Quote:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 851 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Eorl

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 06:42 am
a sad, sad day...one I fear will be a bad turning point in Pakistani history.

I wonder if the criminal was expecting a bunch of virgins and eternal glory for his deeds.

Her poor kids.

(sigh)
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 08:46 am
That old virgin thing is wearing a bit thin considering how diverse the suicide bombers are; sometimes women; small children...

Anyway:

Quote:
The al-Qaeda commander in Afghanistan, Mustafa Abu al-Yazid, has claimed responsibility for her assassination, according to the Asia Times newspaper.

source
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 06:31 pm
And leaving some aspects of foreign policy in tatters.
0 Replies

anton

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 01:21 am
From what I can see the US government supports those it wants to exploit such as Saddam Hussein's government, Osama bin Laden and when it has no further use for them they are demonized, the message I have for Pakistan's, Pervez Musharraf is, "Don't turn your back on your American ally, they're about to demonize you."
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 10:39 am
Militants, Bhutto aides allege cover-up

Quote:
ISLAMABAD, Pakistan - An Islamic militant group said Saturday it had no link to Benazir Bhutto's killing and the opposition leader's aides accused the government of a cover-up, disputing the official account of her death.

All in all; it seems pretty convenient for Musharraf to have the blame shift to AQ. Not saying they didn't do it; I don't know; they could have.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 06:22 am
You forget that the power to the military comes from an external irritant i.e. the Kashmir checkmate. The majority of Kashmiris are Muslims and they want to join with Pakistan but India reneged on holding a plebiscite to determine its political fate. India instead sent Indian troops into Kashmir. Mind you, I prefer Kashmir under a secular government rather than a Jihadist Islamic state. As much as I abhor fundamentalists I am on side of the Muslims on this. If Kashmir was allowed to join with Pakistan, the military and the Jihadists would lose their power.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 07:02 am
Tragically, political violence has been the bane of modern South Asia, from Afghanistan and Pakistan east to Bangladesh. Militants and fanatics of all stripes and dogmas and grievances have assassinated leaders since much of the region gained independence from Britain in the mid 1940s. It has been a formidable hindrance to development of political institutions.

In New Delhi, Mohandas K. Gandhi was killed in 1948 by an outraged Hindu. Pakistan's first prime minister, Liaquat Ali Khan, was assassinated in 1951--in the same Rawalpindi park where Benazir Bhutto was attacked--and General Zia ul-Haq perished in a still mysterious plane crash in 1988. In Sri Lanka in 1959, Prime Minister S.W.R.D Bandaranaike fell victim to a fanatic Buddhist monk, the first of two generations of more than a half-dozen leading politicians to die in shootings and bombings. (Tamil Tiger rebels would later try but fail to kill Bandaranaike's daughter, Chandrika Kumaratunga, when she was president.) Sheikh Mujibir Rahman, founder and first Prime Minister of independent Bangladesh, was murdered in 1975; in 1981 Bangladeshi President Ziaur Rahman, was shot in an army coup. Nepal's entire royal family was wiped out in one evening in Kathmandu in 2001, apparently by a disaffected crown prince.

Hindus and Muslims killed one another by the hundreds of thousands after the partition of British India in 1947 into Pakistan and modern India. And compared with Pakistan since then, India has experienced much more large-scale sectarian and political violence, with thousands of Sikhs butchered in the streets of Delhi and elsewhere in North India after Indira Gandhi's assassination in 1984, and up to 2,000 Muslims slaughtered by Hindu nationalists in Gujarat--Mahatma Gandhi's birthplace--in 2002. In both cases, political parties have been deeply implicated yet no political leader has been punished--in a democracy.

As the world mourns the loss of Benazir Bhutto, it would be myopic to focus only on Islamic-inspired violence and on Pakistan. This is a region with a turbulent post-independence political history. Our (Islamophobic?) preoccupation with Muslim terrorism in Pakistan and Afghanistan often blocks out a bigger picture. From end to end, South Asia is a region drenched in blood.
http://www.thenation.com/doc/20080107/crossette2
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 08:20 am
Doctors Cite Pressure to Keep Silent On Bhutto

Quote:
RAWALPINDI, Pakistan, Dec. 31 -- Pakistani authorities have pressured the medical personnel who tried to save Benazir Bhutto's life to remain silent about what happened in her final hour and have removed records of her treatment from the facility, according to doctors.

In interviews, doctors who were at Bhutto's side at Rawalpindi General Hospital said they were under extreme pressure not to share details about the nature of the injuries that the opposition leader suffered in an attack here Dec. 27.

"The government took all the medical records right after Ms. Bhutto's time of death was read out," said a visibly shaken doctor who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the issue. Sweating and putting his head in his hands, he said: "Look, we have been told by the government to stop talking. And a lot of us feel this is a disgrace."

Ministry backtracks on Bhutto sunroof claims

Quote:
In the letter, Minallah said the doctors "suggested to the officials to perform an autopsy," but that Saud "did not agree." He noted that under the law, police investigators have "exclusive responsibility" in deciding to have an autopsy.

Minallah told CNN that he was speaking out because the doctors at the hospital were "threatened."

"They are government servants who cannot speak; I am not," he said. He did not elaborate on the threats against the doctors.

He said the lack of an autopsy has created "a perception that there is some kind of cover-up, though I might not believe in that theory."
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 01:56 pm
Benazir was a personable, brave, and thoroughly Westernized woman,
whose political style was nonetheless akin to that of the shah of Iran,
or any of the other flamboyant despots who have ruled over that area of the world with the approval of the West.
She spoke excellent English, her first language,
but her Urdu needed work, and as for her Sindhi - suffice to say that she was, in many ways, a foreigner in her own country.
Her distance from ordinary Pakistanis was underscored by the fact that she built herself a presidential palace that Dalrymple deftly described as resembling "the weekend retreat of a particularly flamboyant Latin-American industrialist" - this in a country where grinding poverty is endemic and the national debt is enormous. "
http://www.antiwar.com/justin/?articleid=12141
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 11:47 pm
That seems like a fair justification not to vote for her, rather than shooting her and blowing her up along with a bunch of her mates.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 06:42 am
Considering the jury is still out so to speak on who or how Bhutto got killed; it is a bit premature to blame anyone yet. The government of Pakistan is being awfully secretative and contradictory for some reason. If they knew for sure Islamic extremist did it; why all the attemps to manipulate events after and right before her death? They are acting as though they have something to hide whether they actually do or not. Given all the events which happened before this with the declared state of emergency; I wouldn't be so quick to cast blame elsewhere just because it fits in with preconcieved notions.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 11:01 am
Scotland Yard to help in Bhutto probe

Quote:
ISLAMABAD, Pakistan - Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf said Wednesday that he had requested a team of investigators from Britain's Scotland Yard to assist in the investigation into the killing of opposition leader Benazir Bhutto.

We decided to request a team from Scotland Yard to come. I sent the request to (British) Prime Minister (Gordon) Brown, and he accepted the request," Musharraf said, adding that the British team would assist local investigators.

"We would like to know what were the reasons that led to the martyrdom of Benazir Bhutto. I would also like to look into it," Musharraf said in a nationally televised address.

Opposition officials have rejected the government's version of events surrounding Bhutto's killing in a suicide attack after a rally Thursday and demanded an international investigation.

Musharraf's nearly 30 minute speech was his first major address since Bhutto's slaying.

"This is a time for reconciliation and not for confrontation," he said.

"The nation has experienced a great tragedy. Benazir Bhutto has died in the hands of terrorists. I pray to God almighty to put the eternal soul of Benazir at peace," he said.

Following Bhutto's death, rioters rampaged through the streets for days, burning cars and shops and accusing the government of being behind her killing. The government has denied the charge and blamed al-Qaida linked militants for her death.

Musharraf blamed "many miscreants and some political elements" of taking advantage of the tragedy to loot and plunder, adding that the government would deal sternly with anyone who disrupts law and order.

Musharraf also said he had wanted to hold parliamentary elections as scheduled on Jan. 8, but he deferred to the decision of the election commission earlier in the day to postpone them for six weeks due to the violence.

"The election commission has taken a timely and correct decision," he said. "We will hold free, fair, transparent and peaceful elections."

He also reached out to Bhutto's supporters, saying that she worked to promote democracy and end terrorism.

"My mission is also the same," he said.

"We need to fight terrorism with full force, and I think that if we don't succeed in the fight against terrorism, the future of Pakistan will be dark," he said. "I appeal to the people and the nation, and to the media to support the government and the security agencies."
0 Replies