Many breakfast cereals are fortified with vitamin

tintin

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 01:00 am
Many breakfast cereals are fortified with vitamin supplements. Some of these cereals provide 100 percent of the recommended daily requirement of vitamins. Nevertheless, a well-balanced breakfast, including a variety of foods, is a better source of those vitamins than are such fortified breakfast cereals alone.

can you please tell me the meaning of fortified

i understand only FORT but whats the meaning of "..Many breakfast cereals are fortified with vitamin supplements..."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,021 • Replies: 8
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 01:13 am
fortified = made stronger
0 Replies

tintin

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 01:26 am
what i understand is :

cereals are rich in vitamins and are 100 % daily vitamin supplier .

But still , breakfast with variety foods are better ....BUT WHY ?

what do they mean by "..better source of those vitamins" ?

i still don't understand the crude difference between them.

i don't understand why one is better than the other.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 01:30 am
"Many breakfast cereals are fortified with vitamin supplements."

In the context of the sentence above, "fortified" means "enriched," which in this case means "to improve the nutritive value of."

But a well balanced breakfast is still better because you get other nutrients that a fortified cereal alone may not have.
0 Replies

tintin

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 03:35 am
InfraBlue wrote:

But a well balanced breakfast is still better because you get other nutrients that a fortified cereal alone may not have.

still better ? but they told cereals can give 100% vitamin supplements.

greater than 100% is not possible .

i still don't understand how "well balanced breakfast is still better" Sad

please guide
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 03:51 am
Fortified breakfast cereal contains only corn or wheat plus added vitamins.

Typical balanced breakfast recommendation

At least three of the following foods:

• One-ounce equivalent of grains
• One cup equivalent of fruit or vegetables
• One cup equivalent of milk or calcium-rich foods, such as one cup of milk, one cup of yogurt or 1-1/2 ounces of natural cheese, or 2 ounces of processed cheese.
• One-ounce equivalent of protein, such as 1 ounce of lean meat, poultry or fish, one egg, 1 tablespoon peanut butter, one-quarter cup cooked dry beans or a half-ounce of nuts or seeds.

A balanced breakfast has more variety of ingredients. More nutritious and better for health.

Your questions are now more about nutrition than English.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 06:29 am
Advertising companies are not interested in accurate education. Advertising companies are interested in selling--in this case selling cereal.

The concept of "fully fortified" doesn't hold up to careful examination because it is inaccurate.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 07:34 am
The word "fortified" is commonly used, at least in the UK, for food products that have had extra nutrients added for medical reasons, to do with nutrition. For example, margarine has been fortified with Vitamin D since the 1920s. Dried milk and cereals intended for infants have been fortified with calciferol in the UK since 1940 approximately. Often commonly used materials such as flour will be fortified with vitamins to combat deficiency diseases in zones of the world where malnutrition is a problem.

However, the borrowing of medical terms by the food industry to give a spurious air of respectability to its products has a long and shameful history.

A balanced diet is so much better and usually cheaper than buying commercial junk with fancy labelling full of medical terms and healthy-sounding vitamin ingredients.
0 Replies

tintin

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 09:08 am
ah...thats fantastic ....increased my comfort level Very Happy
0 Replies