The "Protecting English in the Workplace Act of 2007"

Roxxxanne

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 10:40 am
Foxfyre wrote:
What if the employer just wants to be able to understand what is being said in the workplace at all times whether or not it is necessary for the job? Is that unreasonable?

Of course, it is unreasonable. An employer doesn't have a right to "understand" everything that is said in the workplace. If two employees are getting ready to go to lunch and one employee asks another in a language other than English where they are going to eat, the employer has no right or need to know the content of their conversation. OTOH the employees have the right to talk to one another in any language they choose when it doesn't interfere or, in this case, have anything to do with the performance of the job.

What an employer might institute is a rule that employees are not allowed to speak to one another at all except when it is necessary to do so to perform the job function.

Would you want to work under such an edict, Foxfyre? In effect, that is what you are asking those who prefer to express themselves in another language to do when you attempt to take away their constitutionally protected right to self-expression.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 10:51 am
I am reminded of that part of George Bernard Shaw's St. Joan when the Inquisitor objected to the notion that the saintes would have spoken to Jeanne in French, and when asked incredulously if he expected them to speak Latin to her, he angrily replied that they would have, of course, spoken English.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 11:09 am
old europe wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
old europe wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
the fact that the employer wants English only spoken in the work place should be sufficient reason for the policy to exist. No other test should be required.

So all the reasons that you gave earlier have nothing to do with this new proposed law. You want employers to be able to introduce an English-only policy just for the heck of it, and employees who are fired for using a language other than English, even if completely unrelated to work, should have no means of addressing this issue in court.

Try harder OE. That isn't what I said at the beginning or in the middle or now.

I know that's not what you said. It is, however, what the effect of such a law would be.

You gave lots of reasons why this new law would make sense. However, an English-only policy can already be instituted for all those reasons. Therefore, all those reasons you gave in earlier posts have nothing to do with the new proposed law.

That leaves one reason: an employer wants to introduce an English-only policy just because he feels like it. (Or, in your words, "the fact that the employer wants English only spoken in the work place should be sufficient reason for the policy to exist. No other test should be required.")

And, finally, you don't want employees to be able to sue about a randomly instituted English-only policy, or, consequentially, about being fired over speaking any language other than English and thus violating a randomly instituted English-only policy.

I'm not sure where we disagree. Do you think there wouldn't be any employers firing employees over an English-only policy if they didn't have to fear any consequences?

I don't know whether we disagree or not since you seem to keep coming at it from different angles and keep changing and inserting components that, in my mind, don't belong in the discussion. I am not talking about what the criteria is or is not used for hiring or firing anybody. I am not talking about a 'randomly instituted English-only policy'. What employers might fire somebody over an English-only policy if they didn't have to fear any consequences is a different discussion. I am not talking about irrational or hateful people or racism or discrimination or sensibilities of anybody or a hostile work environment or any other subjective red herrings that are being thrown into this.

Right now the EEOC position, at their discretion, is that an English-only policy in the work place is unlawful unless the employer can prove that such a policy is necessary in order for the company to properly conduct business. If any employee objects to the policy, and the EEOC becomes involved, it appears the employer must hire an attorney and incur legal costs to prove that such a policy is necessary. The employer must do that in advance of any action if the employer wants to ensure that no action will be filed.

My position is that the employer should be able to institute an English-only policy in the work place for no other reason than the employer wants English spoken in the work place and the employer should not have to fear any action by the EEOC should the employer adopt such a policy. Such policy should be universal within the organization and uniformly applied.

With a law allowing such a policy in place, there would be no question that an employer could refuse employment to anybody regardless of gender, race, age, ethnicity, handicap, etc. if such person did not speak adequate English. Any non-English speaking employees on the work force at the time the policy went into effect would be given adequate time to acquire the necessary English skills or that could be grounds for discrimination.

This would fully meet all existing requirements of the Civil Rights Act(s).

And this is what the law as Senator Alexander introduced would accomplish. The law would not apply to employees having private conversations on their coffee break or lunch hour or other times when they were not 'on the clock'.

As an employer, I want to know what is going on in the work place at all times, and that means I would want all employees to speak English at all times.

I support the proposed law as it is presented.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 11:23 am
Why can't FF understand that an employer can require fluency in any language it chooses as a requirement for the job. There is no question about this. Here is a typical want ad requiring English and Spanish.

Quote:

The Subway® Group, franchisor of the #1 restaurant chain in the U.S. and Canada, has more than 28,500+ restaurants worldwide and still counting! We're looking for a 'Franchise Sales Manager' to join our Latin American Regional Office team in Miami, FL.

The Franchise Sales Manager position is responsible for managing franchise sales activity in our growing Latin American region. Position responsibilities include; handling inquiries from prospective franchisees and instruct on processes and opportunities, prepare and make sales calls, sell franchises, process purchases, and develop marketing plans and development strategies for the region. BA/BS degree in a business related field and 3+ years international business development experience required. Travel will be required. Must possess excellent communication skills, strong negotiation skills, and be detail oriented.Must be bilingual Spanish and English. Trilingual Spanish, English, and Portuguese preferred.

If becoming a part of our very successful and expanding team sounds interesting, and you meet the requirements above, please let us hear from you!
AA/EOE/M/F/D/V

Quote:
As an employer

You are "an employer?" That is scary.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 11:32 am
Setanta wrote:
I once briefly worked for an irrational, conservative, racist woman, who would become angry when customers in the store spoke to one another in Spanish. When i asked her why she should get upset, as they were only speaking to one another the language with which they were most comfortable, she said that they were in 'Merica, and should speak the language. I asked her if she and her husband had spoken only Spanish to one another during their recent vacation in Mexico--at that point, she threatened me with my job. That was easy to deal with, though, i just called the NAACP that evening and enlightened them as to her typical comments about people of color who visited the store, and was very soon thereafter transferred to another store.

Don't know what made me think of that--apart from this idiot thread and its author.

Yes and this is yet another idiotic thread in which the author will continually repeat the same drivel ad nauseum regardless of being refuted repeatedly.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 11:56 am
Foxfyre wrote:
As an employer, I want to know what is going on in the work place at all times, and that means I would want all employees to speak English at all times.

What Walther von der Vogelweide (1170-1230) sang already in the Middle Ages: joch sint iedoch gedanke frî ("Sind doch Gedanken frei"/"Thoughts are certainly free") ... ... ...
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 12:26 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
I don't know whether we disagree or not since you seem to keep coming at it from different angles and keep changing and inserting components that, in my mind, don't belong in the discussion.

Sure, I'm very likely coming from a different angle.

As someone whose first language is not English, I'm in favour of allowing employers to institute English-only policies regarding everything that has to do with work. The law, as it currently is, allows for all that. (Apparently, it even allows you to institute a non-discriminating English-only policy for no other reason than that you want to understand your employees - if the article you posted about the Kidmans and their current English-only policy is correct.)

However, I'm not in favour of a law that would allow an employer to fire me for using a different language while at work, even if it's in a context that has nothing to do with work, that isn't detrimental to work safety, isn't detrimental to communication with supervisors or coworkers, or is in any other way of disadvantage to the company. Also, I'm not in favour of a law that would not only allow an employer to fire me over using a different language, but also leave me with no rights whatsoever of addressing such a matter in court.

In other words: I can see the intention people might see behind the law, and I agree with quite a bit of that. However, when propagating a new law, you also have to be aware of the consequences.

You seem to focus on the intent, and brush aside any concern about negative consequences.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 12:46 pm
If no one else has so noted, doesn't the adjective "protecting" tell us much about what this bill is about?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 12:52 pm
blatham wrote:
If no one else has so noted, doesn't the adjective "protecting" tell us much about what this bill is about?

About xenoglossophobia?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 12:53 pm
old europe wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
I don't know whether we disagree or not since you seem to keep coming at it from different angles and keep changing and inserting components that, in my mind, don't belong in the discussion.

Sure, I'm very likely coming from a different angle.

As someone whose first language is not English, I'm in favour of allowing employers to institute English-only policies regarding everything that has to do with work. The law, as it currently is, allows for all that. (Apparently, it even allows you to institute a non-discriminating English-only policy for no other reason than that you want to understand your employees - if the article you posted about the Kidmans and their current English-only policy is correct.)

However, I'm not in favour of a law that would allow an employer to fire me for using a different language while at work, even if it's in a context that has nothing to do with work, that isn't detrimental to work safety, isn't detrimental to communication with supervisors or coworkers, or is in any other way of disadvantage to the company. Also, I'm not in favour of a law that would not only allow an employer to fire me over using a different language, but also leave me with no rights whatsoever of addressing such a matter in court.

In other words: I can see the intention people might see behind the law, and I agree with quite a bit of that. However, when propagating a new law, you also have to be aware of the consequences.

You seem to focus on the intent, and brush aside any concern about negative consequences.

I can appreciate that you would not want to have to speak English if you were an employee in the United States. I accept that as your point of view and I accept that if you had a chance to vote, you would vote against the law.

I have not brushed aside any concerns of negative consequences that relate specifically to the question of the law itself however. As I understand the law, the only negative consequences are that people might have to learn English in order to get or keep a job--I however see that as a definite positive. Also the preference of those preferring to speak languages other than English would not be accommodated if the employer wanted English only spoken in the work place and the employer would have the right to establish such a policy if the employer chose to do that. In other words the employer's preference would supercede the preference of the employees and I also see that as a positive.

Everything else is a red herring.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 01:03 pm
old europe wrote:
blatham wrote:

About xenoglossophobia?

Now there's an absolutely lovely word.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 01:04 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
I can appreciate that you would not want to have to speak English if you were an employee in the United States.

Not what I said. I have been working in the United States, I had to speak English dealing with customers and with coworkers, and I don't have a problem with that at all.

I have stated what bothers me about the proposed law.

Foxfyre wrote:
I have not brushed aside any concerns of negative consequences that relate specifically to the question of the law itself however. As I understand the law, the only negative consequence is that the preference of those preferring to speak languages other than English would not be accommodated if the employer wanted English only spoken in the work place and the employer would have the right to establish such a policy if the employer chose to do that.

Those preferring to speak other languages than English in a context completely unrelated to their actual job would not be accomodated. I'm sure you'll acknowledge that.

Which, in turn, means that speaking other languages than English in a context completely unrelated to their actual job would violate company policy. I'm sure you agree with that, too.

Which, in turn, means that somebody speaking a language other than English in a context completely unrelated to their actual job could be fired for violating company policy. I don't think there's any doubt about that.

And, as employers would be protected, people who have been fired for speaking a language other than English in a context completely unrelated to their actual job would have no means of addressing that in court.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 01:22 pm
old europe wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
I can appreciate that you would not want to have to speak English if you were an employee in the United States.

Not what I said. I have been working in the United States, I had to speak English dealing with customers and with coworkers, and I don't have a problem with that at all.

I have stated what bothers me about the proposed law.

Foxfyre wrote:
I have not brushed aside any concerns of negative consequences that relate specifically to the question of the law itself however. As I understand the law, the only negative consequence is that the preference of those preferring to speak languages other than English would not be accommodated if the employer wanted English only spoken in the work place and the employer would have the right to establish such a policy if the employer chose to do that.

Those preferring to speak other languages than English in a context completely unrelated to their actual job would not be accomodated. I'm sure you'll acknowledge that.

Which, in turn, means that speaking other languages than English in a context completely unrelated to their actual job would violate company policy. I'm sure you agree with that, too.

Which, in turn, means that somebody speaking a language other than English in a context completely unrelated to their actual job could be fired for violating company policy. I don't think there's any doubt about that.

And, as employers would be protected, people who have been fired for speaking a language other than English in a context completely unrelated to their actual job would have no means of addressing that in court.

In my opinion, there is no legal right for employees to be speaking in any context unrelated to their jobs while they are accepting wages from their employer to do the job. That the employer may choose to allow non-related conversation in the interest of comraderie, cohesiveness, job enjoyment or whatever is unrelated to the particular issue addressed in the proposed law.

As an employer, I want to know what is going on in the workplace at all times. I and others have previously listed a number of reasons this would be very good policy, all of which you have chosen to ignore or not address. The primary reason for not making exceptions for non-work related conversations is that you or others wouldn't know whether the conversation was work related or not and that would make the process arbitrary and less enforceable.

The bottom line is that the employer is putting his capital at risk and he should be able to set the rules and call the shots short of violating the civil rights of the employees. Nobody forces anybody to work for him/her and s/he should be able to set the rules on what language will be spoken in the work place without fear that this will trigger a costly lawsuit.

A requirement for English in the workplace in a predominantly English-speaking country should be the norm, not a violation of anybody's civil rights. The law as described would allow that norm.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 01:38 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
In my opinion, there is no legal right for employees to be speaking in any context unrelated to their jobs while they are accepting wages from their employer to do the job.

If that's your opinion, I agree that a lot of what you've said before simply follows.

I'd venture that neither you nor very many other people in the United States would want to work for an employer whose policy was that not a single word unrelated to their job can be spoken while at work, and that they would be subject to being fired and left without legal recourse, if they were found violating such a policy.

Merely my opinion, though.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 01:41 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
I and others have previously listed a number of reasons this would be very good policy, all of which you have chosen to ignore or not address.

I also think that those reasons were addressed. I've addressed them here, pointing out that the EEOC accepts virtually all of them as reasons for an English-only policy:

old europe wrote:
This here is from the EEOC website:

Quote:
An English-only rule is justified by "business necessity" if it is needed for an employer to operate safely or efficiently. The following are some situations in which business necessity would justify an English-only rule:
  • For communications with customers, coworkers, or supervisors who only speak English
  • In emergencies or other situations in which workers must speak a common language to promote safety
  • For cooperative work assignments in which the English-only rule is needed to promote efficiency
  • To enable a supervisor who only speaks English to monitor the performance of an employee whose job duties require communication with coworkers or customers

I don't think that constitutes ignoring your points.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 02:34 pm
old europe wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
In my opinion, there is no legal right for employees to be speaking in any context unrelated to their jobs while they are accepting wages from their employer to do the job.

If that's your opinion, I agree that a lot of what you've said before simply follows.

I'd venture that neither you nor very many other people in the United States would want to work for an employer whose policy was that not a single word unrelated to their job can be spoken while at work, and that they would be subject to being fired and left without legal recourse, if they were found violating such a policy.

I certainly would not work for Foxfyre.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 03:25 pm
Neither would I. I would hate the feeling of being spied upon and being presumed guilty, especially of such trifling things.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 03:40 pm
old europe wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
I and others have previously listed a number of reasons this would be very good policy, all of which you have chosen to ignore or not address.

I also think that those reasons were addressed. I've addressed them here, pointing out that the EEOC accepts virtually all of them as reasons for an English-only policy:

old europe wrote:
This here is from the EEOC website:

Quote:
An English-only rule is justified by "business necessity" if it is needed for an employer to operate safely or efficiently. The following are some situations in which business necessity would justify an English-only rule:
  • For communications with customers, coworkers, or supervisors who only speak English
  • In emergencies or other situations in which workers must speak a common language to promote safety
  • For cooperative work assignments in which the English-only rule is needed to promote efficiency
  • To enable a supervisor who only speaks English to monitor the performance of an employee whose job duties require communication with coworkers or customers

I don't think that constitutes ignoring your points.

The thing is, without the law, it can be incumbant upon the employer to expend time and incur expense to prove to the EEOC that the above conditions are necessary. The new law would allow the employer to impose the rule if the employer wanted the employees to speak English. The employer's preference should be sufficient reason.

As I have ALWAYS had an English only rule in every place I have ever worked or in any business that I have owned or managed, to date there has never been a problem. I have hired people with extremely limited English skills on condition that they improve those skills and they did, which qualified them for better jobs than I had to offer. I fail to see how that was in any way harmful to those people.

As for those who don't want to work for me, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't hire them to work for me either.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 03:46 pm
old europe wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

I doubt that anyone would work under such an absurd and Draconian stipulation, at least, without getting paid a ton of money.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 03:47 pm
Like the others here, I certainly would speak English when it requiered at work.
But I wouldn't sign that not a single word unrelated to my job can be spoken while at work - neither here nor elsewhere.
0 Replies