Exercise Goals for 2008

ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 11:57 am
Good, Dag!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 12:00 pm
What's your workout, dag?

Ran today, and lunged. One of those days where after lap #2 I was thinking hmm, not so sure I can finish today, but we did!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 12:08 pm
eh, so it turns out it's more like 7 pounds down total, there was some fluctuation for some reason. anyway, good enough.

i drink like a thirsty camel. not only am i more awake when i do this, i also honestly hardly ever feel hungry. and when i do, i have a soup, or veggies with fish or chicken.. small things, five times a day.

workout varies. Monday is the insane day: boxing followed by latino rhythm step aerobic (fun!)

other days I go on my own. i always do cardio, at least 30 mins on eliptical (or stairclimber or stepmaster or somesuch), followed by either rope jumping (3 minute rounds, at least 3 rounds) and/or kicking the heavy bag (fun and miraculous for posterior formation).

Then i pick up weight and/or medicine ball and do this improvised workout that sums up my workouts from dancing, boxing, athletics, pilates..... i came up with a bunch of stuff from each that i enjoy and that works for me. I also like some of the weight machines, especially those where you get to pull things (there are two arms that you set either high, or shoulder level or low and they have these handles to pull)

Abs I do in the privacy and secrecy of my room. I hate doing abs in public.

And I don't do all this every day...just,kinda, going by mood and energy level.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 12:12 pm
oh, and i do rest every now and then. take a day off, or take it real easy.

and i like to go to sauna or steam room after workouts, it's good for my muskles.

reg, the workouts are about the only thing keeping my sanity intact, not to mention that the object of my interests with whom i had a little something something a week ago goes to the same gym. quite a few familiar faces there now, actually, which i find pleasant, even if we exchange the smallest of chit chats.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 03:22 pm
Dag wrote:
Quote:
i came up with a bunch of stuff from each that i enjoy and that works for me.

And revealed the best secret method of success ever devised.

Joe(yougogirl)Nation
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2008 09:13 am
ha. (not to mention that i also acquired an, uh..., after hours personal trainer from the same gym who sees to my fitness when then gym is closed, ahem.)
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2008 11:29 am
Well, that's aerobic, too.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 07:01 am
jespah wrote:
Well, that's aerobic, too.

And caloric.

Did I mention 1) I hit 500 miles on Friday?

I did. My map shows a line from Central Park over to New Haven up to my hometown of Manchester then over to Boston's Back Bay and from there I followed some roads I hitchhiked in 1965 up to Winoski VT. A dash north of there is the Canadian Border which is my turn around point.

Here I go.

2) Thomas and I may be running in some races together later this year.

Joe(I guess I should let him know that.)Nation
0 Replies

George

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 07:12 am
Joe is closing in on me.

This morning was mucho steamy.
I planned ten, but wimped out at 6.5.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 09:02 am
I went to the gym yesterday for the first time in ages. Between heavy travel, work stress, family stress, and personal stress I pretty much stopped working out in March.

2.0 miles at a casual 3.5 pace felt reasonable. My back spasms began about 6 hours later <sigh>.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 10:06 am
Well dang...!

Have they subsided?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 10:30 am
No. I'll call the chiro in the morning.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 10:44 am
Oh, I'm sorry...!

Hope the chiro's magic takes care of it quickly, but too bad you'll have to wait that long.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 01:21 pm
JPB--

Sometimes life is manifestly unfair. You are due for some Moonlight & Roses very, very soon.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 09:13 pm
Yesterday morning, I ran my first race as a member of the New York Road Runners Club. It was a four-miler in Central Park.

If you live in or near New York, I can heartily recommend this experience. For one thing, Central Park is a gorgeous place to run in. (I can't believe I'm living only an hour away from it and run there so rarely.) For another thing, the organization is perfect. Friendly volunteers. Watering holes every mile. Locals who encourage you. (This whole myth about New Yorkers being unfriendly -- complete nonsense.) The whole thing felt more like a folk festival than a competition. It's virtually impossible not to complete a race once you got your butt out of bed and into New York and started it. I finished about 4400th out of 4500, but I finished, and felt great afterwards.

[heavy south-German accent] I'll be back.[/accent]
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 09:29 pm
Thomas!
It's contagious!

(May I add that I finally jogged 10K. last friday?)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 07:51 am
Hey now!

That's major... great going, Thomas!

How's your back, JPB?

Sozlet had another out-of-nowhere wamblies attack (to borrow Noddy's more delicate phrasing) -- some possibility that it's related to an emerging tooth, since she always had this reaction as a baby (but dunno if kids do it too). High fever (103.5), the works. Still sleeping now (we were awake from about 3:30 AM to about 6 AM), hopefully better when she wakes up. But no running for me today, first one I'll miss in a while.

Thinking of running up and down the stairs several times; push-ups; sit-ups; other ideas?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 09:57 am
if you have a spacious room with high enough ceilings, jumping rope is a good'un...
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 07:41 pm
sozobe wrote:
How's your back, JPB?

Sozlet had another out-of-nowhere wamblies attack (to borrow Noddy's more delicate phrasing) -- some possibility that it's related to an emerging tooth, since she always had this reaction as a baby (but dunno if kids do it too). High fever (103.5), the works. Still sleeping now (we were awake from about 3:30 AM to about 6 AM), hopefully better when she wakes up. But no running for me today, first one I'll miss in a while.

Thinking of running up and down the stairs several times; push-ups; sit-ups; other ideas?

The spasms have stopped and I was able to walk from Michigan Ave to Union Station without any difficulties. Crossing fingers that they won't flare back up again later.

Sorry to hear about Sozlet's wamblies. I hope she feels better soon.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2008 02:16 pm
Thomas wrote:
Yesterday morning, I ran my first race as a member of the New York Road Runners Club. It was a four-miler in Central Park...

Awright, Thomas!
0 Replies