The greatest irony...

fresco

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 10:25 am
Cyracuz,

Note real life's response in the light of to my point about intellect.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 05:35 pm
fresco wrote:
real life wrote:
fresco wrote:

Cyracuz,

You say elsewhere that you (and all) are God in the holistic sense of being part of some "creative principle". If this is the sense in which you interpret Jesus' own alleged claims you need to consider whether such a non-dualistic concept requires a leap of intellect beyond the capacity of most, and dysfunctional to the self integrity of those who call themselves "believers" in the normal (dualistic) sense.

Maybe instead he just needs to read the Bible through a few times to become familiar with it's contents before he makes assumptions about what it does and doesn't say.

Cyracuz wrote:

In the bible, does jesus refer to scripture?

C's characterization of Christians (as being 'unlike Jesus') seems to be based on what he wishes the Bible to say, not what it says.

Cyracuz apparently knows very little of the behavior of Jesus.

Of course your assumption is that 'most believers' lack the intelligence to understand a different (your?) POV.

Just because one doesn't share a POV with you doesn't mean he can't understand it.

Two different things.

But then, you would've missed out on your opportunity to parade your intelligence by denigrating others.

in the light of to my point about intellect.

Question

When denigrating the intellect of others, perhaps a little attention to grammar would make your point more believable. Just a thought.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I notice that you had no response to the point I addressed.

Do you think that agreement with another's POV and understanding of another's POV are always the same thing?

Maybe you can treat us all to another wonderful 'leap of intellect' as you answer.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 05:56 pm
real life, you're wrong, fresco is right. Deal with it.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 06:15 pm
fresco wrote:
You say elsewhere that you (and all) are God in the holistic sense of being part of some "creative principle". If this is the sense in which you interpret Jesus' own alleged claims you need to consider whether such a non-dualistic concept requires a leap of intellect beyond the capacity of most, and dysfunctional to the self integrity of those who call themselves "believers" in the normal (dualistic) sense.

I do not know if it requires a leap of intellect beyond the capacity of most. But it does require a different mind-set from the start. One that isn't taught by the bible, even though the character named Jesus in the book touches on it.

And Real Life
My assumption isn't that most believers lack the intelligence to understand different points of view. My assumption is, and it holds true so far, that most believers are unwilling to consider trying to understand alternative points of view.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 06:16 pm
Amen to that.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 06:23 pm
Quote:
And Real Life
My assumption isn't that most believers lack the intelligence to understand different points of view. My assumption is, and it holds true so far, that most believers are unwilling to consider trying to understand alternative points of view.

You can understand someone's point of view without adopting it as your own point of view. You think because we don't accept your point of view we are stupid and can't understand it? Please tell me you just misstated that?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 06:28 pm
You are on to something Arella.

You say, "I believe, in spite of the most glaring cracks in the coherency and logic of what I believe, I still believe it."

And I might be stupid, because I can never understand that. Can you understand why?
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 06:29 pm
Perhaps you understand it, but you cannot comprehend it. You can look at the other person, but you can't imagine being him or her.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 06:45 pm
Why do you keep telling me what I am and how I think, etc?

I wasn't always a Christian! I didn't always believe! So yes, I can comprehend it. I can understand it. I even felt it one time myself.

I do not think you are stupid because you don't believe. I have no thought of it one way or the other. It's just the way it is. But please, stop telling me I don't understand or I can't comprehend, etc., merely because I don't agree with your beliefs or lack of them.

I don't need the proof you require. That is just the way it is. Why? I don't know. I wish I did.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 06:52 pm
Chew on this.

Arella Mae is the former Momma Angel.

http://www.able2know.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1898699#1898699
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 06:58 pm
Arella wrote:
I don't need the proof you require. That is just the way it is. Why? I don't know. I wish I did.

When you say that, Arella, you are basically saying that you do not care if everything you believe is founded on a lie. You do not care if it's true or not, and you certainly do not wish to find out.

That is the problem. I have a hard time accepting that, because if you think in such a way you have basically given the authority to decide what's valuable in your life over to others. That is wrong, and can have implications far beyond just you.

For instance, do you believe that everything George Bush does and says is right? There are those who believe that it is simply because he's the president. Need I say more?
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 06:59 pm
Ach I give up. Especially after seeing that quote; thanks Lash. "The father of lies"? Man, you are way out of it.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 07:00 pm
You're welcome.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 11:00 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
When you say that, Arella, you are basically saying that you do not care if everything you believe is founded on a lie. You do not care if it's true or not, and you certainly do not wish to find out.

That is the problem. I have a hard time accepting that, because if you think in such a way you have basically given the authority to decide what's valuable in your life over to others. That is wrong, and can have implications far beyond just you.

For instance, do you believe that everything George Bush does and says is right? There are those who believe that it is simply because he's the president. Need I say more?

Cyracuz,

I know that I know that I know that it is NOT founded on a lie. Why do you sound like believing in God is so horrible? How does my believing in God hurt you or anyone else? You cannot equate the president or any other human being with God. Perhaps that is where we are so far apart in our thinking? God is the ultimate authority, pefect, etc. Why wouldn't I defer to Him and His mandates?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 11:41 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
fresco wrote:

I do not know if it requires a leap of intellect beyond the capacity of most. But it does require a different mind-set from the start. One that isn't taught by the bible, even though the character named Jesus in the book touches on it.

Based on your post:

Cyracuz wrote:
In the bible, does jesus refer to scripture?

I'd say you're on pretty thin ice trying to tell anyone what Jesus taught. Why should we accept that you're any kind of authority on what Jesus taught?

Cyracuz wrote:
And Real Life

Your alternate POV, as presented here, is a veneer that covers a well of misinformation.

Other than your demonstratably false impression of what Jesus taught, what else is there that you would like me to understand?

You cannot seem to avoid some sort of admiration for Jesus, yet you claim that Christians should ignore the Bible.

You're kinda mixed up, Cyracuz.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 12:56 am
Arella and real life,

Try to understand this....the term "stupid" is involved with a person's "self esteem", but the position from which a de-personalised holistic "God" can be understood is one in which "self esteem" is cast to the winds. There is no "self" from that position. The "leap of intellect" is one beyond the trivialities of "selves" and their parochial "beliefs".

And it is from this position that phrases like "love another as you love yourself" and "love your enemy" take on a different aspect. They are pointers to a non-dualistic transcendence of those psychological divisions between "self" and "other" which are the source of conflict.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 02:22 am
Quote:
non-dualistic transcendence

shudder

Quote:
de-personalised holistic "God"

Good grief

I believe we have become esoteric to the point of obfuscation.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 03:02 am
Quote:
The "leap of intellect" is one beyond the trivialities of "selves" and their parochial "beliefs".

Quote:

Smile
0 Replies

RealEyes

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 04:37 am
neologist wrote:

The calling card of a fanatic.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 06:14 am
Arella

We will never agree, because you suspend reason.

And we are far apart in our thinking. I think, you don't. You just feel your way through it. Hence terms like "I know that I know that I know that it is NOT founded on a lie". Because it feels right? You certainly provide no reasonable considerations.
0 Replies