Exercise Goals for 2008

jespah

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 04:01 am
Have fun, Beth!

Thank you all.

That reminds me, I need to make a doctor's appt.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 11:51 am
Week 1:

5 pounds down
Muscles reappearing.
Sore.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 07:48 am
Day 10 or so

10 pounds down.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 04:45 pm
You guys prolly all know this...but:

Rethinking Daily Exercise: Less Regular, High-Intensity Intervals May Be Best Bet for Metabolic Syndrome CME
News Author: Shelley Wood
CME Author: Penny Murata, MD

Authors and Disclosures
Shelley Wood
Disclosure: Shelley Wood has disclosed no relevant financial relationships.

Penny Murata, MD
Disclosure: Penny Murata, MD, has disclosed no relevant financial relationships.

Brande Nicole Martin
Disclosure: Brande Nicole Martin has disclosed no relevant financial information.

From Heartwire — a professional news service of WebMD

July 10, 2008 — Results of a small pilot trial showing that people with metabolic syndrome might benefit from an exercise regimen that includes aerobic interval training have now been published [1]. According to the Norwegian investigators who tested two different exercise regimens, high-intensity exercise actually reversed most of the risk factors associated with metabolic syndrome; after just 16 weeks of the exercise program, almost half the patients enrolled in this arm of the trial no longer had metabolic syndrome, without making any changes to their diets. Less impressive gains were seen with consistent, moderate exercise.

The findings were first reported by heartwire when they were presented during a poster session at the 2006 International Symposium on Atherosclerosis. Now, commenting on the published results, investigators say their findings hint that the standard recommendation for 30 minutes per day of moderate exercise — something espoused by the American Heart Association (AHA) and other organizations — might not be optimal in this specific high-risk group.

The results of the study by Dr Arnt Erik Tjønna (Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Trondheim, Norway) and colleagues are published online July 7, 2008 in Circulation........

Full article here
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 05:24 pm
while i think the full article may be more appropriate in the "global warming" thread , here is a REMINDER TO KEEP HYDRATED !

Quote:
Higher rates of kidney stones have long been associated with hotter climes.

The effect of warm temperatures on the human body is much the same as it is on lakes. During scorching summer weather, lakes evaporate at faster rates, increasing the concentration of salts and minerals in the water left behind.

In humans, dehydration also leaves high mineral concentrations, which can congeal, forming solid, painful plugs in the bladder or kidneys.

"While this is a serious effect, it's not devastating," said Dr. Brikowski. "It's an additional inconvenience proving yet again that climate change is a really dangerous experiment we're performing on the world."

Physicians refer to the blistering southern states as the "stone belt," because of the higher rate of nephrolithiasis in regions where mean annual temperatures top 13.4 C (56.1 F). As temperatures rise the belt will grow, according to researchers, spreading north to Chicago and west to California.

http://www.ragbrai.org/Sandy/Sandy/RR/DrinkWaterOrg.jpg
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 05:41 pm
Dag--

I'm not sure whether to be admiring or a bit scared for you.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 05:48 pm
But, of course, not too much. Thus sports drinks, see JoeNation on all that, no immediate link to a post.

I'm so happy for you, Jes. You are really zoned...

Me, I'm down from something like 186 a few months before I left north north to a present +/- 154. That's slow loss, about 2.5 years, but I like slow loss, re time for equilibration versus a body sense of starving. In my so called heyday (hay day?) I was around 123. (When I had Montezuma's revenge in Mexico and looked my idea of as beautiful as I could get - what a maroon - in a photo but couldn't easily get out of the chair from weakness, I weighed 113). My goal is around 140 - 145 but I'm in no hurry.

Most of this has been by virtue of diet change, but I'm picking up on exercise. A bit of dancing in the light, gardening. Moving faster generally. Plans for walkies when the August burn passes. Have identified an Abq walking group...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 07:04 pm
Hey, that's wonderful, Osso!

Dag, what on earth have you been doing?

Interesting article, dlowan, thanks. I'm liking the intense stuff we're doing (did it again today btw, added some lunges) but good to see some of the science of it.

I'm definitely fitter (my resting heart rate is down to 60, which according to a chart E.G. procured is Very Good for my age) but the rest of it is so slooow. Things finally started happening, size-wise, a while ago and then I was like yay, it's started! But it drags on.

Ah well. It's slow, but it's happening, so will just continue and continue to have fun. (E.G., he who eats a ton but stays thin, started working out a couple of months after I did [he was inspired, he says] and has already made all this progress -- irritating. He's just one of those people whose body just obligingly snaps into whatever shape he wants it to be in.) (I'm proud of him though, too.)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 08:45 pm
Tonight was the last night of this session.

The intermediate instructor pulled me aside. Shocked What'd I do now? Shocked

Beth, when are we going to see you perform again?

Laughing

Phew.

I actually had an answer.

My pal Jen and I decided a couple of months ago that we'd try to perform in a Hafla sometime in 2008. I recently found our music

Laughing hehehehehe Shocked Laughing

and my job now is to put some bellydance choreo together. We're going to start with trying to replicate the first 40 seconds or so of the original and then just when we've got people really confused ... move into a coupla hip drops or something like that

s'gonna be fun!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 09:05 pm
Good bellies...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 09:42 pm
Dag, you don't seem to know that fast loss clues the body into that it's starving and propels varied response. Or that going full out on a bicycle until you drop is not the smartest training.

I'm not here to remonstrate, just hoping you look up more useful information. (That's it, re lecture, as you can easily outrun me.)
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2008 03:51 am
Osso, good on you for the loss. It's lifestyle change that does it, not fad dieting.

Beth! Great idea for a routine! Do post some pics (if you like)! Smile

60 is great for a resting heart rate, soz. I went to give blood yesterday and they took my pulse at 65 (pressure has always been good -- I have no idea what the resting rate was when I was heavier but it's nice now, apparently). I was pleasantly shocked. Still needed the larger cuff but on my way to small cuff-dom.

Here's to small cuff-dom.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2008 06:39 am
starting a push-up regimen.

when i was teen, i was able to do 100 at a time -- with my feet resting on an ottoman, no less.
i did the clap-ups, too.
never had the strength to do one-armer's...

so i started with 10 on tuesday.
did 2 sets of 15 yesterday.
this morning i dropped and gave myself 20...
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2008 09:21 am
Region Philbis wrote:
starting a push-up regimen.

when i was teen, i was able to do 100 at a time -- with my feet resting on an ottoman, no less.
i did the clap-ups, too.
never had the strength to do one-armer's...

so i started with 10 on tuesday.
did 2 sets of 15 yesterday.
this morning i dropped and gave myself 20...

...and your goal is?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2008 09:24 am
100/day Mr. Green
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2008 09:29 am
Region Philbis wrote:
100/day Mr. Green

I'm impressed.
Doing sets at various times of day?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2008 09:51 am
i'd like to get back to my old level of 100 at a time...
my arms are pleasantly sore...
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2008 04:37 pm
Region Philbis wrote:
i'd like to get back to my old level of 100 at a time...
my arms are pleasantly sore...

OK, now I'm very impressed.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2008 04:42 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Dag, you don't seem to know that fast loss clues the body into that it's starving and propels varied response. Or that going full out on a bicycle until you drop is not the smartest training.

I'm not here to remonstrate, just hoping you look up more useful information. (That's it, re lecture, as you can easily outrun me.)

i do know that. i'm not starving, for once. i am working out like a fiend, drinking tons of green tea and water, and eating small portions five times a day. that's it. first ten pounds are always easy.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 05:22 am
George, thanx.
i might be stuck on sets of 20 for a while -- it's a struggle to do the last 5 right now...

dag, good going!
are the work outs helping to ease your mind a bit?
0 Replies