I need to accept it!!

material girl

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 05:18 am
HI guys.

The last few days Ive realised I have nothing to do with my days and instead of doing nothing round the house I could be earning some pocket money,so, despite being very low in confidence Ive decided to apply for a part time job in a gift shop.Finally got my cv done so I can hand in all the application stuff today.
Please send out 'you dont need to do an interview, just go and do the job' vibes....basically I cant do interviews, hence Ive always had crud jobs.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 06:35 am
So... Where's your website link in your profile?

I can't wear metal, so if you have beaded things I would love to see them.

What's "Finally got my cv done..."

If you could do anything, even if there is no such job at this time, what would it be? What do you see yourself doing that you would enjoy?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 06:40 am
oh hey mg!

I was thinking about you just yesterday, wondering how you're doing.

SO nice to see you m'dear.

squinny...cv = resume.

Good luck getting the job at the gift shop, might be just what you need right now...gets you out of the house, and you might be able to make contacts that will lead to something bigger.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 06:45 am
Chai wrote:

squinny...cv = resume.

Oh, okay.

cv= resume. Hmm. No wonder the younger generations are having such a tough time.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 09:21 am
cv stands for curiculum vitae....here in the states that term is mostly used for doctors and such.

Aside....it took me the longest time to realize when brits were talking about solicitors, they were referring to lawyers.

I would think, "damn those english must always have somebody tryin' to sell them something!" Razz
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 09:52 am
material girl wrote:
Theres a new fashion shop just opened up in a gorgeous Georgian house, may just take a walk by it,seee if by a miracle they are advertising jobs.

As an aside, the best jobs I've ever gotten were from just asking when they weren't advertising.

When you respond to an ad, you have to compete with every Tom, Dick, and Harriet in town.

Walk in and say, "I love your place... keep me in mind if you have anything come open."

Might save 'em placing an ad, and you don't have a load of competition.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 02:13 pm
MG--

My fingers are crossed. You can do it.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 03:29 pm
Material Girl, I've been away for a bit but I didn't realize you did jewelry. I am impressed that you make jewelry. Can you give us your website so I can take a look?

As for the job search, well if you are the creative type, you should look for a job that is in that arena.

I once went into a clothing manufacturing company (off the cuff) and asked to speak to the hiring manager. They did not have an opening, but were so impressed that I made the effort that they called several weeks later when there was an opening. I got the job and it was design work so I learned a brand new skill that I had no experience or (I would have thought) flair for. It's the putting yourself out there that gets you contacts and puts you in the running for something outside the 'office drudgery' that you don't want to get into.

You have many options:

1. Call a producing company (TV, Music, Radio, Film) and ask about runners (if they need someone to handle basic things like getting tea/coffee, running errands, etc). This is a crappy job alright but it gets you into the entertainment field and even gets you in contact with professionals who you can watch and learn from. I got a personal assistant job to an entertainer and you would not believe who I met through this. Doing their associates favors like picking up dry cleaning, handling a call when their assistant is sick, or taking their dog to the vet, also makes them remember you down the road.

2. Join a jewelry association and have your website linked to theirs.

3. If you have a decent amount of stock, do a presentation at a local college/university/high school/community center, showing your jewelry and giving out your contact information.

4. Find out about any bridal organizers and see if they will include pictures of your jewelry in their books/files. Tell them you do custom jewelry and can match colors/styles of the wedding party.

5. Did you take a class on jewelry-making? If not, how pricey would it be to join a class and meet other like-minded people and get some contacts that way?

6. Would you consider joining an ad agency? Again you'd probably have to go in at ground level and do the crappy jobs, but the potential to learn and be in that atmosphere would be a bit more exciting right?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 04:50 pm
Good luck, mg! Very Happy
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 08:35 am
Brief thought...

mg, how about if you don't look at it as an interview, a test, and just look at it as though your visting someone and just going to have conversation?

That's all an interview is, really.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 08:39 am
I think she is looking for a job where she can sit around all day and browse A2K, but, really, where would one find such a job?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 08:40 am
shut up

I multi-task
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 08:42 am
btw gus, you're like, definately good looking. are you looking for a strong relationship? give me you phone # and I will call you soon.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 08:44 am
!-800 Get Farmer
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 08:45 am
Chai wrote:
btw gus, you're like, definately good looking. are you looking for a strong relationship? give me you phone # and I will call you soon.

Wow that line really does work.

Who knew....
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 10:17 am
To clear up the confusion:

You may post a link in your www button. You reach that through the Profile link at the top of the page. You may NOT post your link elsewhere, even in the body of your Profile. If you have more than one link, rotate them or something. Sorry about that but that's how the site is set up. Thank you.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 07:42 am
Hiya

Its 2 official months since ive been unemployed.I cant seem to make myself apply for a job where my official title would be 'sandwich artist'.
I applied for a computer course yesterday, hopefully they wont get back to me saying theres no places left.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 04:55 am
material girl--

What is happening?
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 05:05 am
HI Noddy24.
Asked about a job last week, saturdays to start with then maybe il get shifts during the week....fat lot of good that is.
Went to ask about another job today but the signs arnt there anymore, also somewhere I already applied for is advertising a similar part time job, but I wasnt good enough for them last time so stuff 'em.

Start my course this thursday.Will be nice to be doing something different and to be surrounded by people interested in the same thing as me.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 05:35 am
MG--

Computer skills are very useful these days--as is the company of bright, motivated people.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies