is like to spend money unwisely

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 10:54 am
1) To me, to rebuke a young person by giving a long lecture on how he should behave is like money not spent wisely.

2)To me, to rebuke a young person by giveing a long lecture on how he should behave is like to spend money unwisely.

3) To me, rebuking a young person by giveing a long lecture on how he should behave is like spending money unwisely.

4) To me, time spent on rebuking a young person by giveing a long lecture on how he should behave is almost wasted.

5)To me, giving a long lecture on how he should behave is of little value.

All acceptable?
Could you please prioritize them?

Thanks in advance!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 598 • Replies: 2
No top replies

contrex

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 11:15 am
Re: is like to spend money unwisely
1) To me, to rebuke a young person by giving a long lecture on how he should behave is like money not spent wisely.

Bad. Verb forms should match. "to rebuke" (infinitive of verb) ... is to (something)

Possibly this would do:

To me, a long lecture to a young person on how he should behave is like money not spent wisely.

Or even better,

It is a waste of time lecturing young people on their behaviour.

2)To me, to rebuke a young person by giveing a long lecture on how he should behave is like to spend money unwisely.

"Giveing" is misspelt. Same remark as (1) regarding verbs

3) To me, rebuking a young person by giveing a long lecture on how he should behave is like spending money unwisely.

Yes! But learn to spell "giving" please!

4) To me, time spent on rebuking a young person by giving a long lecture on how he should behave is almost wasted.

Almost wasted? It is either wasted or it is not wasted. It is not possible to almost waste something.

How who should behave? Also you only need one space after the comma.

Only (3) is acceptable.
0 Replies

bluestblue

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 11:28 am
Re: is like to spend money unwisely
contrex wrote:

Bad. Verb forms should match. "to rebuke" (infinitive of verb) ... is to (something)

Possibly this would do:

To me, a long lecture to a young person on how he should behave is like money not spent wisely.

Or even better,

It is a waste of time lecturing young people on their behaviour.

"Giveing" is misspelt. Same remark as (1) regarding verbs

Yes! But learn to spell "giving" please!

4) To me, time spent on rebuking a young person by giving a long lecture on how he should behave is almost wasted.

Almost wasted? It is either wasted or it is not wasted. It is not possible to almost waste something.

How who should behave? Also you only need one space after the comma.

Only (3) is acceptable.

Thank you contrex! You response is VERY VERY helpful indeed!

I wish you a merry Christmas!!!
0 Replies