This Old Mare Just Aint What She Used to Be...

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 08:05 pm
Bear and I were putting up truss / scaffolding and lighting for the big Disco party tomorrow night.

Don't remember how it happened, but I came off a 7 foot ladder, hitting my head, ankle, and back... landed on one of the Par Can lights... Brought down (domino style) the pipe and drape and Bear who was on the ladder beside me, throwing him across the room and into a table.

I'm sure it was graceful. My slow motion perception of the event as it happened assures me of this. My back does not.

I kept moving for another five hours, had to get things done. Just got home to sit down and check the boo-boo on my ankle and realized my back is killing me. Not sure I want to know how I'll feel in the morning.

I took 800 mg Ibuprofen. Do you think that's enough?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,841 • Replies: 39
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 08:10 pm
Yes.

Til about midnight.

~~~

Yikes.

~~~

Go take a hot shower.
0 Replies

dant

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 08:11 pm
My goodness! I just read your story. Have you checked for any swelling/bruising on your back? Try alternating with ice/heat for 15 minutes of each on your back and see if that helps. If 800mg isn't helping you should check with the doc in the a.m. Backs can be tricky things. How is Bear? Sounds like he went for a ride too. I sure hope you're feeling better, take it easy!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 08:15 pm
That's rough, all right. Since you didn't describe any injuries to bear, I assume he is okay?
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 08:17 pm
Oh no, squinney! That sounds awful. Please take it easy, and I hope your back (and other parts) are better in the morning.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 08:19 pm
I was popping 3 g of ibuprofen a day last spring after i blew my disk. only thing that got me through, having to stand for surgery for 2 weeks with a herniated disk, then going down to mexico with it (which wasn't bad -- felt much better floating in salt water).

if you need something for a long time, i'd recommend you go to the doc and get something stronger if you can. those nonsteroidals can be hell on your gut at those doses.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 08:30 pm
Not to mention damage to kidneys and G.I. tract that can be lasting...
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 08:39 pm
Bear whacked his arm pretty good on the table. A bit jostled, but likely to feel better than me tomorrow since he is in better shape to start with. He also had a show tonight, so won't stop to feel his pain until around 2am. That may be better for him, keeping moving, though I doubt he would agree with me at the moment.

Okay, so if 800 is good until midnight I'll put 800 more on my nightstand. I was blessed with an iron stomach, so I don't think that amount will bother me. (3g might!- Geeze, Patio!)

I've never been afraid of heights or ladders. I did "get back on" as I was taught to do. This was just a little reminder that I'm no longer a spring chicken and might need to consider hiring out for some of the bigger stuff like Disco building. Very Happy
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 08:44 pm
Can you sue the venue?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 08:47 pm
The back pain is kidney area, but seems to be more muscle related. No bruising there. Nice big ones on my thigh and ankle. Those should be real pretty in a few days. Good thing I don't need to wear my little Gucci dress tomorrow night. Laughing

Dant - Welcome to A2K. I saw you when you joined the other day but did not have time to respond. Hope you stick around.

(goes to retrieve heating pad.)
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 08:52 pm
dadpad wrote:
Can you sue the venue?

The venue is the community clubhouse for which I am the activities director. I love my job. I wouldn't sue. I mean, I'm telling you all 'cause you are my friends. I can't imagine having to describe my acrobatics to strangers.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 08:58 pm
Ok, sue bear instead.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 08:59 pm
I'm only kidding around guys.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 09:04 pm
I guess the good news is that I walked in the house, went to the kitchen, opened the pantry ....

And, chose Ibuprofen over the Castle Rock Cabernet.

It did take a few minutes to decide which would be better.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 09:05 pm
Good grief! Thank goodness your injuries weren't worse than they are! Hope you recouperate soon.

I would have gone for the Cabernet... Laughing
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 09:18 pm
And, I would have asked what you were doing in MY house. Shocked
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 09:21 pm
squinney wrote:
And, I would have asked what you were doing in MY house. Shocked

Having a cabernet apparently.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 09:25 pm
Will somebody please move this out of Aging & Elder Care, and into something like maybe Life at Work, or something. Doesn't seem right; these kids busting in here.

Squinney, if you have doubts in the next few days, don't hesitate to see a doctor. I hate 'em too, but maybe that's better than waiting a few months, only to hear "If only you had come in sooner. . . ."

But you probably won't need to, anyway.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 09:54 pm
squinney wrote:
Okay, so if 800 is good until midnight I'll put 800 more on my nightstand. I was blessed with an iron stomach, so I don't think that amount will bother me. (3g might!- Geeze, Patio!)

The ER guy told me I could take that much in a day for a short time -- but, then, he just thought I was having muscle spasms, gave me a few vics to play with, and probably figured it would be over soon.

Snood ain't kidding about the ibuprofen et al., though: I've seen animals die from taking them for a long time, and not at very high doses, either. Can't imagine they're any better for people.

Anyway, opioids are a lot safer. Just a little risk of dependence and maybe constipation, compared with gastrointestinal bleeding and perforation and/or renal failure.

(I mean, they may not work as well on the actual pain, but they're a lot more fun...)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 10:00 pm
Squinney might have wanted it in Aging and Elder care, girl has a sense of piquance...
0 Replies