Exercise Goals for 2008

George

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 04:42 pm
@Joe Nation,
HackCough wrote:
Sick, sick sick yet....>
I got sick the Sunday before the NYC Marathon, (Oct 26) I wrote it down because I wanted to see how long it would take me to stop coughing.

Today is Nov 9th.... I'm still coughing. I actually took a day off of work last weekend, but I think that was more a reaction to not being in the marathon. (I got really depressed about it, but I'm over that now. On we go.)

So isn't about time to tell this tale to someone with "MD" after his or her name?
Hmmmmmm?
ehBeth

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 05:31 pm
@George,
Dancing, walking. It's good.

0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 08:30 pm
Quote:
So isn't about time to tell this tale to someone with "MD" after his or her name?
Hmmmmmm?

You sound like all those people on the subway I was coughing on today.

Joe(not hack cough, jerk cough)Nation

Hey, wait a minute....
ehBeth

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 08:31 pm
@Joe Nation,
Can I offer you a Cold-Eeez? <ahchoo>

0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 12:43 pm
Week 45
25.1 miles

Scheduled cumulative mileage: 900
Actual cumulative mileage: 935.0

[ Running like a watch through Elgin SC on the virtual jog to Georgia]
jespah

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 06:41 pm
@George,
One big exercise goal was to get certain numbers better in terms of medical tests.

We had a health fair at work today so I got a preview (I'll see my doc in January). Here are the #s. Read 'em and weep.

Cholesterol: 156 (it was 199 this past January. Anything under 200 is good).
Blood sugar: 91 (anything under 110 is good for fasting and I wasn't fasting!).
Pressure: 125/72 (120/80 is good, and the lower # is generally the one they care about you getting low. Mine has never been high so this is actually not much different from what I've experienced for years).

Oh, and BMI is now 39.4. Normal is 18.5 - 24.9 so yes, I have a ways to go, but 40 and up is Extreme Obesity.

Hence I am Obese, not Extremely Obese, for the first time in I believe about 10 years.

Never thought I'd be happy to be obese but there ya have it. Smile
ossobuco

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 06:51 pm
@jespah,
Yaaaay for Jespah, you do right, Girl.
jespah

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 10:22 am
@ossobuco,
Thank you. I had had a big cholesterol-lowering last year (240 to 199), just from eating in more often and going from 1% milk to skim and using cholesterol-lowering margarine and trying to eat more fiber. Didn't lose weight that way but did get better #s. So I thought I wouldn't get quite such a bounce.

I'm glad to be wrong.
sozobe

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 10:30 am
@jespah,
Yay Jes.

I started coughing, whew, must have been about a month ago now. Fluctuations within there (a bit better, a bit worse, a bit better, WAY worse, better, etc.), but today, for the first time since this started, the weirdest thing happened when I woke up this morning... I felt energetic!

Going to run with Trackmom this afternoon. Will try hard not to push too much since the last thing I need is to send myself back into a tailspin. But I've hated not exercising and am somewhat hopeful that I can finally get back into a groove...
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 11:38 am
Yay for Jes & Jes' numbers! My highest BMI was 45.3; it's currently 27.4. I celebrated being obese and later, being overweight. And one of these days, I really want to celebrate being normal!

And yay for soz's energy levels. I'm glad to hear you're feeling better.
jespah

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 04:25 pm
@mac11,
Thanks.

Glad you're doing better, soz.
sozobe

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 05:38 pm
@jespah,
Running was so nice!!! Ahhhh. I kept it to two laps because I really want to keep the health I have now so am trying to be sane about it -- test things a bit before going whole-hog. So far so good.

The first 100 yards or so were whoo, flying! One of those things where you don't really notice pain until you notice you don't have it... (before this sickness-mandated rest, I was always kinda ache-y and pain-y just from working out 3-5 times a week). Everything was fresh and un-sore.

Then at about 200 yards I had to work a bit more, and I definitely felt it by the end of the lap. Still nice though.

Trackmom didn't really exercise when I was out of commission so also has to get back into it. That was actually good for me to know 'cause I'd worried a bit that I was cramping her style -- she's seemed more capable than me of doing more -- but this reinforces that it really is win-win, that we help each other by working out together.
Joe Nation

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 07:09 am
@sozobe,
Way to go, soz.

Joe(i'm off to run a race with Thomas)Nation
ossobuco

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 11:54 am
@Joe Nation,
Woo hoo, have fun, you two.. (it's probably over by now..)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 12:42 pm
@Joe Nation,
With Thomas? Serious? That's awesome...

Do report back!
Joe Nation

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 09:14 pm
@sozobe,
Well, I left my phone on the bathroom sink so Thomas and I never met up. There were nearly 6,000 runners and their families crammed into the Mall. I kept hoping just to run into him, but, no.
It was windy, chilly and overcast.

Here's my news:
I have been running faster. Instead of just jogging along at 10-11 minute miles I have been alternating REALLY FAST with pretty darn slow 1/2 miles, doing about five miles (Okay three miles) of that at a time. It paid off today.
I set a new Personal Record for Four Miles 35:32 8:53 average pace.

Joe(I missed seeing Thomas though)Nation
Thomas

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 09:18 pm
@Joe Nation,
I was hoping to see you in the long line in front of the baggage claim. (Do you have any idea what went wrong there?) I was slower this time than last time -- about 59:00. But one small victory was getting the XL-version of the T-shirt as always, and finding it too wide.
Joe Nation

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 05:33 am
@Thomas,
So sorry I missed you.

Wasn't that line a disaster?? I met a woman named Amanda while waiting in that line and, after not moving for twenty minutes, she and I did what all sportscar drivers do, we moseyed up the line, almost to the front and slid in as sweetly and as gently as we could.
AH!
Quote:
But one small victory was getting the XL-version of the T-shirt as always, and finding it too wide.
AND you still beat an hour, man, well done!!

Joe(see you in December, if not before)Nation
sozobe

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 03:32 pm
@Joe Nation,
Good job, Thomas and Joe!

I'm wimpy enough that if it's snowing, I don't want to run outside, so yesterday and today gymmed instead. (It's a trial membership at hopefully more-perfect gym #3 -- see Maporsche's "Exercise Goals for 2009" for details.) Cruised along really nicely on the treadmill yesterday for 1.25 miles, continuously... it was at a slow pace but much less difficult than I expected. (We had just worked up to doing two continuous laps -- or half a mile at a time -- before I got sick. This was the equivalent of five continuous laps.)

Today we did stationary bike things for half an hour (about 10 miles), at the "random" setting (various difficulties).
ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 04:43 pm
@Thomas,
[Go, Thomas!]
0 Replies