Exercise Goals for 2008

JPB

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 12:35 pm
JPB wrote:
Walk 500 miles (10 per week avg)
Weights 2 - 3 times per week

Refinement for January --

Walk on even days, lift on odd days. It works better with my goofy eating plan.

Jan 1 -- shoulders, abs, back, chest (check)
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 03:46 pm
sozobe wrote:
Gym 3 X a week... sustained. (I keep starting that, and then something interrupts. Lately holiday scheduling.)

After that's actually been sustained for a while, plan to add stuff. Walking or running on non-gym days, and/or adding more gym days.

But short-term -- say the next month or two -- just want to sustain the 3 X week gym schedule.

When's your first gym day?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 05:08 pm
First? Last year sometime, I guess. (Not in the coy "yesterday" sense, but I think I started there in about Feb of '07...)

First gym day of 2008 is tomorrow. (More about that on the A2K weight loss thread...)
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 05:16 pm
Stop being lazy and work on my triceps with overhead dumbbell presses.
Incorporate more types of curls into the weekly routine.
Eat more protein; build more muscle.
Age backwards, even though time goes forward.
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 05:28 pm
JPB wrote:
JPB wrote:
Walk 500 miles (10 per week avg)
Weights 2 - 3 times per week

Do you do lift at a gym or at home?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 07:22 pm
It depends -- I have free weights and resistance bands here but I like to use some of the machines at the gym. I try to mix it up. Today I used my own weights because the gym was closed.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 08:16 am
George, JBP--

Good for you both, starting yesterday.

I have a run-around morning, but this afternoon I'm going to find 20-60 minutes for purposeful movement.....

Please nag.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 10:59 am

Jan 2 -- treadmill 4.0 miles with varying elevation, 675 calories, 66 mins (check)
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 11:10 am
Treadmill three times a week, 600-800 calories each. Strength training twice a week. Also, do at least one aerobic dance class. Need to get down to the Embarcadero Y for the bell dance class the teacher invited me to. She is a really hot, petite Russian cutie. Smile
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 04:06 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
George, JBP--

Good for you both, starting yesterday.

I have a run-around morning, but this afternoon I'm going to find 20-60 minutes for purposeful movement.....

Please nag.

And was your movement purposeful?
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 04:07 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:
Treadmill three times a week, 600-800 calories each. Strength training twice a week. Also, do at least one aerobic dance class. Need to get down to the Embarcadero Y for the bell dance class the teacher invited me to. She is a really hot, petite Russian cutie. Smile

Whatcha doin for strength training?
And is that really "bell" dance or did you typo "belly"?
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 04:09 pm
Got in a jog again today. Two for two.
Tomorrow the weather is supposed to be brutally cold.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 06:20 pm
More specific exercise goals for 2008

1 - try to do Joyce Vedral workout every afternoon, after work, at least 5 days/week
2 - increase reps as I go (currently at 3 reps which is the standard)
3 - work with resistance bands while watching TV (resistance bands have not yet arrived)
4 - continue taking public transportation to/from work, which includes some walking. Try to pick up the pace, possibly walk from a further stop if time and weather/ground conditions permit
5 - use knee brace on left knee
6 - there is no #6
7 - in the area of diet not exercise, try to eat more vegetarian

2/2 so far; I need to do today's #1
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 06:58 pm
Jan 2. - 5 K. run; about another 5 K walking.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 07:12 pm
George--

Quote:
And was your movement purposeful?

I got through my stretching exercises and then encountered a number of maddening detours.

I was on my feet for nearly three hours. Mind, I wasn't jogging in place, but standing is more demanding than reclining.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 07:31 pm
You guys make me sick. And tired. Reading all that (and I only read this page) made me exhausted! Smile

I have no exercise goals because I'm a slug and hate exercising. Now, if they had an actual jazzercise class somewhere near me, I'd do that. Dancing I love, exercising (aerobics, treadmill, bike) makes me ill just thinking about it. And as for JOGGING - ugh! What a thing to do to your body - bouncing and jouncing on all your joints. It's a health hazard, I tell ya Smile

Have fun, though!! heh heh
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 04:56 am
Mame, hon, if I can do it, you can do it.

My workout is actually called the 12-minute workout. And that's about as long as it lasts. Really, it's just to get me using some weights and making some purposeful movements. Committing myself to do ... something. 'Cause right now doing nothing has ceased to be an option.

I exercised before going to bed last night and that was prolly too late as I was kinda wired (I had also had caffeine late, so I blame that as well). Today I'll see about going back to the afternoon, right after work routine. I boot up the PC and while I'm waiting for it to load programs I lift my little weights and all.

One thing I did last night was calf raises. These are easy and don't need weights. You just sit in a chair with your feet flat on the floor and point your toes toward the floor while pushing your knees up. This tightens the calf (essentially you're on tiptoes, but sitting). Hold a few seconds, put feet back flat on the floor, lather, rinse, repeat. It's to help with walking, which we all do (and is that not a part of dancing?).

I like to dance, too, and at the last event where I did some dancing, I was dismayed to be out of breath and unhappy that I could not do as much as I wanted to. Hence another reason for me to be doing this.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 08:38 am
Go Jes!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 09:22 am
Echoing the cheers for Jes.

I've done my stretching exercises and made a start on the next bunch.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 10:08 am
more echoes for jes.

Come on, Mame. I HATE exercising but misery loves company, so get your butt over here.

Jan 2 -- treadmill 4.0 miles with varying elevation, 675 calories, 66 mins (check)
Jan 3 -- biceps, triceps, quads, hamstrings (check)
0 Replies