Thanks, Setanta, for your compliments.

Like you, I improve English by reading English usage and Grammar books. I've read about 80 such books. Furthermore, I often refer to dictionaries for information. I usually read the example sentences provided. And I've about 12 dictionaries (about 5 of them are thick volumes).

I learn English every day. That's why I'm one of the posers who post almost every day.

I hope you're not getting bored reading what I've written.

Regards.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 08:21 am
If ever i were bored, i have the simple expedient of not reading what you write. No, you don't bore me, although you sometimes present problems for which i have no solution.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 08:25 am
Glad that you were not bored by me.

Regards
0 Replies