Exercise Goals for 2008

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 01:04 pm
Quote:
Thanks for the input.

We're former athletes who have been out of shape for a long time and have wanted to get back in shape for a long time and this is the first really consistent and effective exercise program we've been able to put together since the kids were born. We have a very similar philosophy of not over-shooting, just keeping it fun and doable. We don't have a need for any specific goals (5 K, 10 K, whatever), it's more intrinsic motivation -- when we exercise we feel better than when we don't. We're really pleased with how things are going and don't want to mess with it too much. We're going to continue to ratchet up the intensity because we know that as we get more fit, the same workout won't have the same effect, but we're going to keep making sure it's fun and doable, for us.

You've got it and you are doing it right. (Insert long boring re-telling of my own restart from out-of-shapeness.) Your philosophy is the same as mine, --make incremental increases-see what that feels like-make appropriate adjustments. It's gotten me from walking five blocks to the subway instead of taking the bus--to- being able to run a dozen miles and not have any ill effects. And you are really lucky to have friends to work out with, I still lack that.

Who else thinks there is a book in all this?
"Walk it off, Sister!"
"TrackMom, Newbie and Sozobe take Off"
"Three for the Road" (My favorite)
"Re-started"

You could detail how to get started or re-started, how to network your friends, what series of intervals and laps to use as the reader progresses, tips on what you personally found were good sources of energy and hydration. If the others can write in the same personal tone that you do, I think it would be a hit amongst the people out there who just want to be a bit fitter without all the pressures.

Joe(I hit 450 miles today.)Nation
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 04:18 pm
I see it as musical: Asphalt! A tale of striving and friendship, in the wilds of Ohio.

-- Bring the kids! -- Track Weekly

-- Excellent! Headed for Broadway! -- Runners' World

-- I cried at the end. -- Musical Reviews 'R' Us

-- Film rights have been sold. Directing: Stephen Spielberg and James Cameron. Starring: Angelina Jolie, Julia Roberts and Cameron Diaz, with Brad Pitt playing a mile marker. -- Variety.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 04:56 pm
Let me recommend something simple; go out and buy yourself a pedometer.

As of now, my pedometer reading is 99.76 miles, and it's now PST 4PM.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 06:33 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
You've got it and you are doing it right. (Insert long boring re-telling of my own restart from out-of-shapeness.) Your philosophy is the same as mine, --make incremental increases-see what that feels like-make appropriate adjustments. It's gotten me from walking five blocks to the subway instead of taking the bus--to- being able to run a dozen miles and not have any ill effects. And you are really lucky to have friends to work out with, I still lack that.

Who else thinks there is a book in all this?
"Walk it off, Sister!"
"TrackMom, Newbie and Sozobe take Off"
"Three for the Road" (My favorite)
"Re-started"

You could detail how to get started or re-started, how to network your friends, what series of intervals and laps to use as the reader progresses, tips on what you personally found were good sources of energy and hydration. If the others can write in the same personal tone that you do, I think it would be a hit amongst the people out there who just want to be a bit fitter without all the pressures.

Joe(I hit 450 miles today.)Nation

What a nice post, Joe, thanks! I think it's safe to say you're an inspiration to all of us. So it's good to know that you started similarly.

I know that what I'm blase about now would have seemed incredibly difficult when we started, already.

And yeah, I'm very lucky that I've found such simpatico people to run with. I know I wouldn't have gotten as far as I have (plenty further to go!) without 'em.

Love all the titles, both of youse (Joe and Jes).
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 06:08 am
(Didn't post on Monday or yesterday -- ran [with just Trackmom] both days. Yesterday was humid, felt like we were going in slow motion. Didn't seem to ever find that other gear, just plodded along. Finished the whole workout though.)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 11:28 am
Finishing is good.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 12:14 pm
Still having trouble with my pulled leg, so I got to jog very slowly.
This means distances are longer.
Today 9k, finally, but well over the hour.

Last sunday I went to the cyclothon with my daughter. A bit of cycling around and up the hill of Chapultepec, and then a ride downtown and back.
We made it in a little more than 2 hours.
Should I add that on monday I had a distinct pain right where, as my mother said, "the back loses its holy name"?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 12:20 pm
Hee, love that phrase.

Sorry about the pulled leg...

Ran today, went fine. Newbie's back from vacation and was struggling to keep up but did it all, I was impressed with her.

She's about to go on another, 2-week vacation, so I think Trackmom and I might step things up a bit when she's gone, then go back to our normal workout when she returns, until she's comfortable again (and then all three step things up a bit). We'll see.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 11:40 am
Week 28

22.9 miles

Scheduled cumulative mileage: 560
Actual cumulative mileage: 585.3

[Galumphing through Ginter VA on the Virtual Jog to Georgia]
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 12:20 pm
Go Geo!

Tomato-head reporting for duty.

You know what Joe was saying about not exercising in the afternoon when it's hot out?

Yeah.

Really need to listen to Joe more.

We couldn't make it this AM, but it's less brutally hot than it's been, so we decided to meet at 1 PM.

Baaaaaad idea.

The air temperature wasn't that hot but the sun was blazing and heat was radiating from the (black) track and there was no shade.

Also, Newbie ran with us last Friday and we slowed down a bit for her; she couldn't make it today so we took off a bit exuberantly. I don't know how fast we went on the first two running laps but it was fast. Because we both went "whoa that was fast" we timed our third running lap, but because the first two were so fast (and because it was %^$* hot out), the third lap felt significantly slower -- and THAT was 7 mph (6.92, or 2 mins 10 seconds/ 400 meters).

I started to feel a little woozy on lap #4, though, so we went a bit slower on that one and #5. ("Woozy" is probably overstating it, just felt overheated and like if I didn't calm down a bit I might venture into fainting territory.)

Fine now.

Not running in the middle of a summer sunny day again though.

(You run at lunchtime, right, George?)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 12:26 pm
That article on running in heat from a while back went on about adapting to it slowly (if I remember correctly). My thought, of course, is, why would you want to...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 12:42 pm
Yeah, I was thinking about that article! I was a little panicky because it seemed like I wasn't sweating. My internal temperature seemed to be getting really high.

I think because it was hot, dry, and a bit windy, the sweat was evaporating fast.

But of course even fast evaporation does stuff though.

Anyway got through it fine and don't plan to repeat if avoidable.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 04:39 pm
I'd say, definitely don't repeat -- you could be doing serious icky stuff and not even realize it.

Anyway -- el reporto -- 1/3 of the way done with my intended weight loss. It's official as of this morning. Smile It took about 6 months.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 05:12 pm
Jes--

Congratulations.

You and the U.S.P.O just keep slogging along.

Is your doctor rejoicing? She should be.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 05:21 pm
sozobe wrote:
...(You run at lunchtime, right, George?)

Yes, but on steamy days, "run" is an overstatement. I go, but I go slow.
As an old running friend once put it: "Start slow, then taper off."
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 05:22 pm
jespah wrote:
...Anyway -- el reporto -- 1/3 of the way done with my intended weight loss. It's official as of this morning. Smile It took about 6 months.

Yeah, Jes!!!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 05:22 pm
Armstrong had a bike tour in San Jose to raise funds for cancer; he raised 1.5 million.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 05:33 pm
WALKING OR RUNNING ?

Quote:
The impact of running on your joints can be more than three times your body weight, every step is triple the impact of walking.

for me it's definetely WALKING and swimming - no running or jogging !
hbg

link :
WALKING OR RUNNING ?
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 09:01 pm
Woohoo! Congratulations Jes!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 09:06 pm
Hooray there MissJes!

~~~

I've officially taken over handling the dehumidifier in the back dance studio. The floor was starting to get slippery Confused Evil or Very Mad Confused

I made them buy it, but I couldn't make them learn how to operate it. So the nights I go in ... no slippery floors!

(how hard is it to run a dehumidifier? really!)

Next week the new session starts - intermediate one night, folklore the other. I anticipate a bitta agony, a bitta mmm agony Laughing
0 Replies