Exercise Goals for 2008

George

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 06:51 am
fbaezer wrote:
This non-native-English-speaker does not know what "dwaddles" is. Embarrassed

Not really a word, fb.
Sounds like Noddy created it as a combination of dawdles and waddles.
I get a vision of someone waddling aimlesslly about, putting off what he
really should be doing.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 08:14 am
George--

You speak truth. My sympathies to Mrs. George.

Jespah--

First three reps, then five reps, then the world.

Fbaezer--

English is constantly evolving and you're on the cutting edge.

With a bit of luck I'll be able to get out today and stroll through the 60 degree weather.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 01:08 pm
Refinement for January --

Walk on even days, lift on odd days. It works better with my goofy eating plan.

Jan 7, Jan 1 -- shoulders, abs, back, chest (check)
Jan 8, Jan 2 -- treadmill 4.0 miles with varying elevation, 650 calories avg, 68 mins avg (check)
Jan 3 -- biceps, triceps, quads, hamstrings (check)
Jan 4 -- treadmill 4.0 miles with varying elevation, 600 calories, 68 mins (check)
Jan 5 -- calves, gluts, inner and outer thighs (ckeck)
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 01:37 pm
Started Week 2 with a 4 mile run in 60 degree weather.
Gotta take advantage of this while it lasts.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 01:50 pm
JPB, George--

Good for you both. Action speaks.

I'm zipping back and forth to the bathroom, coping with the iodine and the barium. At least I don't feel like eating.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 05:30 pm
How are you feeling? I hope the fall's consequences are gone.

Five reps with the abdominal stuff is -- oof -- hey, I actually feel something, and more than mild cramps. It also went away quickly but I definitely felt it.

One thing that's been good is not just what we're doing but what we're not doing. As in, stayed away from the candy jar, that kind of thing.

Everyone's doing really well.
0 Replies

edgar111

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 08:30 pm
play badminton 1 h/day
running half an hour
eat health
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 09:27 pm
My body hurts... and I ran only 2.5 k. today (several 300 and 400 meters sprints, though)... I don't know if I'll be able2run tomorrow.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2008 11:27 pm
fb, people like me (wacko), and, (dare I question it is possible), noddy, make up words. Well, ok, I do.

Your command of english, including colloquial, is terrific, be at peace.

Or just dwaddle about.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 05:18 am
My exercise mat arrived! Yay! It's light blue and very foamy and comfy. Should help my knee considerably. I'm also seeing my doc today so hopefully she can do something re the knee. There are some exercises where you need to get on the floor and on your knees and I'm definitely favoring the left one.

PS Last night was situps. And I felt 'em.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 08:25 am
fbaezer wrote:
My body hurts... and I ran only 2.5 k. today (several 300 and 400 meters sprints, though)... I don't know if I'll be able2run tomorrow.

Aha! Now who's making up words?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 12:42 pm
Osso--

You "make up" words. I coin them. I also misspell them.

Jes--

My sympathies. My pet name for my abs is "my abominables".

Yesterday, recovering first from my fall and then from the lovely, lovely barium, I did only stretching.

Today I measured my waist: 32 3/4". This is better that 35" of last year, but I'm going to work towards a more voluptuous, hourglass figure.

I lose weight from the top down and the bottom up. The older I get--and the more stressed I get--the more I tend to pack the harmful abdominal fat around my liver where it can be quickly metabolized in case of emergency.

I'm pregnant with wisdom--and want an abortion.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 02:20 pm
Got 4 miles done today.
Ran 8 minutes as a warm-up.
Then did intervals 6 x (1 minute + 2 minutes).
Then just cruised on back.

I was dressed for rain, but it didn't rain.

Man, did I sweat!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 02:40 pm

Jan 8, Jan 2 -- treadmill 4.0 miles with varying elevation, 650 calories avg, 68 mins avg (check)
Jan 9, Jan 3 -- biceps, triceps, quads, hamstrings (check)
Jan 4 -- treadmill 4.0 miles with varying elevation, 600 calories, 68 mins (check)
Jan 5 -- calves, gluts, inner and outer thighs (ckeck)[/quote]
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 05:27 pm
Exercised on my new mat. Smile

The doc was pleased that I'm doing this. I need to work on an eating plan, may or may not share that particular journey with A2K.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 08:38 am
George, JBP, Jess--

Dogged does it.

The trouble with reform is that you have to change your routine and stick with it.

I have a weakness for the "wishes are horses" school of self-improvement.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 11:20 am

Jan 10, Jan 4 -- treadmill 4.0 miles with varying elevation, 630 calories avg, 67 mins avg (check)
Jan 5 -- calves, gluts, inner and outer thighs (ckeck)
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 06:03 pm
Lots of changes at Casa de la Philbis today and yesterday. We purged out a lotta junk food. We often go in cycles of junk/no junk so in order to not sabotage the exercise routine, out goes the junk food. The birds (and mice) are very happy with us.

Did 10 reps today (I had done 10 yesterday too) for my routine. Almost no pain, it worked out well. I'll probably hang at 10 reps for a while as I can't do it all in one day. New knee brace arrived, and a pedometer. The resistance bands I ordered (yep, I've gone all out) should be here in a few days, too. Also got a few nice books in case I want to do the exercise bike as a change of pace. A great book of renewal: The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett.

Only physical downside right now is that I'm still not sleeping well at night (stress-related). I'll see if I can make up some of that over the weekend. I know the exercise is helping me because it's not what it was, but I could still use more rest. Stress is easing up a little, too, as I have some stuff to do at work. It's when I'm sitting around with nothing that I tend to get nutty. Posting here helps, too, of course.

Oh, and another change: next week will mark the return of the slow cooker to the regular meal-making rotation. Cool
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 08:53 am

Jan 10, Jan 4 -- treadmill 4.0 miles with varying elevation, 630 calories avg, 67 mins avg (check)
Jan 11, Jan 5 -- calves, gluts, inner and outer thighs (ckeck)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 12:11 pm
Jes--

Ten reps is a good start. I never go much beyond ten--but I make each of them a Work of Art.

Did you know that the original "Secret Garden" was in Kent in southern England where the weather is much milder than on the Yorkshire moors? Still, the story is good enough to incorporate poetic license.

I'm learning the implications of an Exercise Ball--giving myself plenty of room so if I topple like a hollow willow tree, I won't hit my head. I think I'm going to get a stablizer which will keep the ball from rolling while I learn.
0 Replies