real life

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 08:45 am
mesquite wrote:
real life wrote:
mesquite wrote:
Those quotes of yours are from the Abortion thread Arella. Are you saying that you are not doing everything in your power to change the US laws regarding abortion?

You claim to care about innocent people dying thousands of years ago, but you want to support abortion?

Let's talk about it. Over a million innocent lives a year taken , and you approve of it.

Do you care to comment on the hypocrisy of using Old testament quotes to support anti-abortion positions?

I do not base my opposition to abortion on Bible passages. Read through the abortion threads if you don't believe me.

If you believe in accordance with your materialist view that there is no 'soul' or 'spirit' in man, then the body is all there is, correct?

Since the unborn are as human as they are ever going to be according to this view, why do you support killing them?
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 08:51 am
As usual RL your arguments are nonsense and full of strawmen.

I have never mentioned tolerance of rape and murder and you know this. However your God supports such things provided it's done by his "chosen" ones.

When I speak of tolerance I speak of tolerance of other religious beliefs, which I have shown to you that your God does not support. You would know that if you read my post. But you deliberately ignored that and insinuated that I am speaking of tolerance of rape and murder.

That shows how bankrupt your beliefs are.

I see your bringing up the question of morals. So I suppose to you it's moral to kill people because of their religious beliefs, as your perfect God does.

Quote:
Which brings up an obvious question, when you accuse God of 'doing wrong', upon what basis are you deciding it's 'wrong' since you don't believe in an absolute right and wrong?

How about the slaughtering of children because of the beliefs and/or actions of their parents? How about the killing of people because of their religious beliefs? How about having such a vile temper that you want to rip fetuses from womens bellies? How about the wholesale slaughter of people, including children and babies so this so called God of all people can give his chosen few some land to live on?

I guess all that is morally acceptable to you. After all you believe certain morals are absolute and God can't be morally wrong. Therefore if your God wants to massacre babies it must be morally correct.
0 Replies

kate4christ03

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 08:51 am
xingu your problem is you want God to be on your terms and think and act like you. He is God, not a man. And since God doesn't fit in the box you want him to(very arrogant of you) you reject him.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 08:55 am
real life wrote:
Since the unborn are as human as they are ever going to be according to this view, why do you support killing them?

Because your God did. And he is not immoral. He is just and good. He loves us all.

I find this funny;

real life wrote:
I do not base my opposition to abortion on Bible passages.

Want to know why? Cause you can't.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 09:04 am
xingu wrote:
real life wrote:

Because your God did. And he is not immoral. He is just and good. He loves us all.

I find this funny;

real life wrote:
I do not base my opposition to abortion on Bible passages.

Want to know why? Cause you can't.

There is no need to restrict opposition to abortion to only Bible believers.

There are atheists and Christians and Buddhists and Muslims and agnostics who oppose abortion.

They get it.

Why don't you?
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 09:13 am
kate4christ03 wrote:
xingu your problem is you want God to be on your terms and think and act like you. He is God, not a man. And since God doesn't fit in the box you want him to(very arrogant of you) you reject him.

Kate, I don't believe anyone should be persecuted for their religious beliefs unless those beliefs do harm to others, such as Osama bin Laden or Jones. Your God doesn't believe this. If your God is right than are we right for not persecuting non-believers. To sit back and say persecuting people based on their religion is only God's right and not ours brings up a big problem here.

If we are to establish standards of conduct that follows the Golden Rule, as your God tells us, is it asking to much to expect this from a God that is suppose to be all-loving and all-just? To say God is God and he can do whatever he wants gives him a free ticket to do whatever actions we would deem evil in our culture or time. This, in turn, gives humans the right and excuse to do the same evil. God is suppose to be the leader, the teacher, the guiding light. If all we see is slaughter and mayhem what kind of example is that suppose to be for us? Citing the few passages of the Bible about love does not negate the bloodshed your God is responsible for.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 09:31 am
Real

I'm not restricting anti-abortion to Bible believers. I'm saying you can't use the Bible to justify your stance on abortion because your God is the greatest fetus killer know to mankind, if we are to believe the Bible.

This brings up the question in my previous post; if God is so all-loving, all-just than why do we have to behave in a far more stringent manner than God? To say God is God and he can do whatever he wants is a cop-out.

If God is suppose to be so perfect and righteous then his behavior should be on such a higher plane that we could never attain it. But, as events in the Bible show us, he behaves in a manner that is anything but righteous. It's downright evil. We would never tolerate some of his behavior today.

God of the Bible may have fit in well in the past ages of brutalty but today he is outdated.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 01:08 pm
real life wrote:
mesquite wrote:
real life wrote:
mesquite wrote:
Those quotes of yours are from the Abortion thread Arella. Are you saying that you are not doing everything in your power to change the US laws regarding abortion?

You claim to care about innocent people dying thousands of years ago, but you want to support abortion?

Let's talk about it. Over a million innocent lives a year taken , and you approve of it.

Do you care to comment on the hypocrisy of using Old testament quotes to support anti-abortion positions?

I do not base my opposition to abortion on Bible passages. Read through the abortion threads if you don't believe me.

Good, we agree on that then. My comments to Arella were because she does use OT quotes to support her view, and therefore the hypocrisy of whining when others criticize the OT because she supposedly follows the New.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2008 02:46 pm
real life ignores me.

Well I half-expected it.

I just find it sad that when he can't come up with a counterargument, he either ignores, avoids the topic and changes the subject, or resorts to petty insults.

Another "animal-trapped-in-corner" tactic is to use such phrases as "God works in mysterious ways", "God is what God is" and "We cannot hope to understand God". Fortunately rl doesn't use these phrases, but many around here do.

It's amusing and depressing at the same time.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2008 03:10 pm
Well, if God does exist, saying 'we aren't capable of understanding God' would be highly accurate...though strangely enough, the ones saying this, are usually the ones claiming to know his will, know him, or know what he wants for us.

Perhaps it is a matter of "We know what his prophets/disciples tell us, we don't know what he doesn't tell us."
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2008 08:30 pm
kate4christ03 wrote:

I tink Xingu wants god to fit in the God shaped box which God describes in his book the bible. I think Xingu (like me) rejects god, because God violates the idea of virtue which is at the core of what Christians claim he is exclusively composed of.

If God is good, and God defines good, then why does man behave good, and is judged as being bad.

Confused?

Rightfully so.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2008 09:33 pm
kate4christ03 wrote:

True. Many try to put God on their level and compare him to themselves or others.

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom" (Prov. 1:7).

Unfortunately, these same people who expect God to be like man equate God fear with fear that they understand in their world. When, as you know, it has nothing to do with the trembly kind of fear that comes from being afraid. This is the box that they have built for themselves.

Otherwise they would partake of a discussion....not a beratement and argument over every little thing. This, I guess, is their fear.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2008 09:52 pm
How about a "perfect" god fulfilling its own standards before punishing us for struggling with fulfilling his expectations of imperfect beings.

I don't need a god to adhere to my standards, only it's own.

Not like it matters. I'm just illustrating how logically flawed the idea of the abrahamic god is.

T
K
O
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2008 10:41 pm
Intrepid wrote:
kate4christ03 wrote:

True. Many try to put God on their level and compare him to themselves or others.

Where could xingu get such a silly idea. Perhaps it was seen in the Bible.

in Genesis 1 Moses wrote:
26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2008 10:43 pm
That does not make God a man!
0 Replies

Pauligirl

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2008 11:03 pm
Intrepid wrote:
kate4christ03 wrote:

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom" (Prov. 1:7).

Unfortunately, these same people who expect God to be like man equate God fear with fear that they understand in their world. When, as you know, it has nothing to do with the trembly kind of fear that comes from being afraid. This is the box that they have built for themselves.

Otherwise they would partake of a discussion....not a beratement and argument over every little thing. This, I guess, is their fear.

"And the LORD said unto Moses, Take all the heads of the people, and hang them up before the LORD against the sun, that the fierce anger of the LORD may be turned away from Israel"

Bet that caused some of that trembly kind of fear. I wouldn't expect a God that (supposedly) created a universe to be like man. I would expect a lot better. This one is way too human, showing all the emotions of humankind, kinda like the guys that wrote him up. Looks like they built a box for a tribal war god.

I don't know if there's anything out there or not. But having read the bible, I'm pretty sure that's not it.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2008 11:39 pm
Intrepid wrote:
That does not make God a man!

True. More like anthropomorphic.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 06:29 am
If God behaves like a man why would it be a mistake to believe man was the model on which God was designed and not vice-versa?

If God has all the raw emotions of uncontrolled anger, jealousy, selfishness and cruel vengeance against those whom he believes betray him, why would we not compare him to a human?

If your going to act like a monkey than don't be surprised if your called a monkey.

If God wants to be seen as something on a higher order of that of humans then he should behave in such a manner. If God chooses to be seen as a God of love then there is no need of fear, no need of worship. Is the price of God's love faith? Does he charge you for his love? Believe in me or go to Hell?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 11:48 am
If you honestly understand the concept of God then all of this is pointless. You cannot define God. God defines you. You do not create God. God creates you.

Expecting God to be what "you" think, wish, hope, etc., Him to be isn't the way it works.

This is the part of the "non-believers' logic" I cannot get a handle on. It seems many have no clue as to what the concept of God even is!

I get that you don't accept Him as the final authority but that doesn't change the concept of what God is. What I don't get is if you are so logical then why can't you logically see that IF He is God you cannot define Him with humanistic reasoning? I realize that is all we have but geesh, He's God!
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 01:19 pm
Hi AM,

I think the point is not that people are trying to define God, but that God seems to define himself, and that definition is logically falwed.

It has nothing to do with the believer or non-believer.

T
K
O
0 Replies