meaning of passage

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 09:13 am
"So it turned out they had saved me for money and nothing else. They had been searching for my will. Upon hearing her words, everything became clear: my body had died two times, but my spirit, my soul remained intact. I still had my siblings and relatives to turn to. Life was mine to claim. That is why tonight I am here to bid farewell to the deceased, just to know that I am still alive."

Could someone please explain what the passage is all about? Thank you very much.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 605 • Replies: 10
No top replies

SULLYFISH66

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 11:31 am
More surrounding information is needed.

Is this a passage from a book? What is the story?

It is a narrative, written in the first person.

What is it that you don't understand, in particular?
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 12:29 pm
Hi Sullyfish

This is all I've got. I would like you to put it in simpler English so that I will have a clever picture what the passage is about.

Many thanks.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 05:45 am
This seems to be a translation of "Just to know I'm still alive", a piece by Ngo Khac Tai, translated from Vietnamese by Manh Chuong, and appearing on this website:

http://www.nhandan.com.vn/english/culture/050108/sstory_j.htm

The setting is a Vietnamese funeral ceremony. The speaker is somebody called Mr Ha. He has been telling a story to the narrator, in which he recounts how his family and marital problems led to him to twice attempt suicide. The second time, when he swallowed pesticide, his wife and children rushed him to hospital and as a result, his life was saved. He thought they did this out of love for him, but he overheard them discussing where he might have hidden his will, and realised that they had saved him out of greed.

The extracted paragraph:

His relatives had saved him for money, not love. He had "died" (metaphorically, not really) twice, but his spirit had remained alive. He heard his wife wondering where his will was, and realised that he had good reasons to carry on living, and this was the reason he had come to the funeral ceremony, to bid farewell to the dead person, and to remind himself that he was still alive.

If you read the whole piece to which I linked above, much will become clear, I hope.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 06:10 am
Thanks, Contrex.

Nothing can defeat you. Whatever I ask which poses problems to others is finally solved by you. You're very knowledgeable. You know which website to look for to solve the 'mystery'.

I really admire you for your ability to delve into any problem.

All the best.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 06:27 am
Contrex - have you ever considered travelling to the far east? :wink:
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 06:32 am
Francis wrote:

What? like strasbourg
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 07:30 am
dadpad wrote:
Francis wrote:

What? like strasbourg

Or Pa-Pa-Palavas perhaps? (On connaît la chanson, Francis?)(Aussi un bon film style Dennis Potter)(OCLC, non LTDBV que j'aime aussi) That is east of me! (Nice place, few British tourists, nice hotels, pleasant beaches)

Alors je déconne...

Yoong Liat, thank you for your very kind words, which made me very happy, but which I fear I do not deserve, I merely know how to Google.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 08:37 am
Hi Contrex

You deserve every word that I said.

I'm very grateful to you.

Regards.
0 Replies

SULLYFISH66

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 09:39 am
Good job, Contrex!!
0 Replies