0
   

I am legend - Whos seen it? Discuss it here.

 
 
Lightwizard
 
  1  
Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 10:03 am
Denzel Washington in "American Gangster" was again playing 180 deg. out of most of his portrayals and can't at all be stigmatized with being type cast, except if someone is ridiculous enough to state he is being type cast as a black man.

Will Smith with "I Robot" and "I Am Legend" is playing a part that was not originally written for a black actor. He's now become the biggest male box office draw of this decade. However, I can see how the Matheson novel could be skewed in the wrong direction in just trying to give it a different twist. "National Treasure" is still drawing the most audiences.

As to Will Smith being type cast as "fey gay," someone has an overactive imagination.
0 Replies
 
maporsche
 
  1  
Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 10:38 am
Once it comes out that Smith is a scientoligist his box office draw will go down.

Unfortunately 75-80% of this country is Christian who seem somewhat afraid of anything different.
0 Replies
 
Lightwizard
 
  1  
Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 11:11 am
Will Smith tried studying Scientology with none other (big surprise) than Tom Cruise and rejected its teachings. Good idea to keep abreast of the latest news.
0 Replies
 
maporsche
 
  1  
Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 12:30 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
Will Smith tried studying Scientology with none other (big surprise) than Tom Cruise and rejected its teachings. Good idea to keep abreast of the latest news.


Will Smith's religious leanings is not NEWS.

I wouldn't even have known what I posted except I saw my celebrity obsessed mother over the holiday.
0 Replies
 
Dorothy Parker
 
  1  
Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 12:34 pm
jasonrest wrote:
Well I will explain.....

You see when one sleeps with another of the same sex, it warrants the gay label......(((I just don't like him. I haven't found out why yet, so its convenient for me to just call him a fag.)))

I think it has to do with his type casting, he always plays the same role in every movie, similar to Denzel.


Yeah he's just like the Fresh Prince in I Am Legend isn't he?

Rolling Eyes

I thinks he's a pretty good actor actually. He was good in 6 Degrees of Separation.

p.s. Jasonrest - I don't care for your homophobia
0 Replies
 
Dorothy Parker
 
  1  
Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 12:39 pm
just noticed lightwizard mentioned 6 Degrees already

Smile

btw

Will's "Gettin Jiggy With It" is always guaranteed to get me on the dance floor.
0 Replies
 
Lightwizard
 
  1  
Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 12:43 pm
Celebrity news is not news. Right. It's in the news section of Google.
0 Replies
 
maporsche
 
  1  
Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 03:12 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
Celebrity news is not news. Right. It's in the news section of Google.


Well that settles it!

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies
 
Lightwizard
 
  1  
Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 03:29 pm
The story has been in every major newspaper and on every major television network news show. Do you live on Mars?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,316808,00.html

If you don't like being corrected, do a 60 second research on Google and you won't make mistatements.
0 Replies
 
maporsche
 
  1  
Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 03:42 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
The story has been in every major newspaper and on every major television network news show. Do you live on Mars?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,316808,00.html

If you don't like being corrected, do a 60 second research on Google and you won't make mistatements.


I don't watch TV....or read the newspaper.

I truly don't mind making a mistatement about Will Smith's personal life. I hope you're very proud of your ability to correct me in this area. How come I never see you over in the Politics section where the real news is discussed?

I guess this is the same caliber news as Paris Hilton and Brittney Spears....which is to say "not very high".
0 Replies
 
Lightwizard
 
  1  
Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 03:46 pm
This is the Film section. If you don't know anything about the subject and are in the political section writing without any news media input, I'm sure you are just as inept there.
0 Replies
 
maporsche
 
  1  
Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 03:51 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
This is the Film section. If you don't know anything about the subject and are in the political section writing without any news media input, I'm sure you are just as inept there.


Nice.
0 Replies
 
Lightwizard
 
  1  
Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 04:05 pm
It's not that Will Smith is news, but although Scientology is just another goofy religion concocted by a morally defective pulp science fiction writer who concocted the whole concept in two days, it will always be news when people that are known to the public promote it. Cruise is at the top of this money grubbing pyramid scheme called a religion, Will Smith was smart enough to tag it correctly.
0 Replies
 
maporsche
 
  1  
Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 04:23 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
It's not that Will Smith is news, but although Scientology is just another goofy religion concocted by a morally defective pulp science fiction writer who concocted the whole concept in two days, it will always be news when people that are known to the public promote it. Cruise is at the top of this money grubbing pyramid scheme called a religion, Will Smith was smart enough to tag it correctly.


I agree.....religions are all messed up. Some are worse than others, but they're all bad.
0 Replies
 
Lightwizard
 
  1  
Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 04:46 pm
You're right, of course, and I apologize for the getting on your case. I do not expect everyone who posts in the Film Forum are going to be movie buffs and a misstatement has to be forgiven.

Cruise made the news only because of his not-so-cleverly disguised rant for Scientology on the Today Show, dishing up some ridiculous falsehoods as time honored fact. Dianetics is supposedly self-psychoanalysis. Anyone who act as their own psychiatrist has a fool for a client.

L. Ron Hubbard was a hack writer for pulp magazines and knew as little about science or psychiatry as Mr. Cruise. Scientology just doesn't teach that all psychiatrists and psychologists are quacks but that they have the ultimate answers for living. That's if you contribute lots of money to support those at the top. Doesn't that look like any religion as well?

They all have charitable motives but if half the money wasted on real estate and administration, including the religious executives by any other name, by these "organized" religions were actually contributed it to the poor, well, any intelligent person knows the answer to that.

But this belongs in another topic -- back to "I Am Legend."

I did see "I Robot," an amalgamation of Azimov's robot stories including the theme in "The Caves of Steel," and if one ignores its pop take on Isaac's deeply thought out premises, it was enjoyable to watch. Once.

The big screen in a theater likely hightens the experience considering the critics mostly lauded the production design, but I might wait until it is on DVD or cable.
0 Replies
 
maporsche
 
  1  
Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 05:46 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
You're right, of course, and I apologize for the getting on your case. I do not expect everyone who posts in the Film Forum are going to be movie buffs and a misstatement has to be forgiven.


No problem, it happens. I apologize for make a jab or two as well.

Embarrassed



But yes, back on topic.

I did not know that this movie was based on a book. I will have to check that book out.
0 Replies
 
Lightwizard
 
  1  
Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 06:12 pm
Richard Matheson is the author and this is his best known work. It's available at Amazon in paperback.

http://www.amazon.com/I-Am-Legend-Richard-Matheson/dp/031286504X

Earlier in this thread, without looking back, I believe it was mentioned that this is the third filming. The first one pretty much stuck to the book, starring Vincent Price, "The Last Man on Earth." The population is struck by a disease that causes them to turn into vampires. The second was "The Omega Man" with Charlton Heston which deviates in several areas from the book. The black-and-white of the first filming is really atmospheric, the second gets a little out-of-control by adding additional characters.
0 Replies
 
jasonrest
 
  1  
Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 06:52 pm
snood wrote:
Thanks, dude - I always relish the time-seasoned wisdom and advice about posting on this forum from those who have been here about long enough for a bathroom break.

And oh yeah - welcome to A2K.


Ahh yes you are a veteran member, I should "recognize" or maybe this is a forum just like any other, I join other forums just to meet different people but once again I apologize and will send you a PM requesting permission whenever I feel the need to post.

Get over yourself!
0 Replies
 
jasonrest
 
  1  
Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 06:56 pm
Dorothy Parker wrote:
jasonrest wrote:
Well I will explain.....

You see when one sleeps with another of the same sex, it warrants the gay label......(((I just don't like him. I haven't found out why yet, so its convenient for me to just call him a fag.)))

I think it has to do with his type casting, he always plays the same role in every movie, similar to Denzel.


Yeah he's just like the Fresh Prince in I Am Legend isn't he?

Rolling Eyes

I thinks he's a pretty good actor actually. He was good in 6 Degrees of Separation.

p.s. Jasonrest - I don't care for your homophobia


Sorry, not homophobic but its quite convenient for you to say so, I understand. Just not a big fan of Mr. Smith and I refuse to explain it again.
0 Replies
 
squinney
 
  1  
Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 09:11 pm
Just got back from seeing I Am Legend.

The computerized stuff bothered me at first, then I adjusted.

The ending bothered me a lot. I have not adjusted.

I agree with others that the first two thirds was intense. The last third when Anna shows up... All down hill.

I think the KV guy was the girls boyfriend and that was why he "yelled" at Will when he captured her, set the identicle trap, and was the one making the biggest attempt to get him. Boyfriend, father, brother... some close relationship was what I picked up.

Also, Anna said she came from Maryland (picked up Wills radio message) and was heading for Vermont, so she was not already on the island. Wouldn't have been a big deal to have arrived by boat during the day, though so...

Bothered me the way the helicopter scene with his family left us hanging.

The ending seemed like "Okay, folks, we've spent XXX amount of time making this movie and we have a deadline. Lets wrap it up real quick." It got hokey and was too abrupt.
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

 
Copyright © 2022 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 08/12/2022 at 04:07:05