This Old Mare Just Aint What She Used to Be...

eoe

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 10:01 pm
girl! Shocked
Hire somebody next time. Geez...
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 06:35 am
Yeah, I put it in "Aging" cause it was a wake-up call. (Does that still needa hyphen?) Believe me, it's hired out from now on.

Bear and I were used to setting up entire events ourselves for a long time. Hadn't considered that fifteen years later I probably shouldn't be doing some of the same things cause I wouldn't bounce back the same way. Actually, I don't think I bounced at all. Just a thud. I've always been the "Hey, it needs doing. I'll do it." kinda person. Probably my farm upbringing. If rains moving in you get the hay up... fast!

Doing okay this morning. A bit stiff but I think it'll work itself out with movement and more work today to finish up for the party. The extra dose of Ibuprofen at midnight did help. Vicodin? I wouldn't be up before noon.

Oh, and my thigh bruise is gorgeous! Beautiful colors not normally found in nature and they are all mine! Laughing
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 06:42 am
Oy and ouch. Glad it wasn't worse. Pictured those glorious colors before you mentioned them. The deep purple in a raised bump. The bump dissolves, and you're left with purple to greenish. Something to look forward to.

Sighing with relief that you and Bear are ok.

(Yes, wake-up call gets a hyphen.)
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 06:51 am
On any ladder always maintain 3 points of contact.

A harness may be effective in stopping you from overbalancing. Its surprising how effective even a correctly adjusted rope tied around your waist and to the ladder is.

Stretching to reach and standing on the top step are two key unsafe work practices. Get down and shift the ladder. It will save time protect you from injury.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 06:57 am
I get what you are saying. But, I had to laugh at the thought of Bear and I having been tied to the ladders during this dance. Crap! That's still trying to play out in my minds eye. Very Happy

My loss of central vision years back has thrown off my depth perception and I still forget that sometimes. I think that played a part.

(BTW, he doesn't know it yet, but Roger is my new boyfriend for calling me a "kid.")
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 07:41 am
dadpad probably wouldn't like the ladder-walking technique I learned on theater decks years back: climb down to about the 8 or 10 foot rung, and gently rock ladder while twisting side to side. never saw it go wrong, but it certainly could have. big time saver, tho.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 08:14 am
Pdog, I once saw the theatrical ladder-walking move go wrong. Or rather, I found the guy dangling upside down after he attempted it. He was okay, but still has the limp twenty+ years later.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 08:22 am
patiodog wrote:
dadpad probably wouldn't like the ladder-walking technique I learned on theater decks years back: climb down to about the 8 or 10 foot rung, and gently rock ladder while twisting side to side. never saw it go wrong, but it certainly could have. big time saver, tho.

You'd be very correct in your assumption Pdog. You'd also be looking for another job.

Its all fun and games till someone gets hurt. Then its feed the lawyers time.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 08:37 am
Squinney--

What a way to end the Old Year!

As far as I'm concerned, you've earned a place in Aging. If you behave, you may also qualify for Elder Care.

This qualifies you to pamper your aches tomorrow--perhaps even tonight.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 09:09 am
dadpad wrote:
patiodog wrote:

You'd be very correct in your assumption Pdog. You'd also be looking for another job.

Its all fun and games till someone gets hurt. Then its feed the lawyers time.

Yep.

Oddly enough, though, the only place I ever got hurt was the most safety-oriented shop I worked in. Still was the result of young dumb decision making.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 09:17 am
Yowch!

Don't overdo it today/ tonight. Any more delegation possible? You in a nice comfortable chair calling the shots while others actually do stuff?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 10:34 am
Squinney
Be glad you and Bear didn't fall off the ladder in ancient Egypt:

http://www.crystalinks.com/egyptmedicine.html
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 03:29 pm
Oh Squinney, I just found this thread. Please follow all the good advice.

Cabernet, aspirin, whatever it takes to feel better. And do see a doctor if the pain doesn't go away in a reasonable amount of time.

A "gentle" hug...{{{{{{{{{{ Sqinney }}}}}}}}}}
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 07:33 pm
Well, all is well that ends well.

No chance to take it easy or delegate. The big party was last night and I'm just now getting a chance to sit down. Finished up around 3am and back cleaning up for 8 hours today. No where near clean / finished! My GOSH! We must have had fun! The clubhouse ... I guess as they say, it aint a party until somebody pukes. Great age range, too. We had the thirty somethings all the way up to the 70 somethings all on the dance floor.

Quote:
Ancient Egyptian Medicine - Smith Papyrus - Ebers Papyrus

The practices of Egyptian physicians ranged from embalming, to faith healing to surgery, and autopsy. There was not the separation of Physician, Priest and Magician in Egypt. It would not be unusual for a patient to receive a bandage for a dog bite, for example, a paste of berries and honey and a incantation said over the wound as well as a magical amulet for the patient to wear. Healing was an art that was addressed on many levels. .....

BBB - I'm pretty sure there were some incantations when we fell, but I can't remember exactly what was said. Very Happy

Still sore, but nothing to see a doc about. I'll keep the Ibuprofen handy. The Cabernet is all gone.
0 Replies

dant

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 07:45 pm
squinney wrote:
The back pain is kidney area, but seems to be more muscle related. No bruising there. Nice big ones on my thigh and ankle. Those should be real pretty in a few days. Good thing I don't need to wear my little Gucci dress tomorrow night. Laughing

Dant - Welcome to A2K. I saw you when you joined the other day but did not have time to respond. Hope you stick around.

(goes to retrieve heating pad.)

Thanks, squinney. Glad you're feeling better; what a way to start the New Year!

I plan to stick around.....you guys seem like a lot of fun. I promise I won't mention the word ladder......... :wink:
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 08:40 pm
Dant, glad to have you join us for the new year. You sound like a good addition to an already good group of people.
0 Replies

dant

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 11:54 pm
Diane wrote:
Dant, glad to have you join us for the new year. You sound like a good addition to an already good group of people.

Thank you, Diane! How sweet of you to say so. I'm glad to be here Very Happy
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 12:07 am
Just found this Squinney and am so glad you and Bear are ok.

That sounded like quite a fall!

What's cool about bruises is they keep changing color until they're gone Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 01:16 am
Adding a glad re dant too...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 01:18 am
I gather they're getting their money's worth, Squinney.
0 Replies