I need to accept it!!

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 04:46 am
Ironically I put this in the life at work section.

I have a few days left of my holidays, from the new year I will be unemployed.I can see my parents gearing up to the 'have you got a job yet' conversation.So far they are tolerating my holidays.

Why cant I accept that I will have to spend the next 30 years in an office or a shop,whats wrong with me???
Arnt I supposed to want to do it?
Obviously I want to work but really, why does it have to be so unexciting?

I want one of those jobs that no one ever hears of, something exciting and interesting!!!

I live in a dream world hoping itl just drop inot my lap one day.Fat chance.

Oh well, Happy Christmas one and all.........bah humbug.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,824 • Replies: 43
No top replies

Chai

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 08:37 am
What about your interest in making jewelry?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 09:57 am
Except for the part about it dropping into your lap, what you're looking for can happen. Having an exciting career is more than a dream, it's a possibility but you have to make it happen.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 10:23 am
i second the jewelry making option. you've got great stuff besides.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 10:37 am
What are your interests?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 02:22 pm
Material Girl--

I agree with the other Powerful Women Posting--we want you to be one of us. You can be one of us and shape your own destiny, but you have to put some time and energy into the project.

Assignment (to be completed before 1/1/08.)

What are you looking for in a permanent job--your dream job.

What are you willing to accept for a keep-your-head-above-water job while you work on your dreams?
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 02:38 pm
What are the chanced you could go back to school? Education is freedom, mg.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 04:52 am
HIya

I have my own jewellery internet business but its sloooow.I dont expect to be in a major competition to Tiffanys at any point but it would be nice to think my work was being noticed.

Hmm, yes, Im aware I need some kind of education.Ive looked at design jobs which you need a CAD qualifications for but then again Id need 2 years worth of experience in the field too.

Id like something creative, something where Im not sat on my butt all day, something thats different everyday, productive so I can see what Ive done at the end of the day.

The end of the year is approaching and I keep getting a bit of puke regurgitating in my mouth when i think about what il have to be doing soon.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 12:54 pm
it could be worse....."do you want fries with that?&quo
Time is too precious to be wasted at employment you dislike. Take solice in knowing that the majority of people in this world dislike their jobs. You could always live in the woods, and eat off the land. That last sentence was a pun.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 05:46 am
Thanks for agreeing that lifes too precious to waste on a crud job.
Theres a new fashion shop just opened up in a gorgeous Georgian house, may just take a walk by it,seee if by a miracle they are advertising jobs.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 06:14 am
bm
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 08:14 am
Re: it could be worse....."do you want fries with that?
alex240101 wrote:
T You could always live in the woods, and eat off the land. That last sentence was a pun.

I do live in the woods, eat off the land and I still need to work.

MG, I think you have to make finding an interesting job your current job. You are now the CEO of "Find Material Girl a Job She Enjoys Inc." You need to work everyday to get yourself in the right direction doing what you are most interested in.

Absolutely go and apply at the new fashion shop. Remember to sound confident, happy and enthusiastic. At least bring them some of your jewelry designs, maybe they will carry them.

I would suggest you make a list of business' in your area that you might like to work for. Go online and see if the companies have websites. Research a company based on their website and then call them. Ask for the personnel department or a hiring manager. Calling is better than sending an email or letter because you can establish a contact with a person, make sure and get their name for future reference. Before calling, make a list of why you think you would be an asset for the company (practice sounding confident). If they're not hiring, get the name of the person who makes the hiring decisions and send a follow-up letter saying you already contacted their company and are just following up because you are sooo interested in working for them. Explain why they should consider you, and emphasize that if a position opens up you would like the opportunity for an interview.

Your other option is to advertise yourself in the classified section of craft, art or design publications/magazines/newspapers. Take out a small ad saying something like: Diversely creative, hardworking individual looking for a challenging position in fashion, art, jewelry design.....(you fill in). Skills include the ability to work independently, think outside the box (you fill in the rest).... Willing to start at an entry level position to prove I'm what you need etc etc.

There are some good writers on this forum and I'm sure they will be happy to help you compose a worthy sales pitch.

You current situation is actually a good one to do a little soul and job searching - no mortgage, no kids, no school loans, national health care coverage etc - you just have to get focused and be willing to take the initial steps. We are all interested in how you make out - Good luck.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 03:21 pm
Your website is really nice looking and your jewelry is just gorgeous, so how about promoting your site? If I had a great site all set up like you do, I'd be advertising the heck out of it!!
I was just noticing you don't have it linked to from here-- what about putting a link in your profile, you know, so that it shows "www" in each of your posts?

Also, I've heard of something called Project Wonderful that sounds pretty cool; it's a cheap way to get ads for your site onto other sites-- one really popular site I visit has ads by Project Wonderful, and they're in a good spot on the page and everything, and a lot of times they hardly cost a thing (prices vary because it's kind of a bidding thing, but right now it's $3.10-- heh, with exchange rates the way they are, that's pennies for you! Wink). You might google project wonderful and find out more, but anyway, I think you oughta start pushing your site any way you can.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 12:20 am
I'd love to see your website, mg.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 03:51 am
Keep your eyes open for interesting things and walk right in if you see them. If you don't ask, you don't get it...

And I'd like to see your homepage, too!
0 Replies

Heatwave

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 10:29 am
I'd like to see your website, too, MG. Providing a link in your sig. line is a good idea.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 10:42 am
Another who would like to have a look see :-)

Best of luck to you MG. I hear ya, believe me I hear ya!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 03:46 pm
I'm not sure but I don't think web links in a sig line are kosher.

I know that web links on your home page are perfectly acceptable.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 03:54 pm
Yeah, I was wondering about that.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 11:49 pm
Not in the sig line, but if you go into your profile there's a spot where you can fill in your website, and then it shows up in your posts.... you know, how some people have a little "www" button next to the "profile" and "pm" buttons on their posts?
0 Replies