The greatest irony...

RealEyes

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 07:30 am
Cyracuz wrote:
Arella

We will never agree, because you suspend reason.

And we are far apart in our thinking. I think, you don't. You just feel your way through it. Hence terms like "I know that I know that I know that it is NOT founded on a lie". Because it feels right? You certainly provide no reasonable considerations.

so ineffability invalidates a rational?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 07:39 am
Where's the rational that ineffability invalidates?
0 Replies

RealEyes

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 08:01 am
Cyracuz wrote:
Where's the rational that ineffability invalidates?

she may seem crazy, but you cannot dismiss someone (or their ideas) just because they are lame of tongue/mind
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 08:09 am
That's fair enough real eyes.

But let's not call statements like "I know that I know that I know that it is NOT founded on a lie" anywhere near rational.

I am not dismissing her ideas, I'm just saying that they are not founded on rational thinking. Do you disagree?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 08:23 am
fresco wrote:
Arella and real life,

Try to understand this....the term "stupid" is involved with a person's "self esteem", but the position from which a de-personalised holistic "God" can be understood is one in which "self esteem" is cast to the winds. There is no "self" from that position. The "leap of intellect" is one beyond the trivialities of "selves" and their parochial "beliefs".

And it is from this position that phrases like "love another as you love yourself" and "love your enemy" take on a different aspect. They are pointers to a non-dualistic transcendence of those psychological divisions between "self" and "other" which are the source of conflict.

So may we understand from this that there is never any conflict between your 'self' and 'others' ?

And in your 'selfless' existence, you are completely accepting of the behaviors and beliefs of others?

Shall we review some of your posts and see if this is the case?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 08:37 am
Cyracuz wrote:
fresco wrote:
You say elsewhere that you (and all) are God in the holistic sense of being part of some "creative principle". If this is the sense in which you interpret Jesus' own alleged claims you need to consider whether such a non-dualistic concept requires a leap of intellect beyond the capacity of most, and dysfunctional to the self integrity of those who call themselves "believers" in the normal (dualistic) sense.

I do not know if it requires a leap of intellect beyond the capacity of most. But it does require a different mind-set from the start. One that isn't taught by the bible, even though the character named Jesus in the book touches on it.

And Real Life
My assumption isn't that most believers lack the intelligence to understand different points of view. My assumption is, and it holds true so far, that most believers are unwilling to consider trying to understand alternative points of view.

Most of the people who hang on to the Bible like a life raft and trumpet their belief simply can't tolerate other POVs. They need what they consider to be an iron-clad How To Book to get through life. Opposing POVs tear their world apart. I think this is why opposition is met with stonewalling. Of course, this doesn't apply to all religionists---just the overwhelming majority.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 08:56 am
real life,

This thing I call "me" makes no claims to a permanent state of transcendence. It does claim to have had fleeting insights into that state which allows it to dismiss organized religion and "scriptures" as palliative answers the human cognitive burden of anticipating its mortality and cosmological insignificance. Your own "feistiness" on this issue simply means that you (i.e. your self integrity) has a need for such palliatives. This is relatively harmless at the psychological level but problematic and pernicious as the social level.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 09:00 am
Lash wrote:
Cyracuz wrote:
fresco wrote:
You say elsewhere that you (and all) are God in the holistic sense of being part of some "creative principle". If this is the sense in which you interpret Jesus' own alleged claims you need to consider whether such a non-dualistic concept requires a leap of intellect beyond the capacity of most, and dysfunctional to the self integrity of those who call themselves "believers" in the normal (dualistic) sense.

I do not know if it requires a leap of intellect beyond the capacity of most. But it does require a different mind-set from the start. One that isn't taught by the bible, even though the character named Jesus in the book touches on it.

And Real Life
My assumption isn't that most believers lack the intelligence to understand different points of view. My assumption is, and it holds true so far, that most believers are unwilling to consider trying to understand alternative points of view.

Most of the people who hang on to the Bible like a life raft and trumpet their belief simply can't tolerate other POVs. They need what they consider to be an iron-clad How To Book to get through life. Opposing POVs tear their world apart. I think this is why opposition is met with stonewalling. Of course, this doesn't apply to all religionists---just the overwhelming majority.

Really?

Since your criticism seems to be mostly directed at Christians (Bible believers), lets examine your stance.

I think that you'll find that countries that are historically populated by large numbers of Christians have often built the most tolerant societies on the planet.

Go to China and become a dissenter if you don't believe me. See how much tolerance you are afforded by an atheistic government there.

Check out North Korea. Nice atheistic utopia , isn't it?

Many atheists, especially as represented here on A2K , seem to be quite intolerant of the views of others. Perhaps you hadn't noticed.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 09:07 am
fresco wrote:
real life,

This thing I call "me" makes no claims to a permanent state of transcendence. It does claim to have had fleeting insights into that state which allows it to dismiss organized religion and "scriptures" as palliative answers the human cognitive burden of anticipating its mortality and cosmological insignificance. Your own "feistiness" on this issue simply means that you (i.e. your self integrity) has a need for such palliatives. This is relatively harmless at the psychological level but problematic and pernicious as the social level.

Why is your transcedence so fleeting? If doing away with 'self' is simply a matter of deciding to do so, then what's the hang-up?

It's nice to hear that you seem willing to consider my beliefs 'harmless' (as long as I keep them to myself). Laughing

Which societies are the most tolerant and have produced the most freedom (social, financial, political) for their members ---- those built upon Christian principles, or those that take atheism as their core (i.e. Communist China, North Korea, Soviet Union, etc) ?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 09:07 am
You should go to China and file a report.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 09:09 am
Your attempted diversion from the topic smells like fear.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 09:14 am
Lash wrote:
You should go to China and file a report.

I've got friends who live in China as well as friends who travel there, and I get firsthand reports (not filtered thru the media).

You?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 09:16 am
Lash wrote:
Your attempted diversion from the topic smells like fear.

And just what do you perceive the topic to be, Lash?

The OP stated his opinion that Christians were unChristlike.

I've pointed out that societies that are largely Christian are among the most tolerant, and among the greatest in producing freedom and security for people of all beliefs.

Show why this is not related to the topic.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 09:20 am
I didn't smell nuthin
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 09:20 am
Re: The greatest irony...
Getting back to the original post:
Cyracuz wrote:
You'd think that if Jesus wanted the world to become a better place he'd want people to become more like him.
Free-thinking
Intelligent
Enlightened

Jesus stated his intentions for his followers as recorded in John 13: 34,35: "I am giving YOU a new commandment, that YOU love one another; just as I have loved YOU, that YOU also love one another. 35 By this all will know that YOU are my disciples, if YOU have love among yourselves."
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 09:35 am
neo

What's your point? Love, all forms of affection, are human qualities, not christian qualities.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 09:35 am
Quote:
Why is your transcedence so fleeting?

....because "thought" embodied in "language" immediately re-invokes a dualistic perspective.

Quote:
If doing away with 'self' is simply a matter of deciding to do so, then what's the hang-up?

No ...."decision" does not come into it. Such a process is meaningful only at the level of "self".

BTW "Nationalism" is merely another form of "organized religion". The fact that Chinese nationalism uses "atheism" as rationale against its theistic opponents is trivial.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 09:37 am
Cyracuz wrote:
neo

What's your point? Love, all forms of affection, are human qualities, not christian qualities.
And?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 09:39 am
Cyracuz wrote:
neo

I know you addressed this to neo but I'd like to comment also. Just because it is a human quality doesn't discount it as a Christian quality.

Love for one another, even your enemies, is one of the basics of the Christian religion.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 09:41 am
Arella...

whatever...
0 Replies