Exercise Goals for 2008

JPB

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 12:40 pm
noddy, jes, and fbaezer -- you should all be proud. soz -- I sympathize.

Refinement for January --

Walk on even days, lift on odd days. It works better with my goofy eating plan.

Jan 1 -- shoulders, abs, back, chest (check)
Jan 2 -- treadmill 4.0 miles with varying elevation, 675 calories, 66 mins (check)
Jan 3 -- biceps, triceps, quads, hamstrings (check)
Jan 4 -- treadmill 4.0 miles with varying elevation, 600 calories, 68 mins (check)
Jan 5 -- calves, gluts, inner and outer thighs (ckeck)
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 10:22 pm
jespah wrote:
cypher, when (not if) we meet, I'll be happy to do biceps curls with you. Smile

That's sweet! Smile

And I really am so glad you mentioned her name-- I went to her site and ordered a couple of tapes that night; I'm excited to get back to her workouts... I always like them since she's so into getting it over with fast! That's my kind of exercise Laughing
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 09:32 am
Hell yeah, sistah.

I've been keeping up with it. And, so far, very, very little pain! What a concept. This is good, this is what will keep me doing this. What I can't stand is being pushed into exercising and then it just becomes a painfest and I can't move for days. That's not the point. The idea is to get into a habit, and that can't happen if I'm immobilized for a week.

So I'm keeping up with things. It's Sunday so it's sort of a Vedral free day, e. g. her idea is to just repeat some exercises from one day or mix them up from a few days. Nothing set in concrete. I'll probably do lateral crunching or something like that.

One big upside to knocking off the coffee and going instead for tea, both with and without caffeine, during the week, is that on the weekends I'm not hammered. Or at least I wasn't this weekend. I feel fine. Now, I'll probably nap in the afternoon anyway, but what's essentially happening is that I'm starting to really purge myself of the need for major injections of caffeine.

Got a few books in the mail recently, including Diet for a Small Planet, which is about vegetarianism. I've been leafing through it, trying to pick up some inspiration. We bought a lot more tofu at the store than we have in a long time, plus I had some shrimp at lunch yesterday. I think pushing the nonchicken, noncheese protein varieties will be helpful (although I know that shrimp has cholesterol). What I suspect I really need to do is to get into eating salmon and tuna steaks. Hmm.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 01:07 pm
How do you like to cook your tofu, Jes?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 04:30 am
Well, yesterday we did a big soup (or, a sig boop if you like spoonerisms). It was, um, dried beans, ramen noodles (no flavor packets) from 2 bags, fresh mushrooms, scallions, broccoli and asparagus, a little (probably about 1/4 c. for the entire pot) drippings from a chicken I had made earlier, and low sodium chicken broth. Threw some cubed tofu in there and it all cooked together marvelously. The tofu completely took on the flavor of everything else and so it pretty much just tasted like chicken soup. The only thing I'd critique about it is that it shlooped up most of the liquid so it was more stew than soup. We're going to have the remainder Tuesday night.

I did the lateral crunches yesterday and this morning I have very slight, I won't call it pain, more like a slight nagging reminder that I'm doing this -- and that I haven't done it for years. Almost like extremely minor menstrual cramps. But otherwise no negative consequences and the mild pseudocramps went away in maybe ten minutes or so.

I have a doctor's appt for later this week so I'll be able to get my base weight. I know it will not be pretty (hence, why I'm trying to do this), but at least I will have a concrete number. And I can ask her if she has any other suggestions.

How are things going for you, cyphercat?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 07:24 am
I'm a bit achy this morning. Yesterday I headed out for the newspapers--in 40 degree weather--and slipped on black ice. Fortunately, I did a prat fall rather than tumbling forward and landing on my knees--which would have given me nasty brushburns and broken both legs.

I skipped exercises yesterday--but I did so some vigorous, furniture moving vacuuming.

My intentions for today are excellent. Please nag.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 11:01 am
Refinement for January --

Walk on even days, lift on odd days. It works better with my goofy eating plan.

Jan7, Jan 1 -- shoulders, abs, back, chest (check)
Jan 2 -- treadmill 4.0 miles with varying elevation, 675 calories, 66 mins (check)
Jan 3 -- biceps, triceps, quads, hamstrings (check)
Jan 4 -- treadmill 4.0 miles with varying elevation, 600 calories, 68 mins (check)
Jan 5 -- calves, gluts, inner and outer thighs (ckeck)

Yesterday was a rest/fruit fast day. It's a good thing they aligned on the same day because I redefined 'rest'. Slothdom was more like it.

Gorgeous weather here today so I added a 3.5 mile walk outside to this mornings exercises.

Jes, nagging reminders are a good thing. Switch to a different set of muscle groups while your abs brood. They'll forgive you in a day or two.

Noddy... ok, I won't mother hen you about black ice but do stay safe. What kind of intentions are you harboring?
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 12:40 pm
Jan. 7 -- Week 1
Looks like everyone is going strong.

I made my weekly goal of 20 miles, but just barely (20.2).
Today's run was awful. I've put on weight over the 'Days and felt every
ounce. Luckily the weather was in the mid-forties (F), so at least the
temperature was comfortable.

Noddy, I had a near pratfall, too. I had my arms and legs whirling like a
cartoon character. Somehow, I stayed upright, but I think I pulled
something in my side.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 02:02 pm
6 K. run today, not as slow as last week. A good sign, but still only my 8th best time.
"I've put on weight over the 'Days and felt every ounce", says George. Same here.

1 hour bike ride on the weekend.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 02:45 pm
fbaezer wrote:
6 K. run today, not as slow as last week. A good sign, but still only my 8th best time.
"I've put on weight over the 'Days and felt every ounce", says George. Same here.

1 hour bike ride on the weekend.

Any plan on when you're going to do the 10K?
Another runner here at work is trying to get a group together to run a
half-marathon in April. Tempting, but...
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 02:57 pm
Jes, your sig boop sounds like it was yummy! I just always have to ask people that use tofu how they like to cook it because it's one of my favorite foods -- always on the lookout for new ways to use it...

I did my 30 minutes the last few days, but have company coming to stay today so I'm sure I'll fall off the wagon until Mom goes home Smile Always nice to have a good excuse...

-- Hey, George and Noddy, be more careful on that ice, now...
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 03:07 pm
George wrote:

Any plan on when you're going to do the 10K?
Another runner here at work is trying to get a group together to run a
half-marathon in April. Tempting, but...

Probably in October -best weather-: there's about a race every weekend in Mexico City, so it'll also depend on how I feel.

Half-marathon is A LOT. A couple of guys at work did it last year. Both in their fifties and did it in less than 2 hours, which I find remarkable (take into account that Mexico City is in a very high plane: 2300 meters -1.44 miles-; this means Denver is way "below" us and relatively full of oxygen).
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 03:20 pm
I feel quite indignant about the black ice. This was at 10 a.m. with temperatures in the low 40's.

K-Mart is having A Sale and I splurged on a no-motor treadmill--$85 including tax, but a lot of assembly required. Despite the price it is quite sturdy. Mr. Noddy has promised to mount a reading rack.

If Mr. Noddy gets the Dwaddles, I think I can do it myself with a cookbook rack and the wire handles from Chinese takeout cartons.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 04:23 pm
"The Dwaddles" [snort!]
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 04:24 pm
Good news about the treadmill and iceless walking!
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 04:33 pm
fbaezer wrote:
Probably in October -best weather-: there's about a race every weekend in Mexico City, so it'll also depend on how I feel.

I like October also -- but I'll bet October in Boston is a whole different
animal than October in Mexico City.

fbaezer wrote:
Half-marathon is A LOT. A couple of guys at work did it last year. Both in their fifties and did it in less than 2 hours, which I find remarkable (take into account that Mexico City is in a very high plane: 2300 meters -1.44 miles-; this means Denver is way "below" us and relatively full of oxygen).

Well, I guarantee this old guy isn't gonna do it in under two hours.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 04:57 pm
George--

Alas, most men are subject to The Dwaddles.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 05:12 pm
George wrote:

I like October also -- but I'll bet October in Boston is a whole different
animal than October in Mexico City.

Different, but not that different:

Boston: Avg Max: 62; Avg Min: 46; Avg Precip: 3.29
Mexico City: Avg Max: 72; Avg Min: 50; Avg Precip: 2.40
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 06:41 pm
Dwaddles. We should name our team that.

Five reps of each exercise today! May not sound like a lot but I did three last week.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 08:07 pm
This non-native-English-speaker does not know what "dwaddles" is. Embarrassed
0 Replies