Annual List of 'Banned' Words Released: It Is What It Is

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 09:06 am
What words would you add to the list? I would add "you know" and "like".---BBB

Annual List of 'Banned' Words Released: It Is What It Is
Published: December 31, 2007
E & P

DETROIT Resist the urge to say you will "wordsmith" your list of New Year's resolutions rather than write one. And don't utter, "It is what it is" when you fail to meet your first goal.

Those are two of the 19 words or phrases that appear in Lake Superior State University's annual List of Words Banished from the Queen's English for Mis-Use, Over-Use and General Uselessness. The school in Michigan's Upper Peninsula released its 33rd list Monday, selecting from about 2,000 nominations.

Among this year's picks are "surge," the term for the troop buildup in Iraq. "Give me the old days, when it referenced storms and electrical power," Michael Raczko of Swanton, Ohio, said in nominating the word.

The list also included "perfect storm," "under the bus" and "organic." Also: "It is what it is," which Jeffrey Skrenes of St. Paul, Minn., said "accomplishes the dual feat of adding nothing to the conversation while also being phonetically and thematically redundant."

Sadly for grammar's guardians, the lighthearted list isn't binding, as evidenced by the continued use of past banned words and phrases such as "erectile dysfunction," "i-anything" and "awesome."

Still, university spokesman Tom Pink, part of a committee that evaluates submissions, takes his syntactic success where he can find it.

His office once received a letter from an Arizona Supreme Court justice who said he posted that year's list on a bulletin board and prohibited all attorneys from using those words.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,073 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 12:26 pm
Overuse of the word "Green". Mad
0 Replies

vid

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 12:31 pm
'Waaay', and 'no waaay' would feature in my list.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 01:23 pm
The dreadful "ewwww" gets my vote.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 01:27 pm
I'm getting to the point that i want to scream whenever i hear an announcer describe someone or something as "iconic."
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 01:46 pm
The word "arguably" is starting to grate on my ears and eyes. Usually it is used as a sly way of treating a contentious idea as definitively true, or as a means of discouraging disagreement before it surfaces.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 02:07 pm
Arguably, that's the iconic response . . . Eeewwwwww . . . i can't believe i wrote that !
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 02:18 pm
It is what it is, I guess. *rimshot*
0 Replies