The 82nd Rainforest Thread ~

danon5

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 10:29 am
Hope so, Stradee. But, with the Skulls everything is kept quiet - we won't know whats happening.

Saved another tree today..... Very Happy
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 10:43 am
Senate Democrats thwarted Idaho Sen. Larry Craig's bid to use a federal spending bill to dictate water flow for Northwest salmon.

A bill approved by Congress removed a Craig-sponsored amendment directing the Bush administration to go forward with a policy on Northwest fish that a judge has twice ruled illegal

"Endangered and threatened salmon and steelhead are vital to communities in the Northwest, and it is critical that we get the salmon protection plan right," said Sen. Maria Cantwell, D-Wash., who led the effort to remove a provision inserted by Craig, a Republican, in an earlier version of the spending bill.

The amendment would have directed the Interior Department to implement without further delay a salmon recovery plan issued by the Bush administration in 2005.

A federal judge ruled last year that the plan violated the Endangered Species Act because it did not do enough to promote recovery of threatened salmon. The policy by the National Marine Fisheries Service does not provide enough water to allow salmon to thrive and shifts the burden for recovery of the threatened fish to Oregon and Washington state, U.S. District Judge James Redden ruled.

The order marked the second time that Redden has overturned Bush administration salmon policy. Redden ordered federal officials to submit a new plan that would balance demands of dams and threatened or endangered fish runs in the Columbia and Snake rivers.

"For over two years, local, state, federal and tribal authorities have worked in a court-ordered collaborative process to develop a plan to protect the Columbia and Snake River salmon plan," Cantwell said.

Working with Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., "we were able to ensure that independent judicial process is not undermined by congressional intervention," Cantwell said.

In a statement issued by the entire Idaho congressional delegation, Craig, fellow Republican Sen. Mike Crapo and GOP Reps. Mike Simpson and Bill Sali said the Bush administration's salmon policy remains intact, despite Redden's ruling.

"The language we worked to insert into the omnibus appropriations bill was meant to reaffirm Congress's commitment to the law of the land," the statement said. "Regardless, the law still stands, and we hope that federal judges pay attention to that because it is our best hope to restore salmon and maintain our economy."

Democrats and salmon advocates said the new spending bill would protect and restore salmon and steelhead in the Columbia and Snake rivers. The two rivers span Idaho, Washington state, Oregon, Montana and Wyoming, as well as parts of Canada.

http://rainforest.care2.com/i?p=583091674
0 Replies

teenyboone

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 10:47 am
Cool Cool Cool 10 Clicks and 2 petitions! Cool Cool Cool
0 Replies

teenyboone

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 10:52 am
Stradee wrote:
Senate Democrats thwarted Idaho Sen. Larry Craig's bid to use a federal spending bill to dictate water flow for Northwest salmon.

A bill approved by Congress removed a Craig-sponsored amendment directing the Bush administration to go forward with a policy on Northwest fish that a judge has twice ruled illegal

"Endangered and threatened salmon and steelhead are vital to communities in the Northwest, and it is critical that we get the salmon protection plan right," said Sen. Maria Cantwell, D-Wash., who led the effort to remove a provision inserted by Craig, a Republican, in an earlier version of the spending bill.

The amendment would have directed the Interior Department to implement without further delay a salmon recovery plan issued by the Bush administration in 2005.

A federal judge ruled last year that the plan violated the Endangered Species Act because it did not do enough to promote recovery of threatened salmon. The policy by the National Marine Fisheries Service does not provide enough water to allow salmon to thrive and shifts the burden for recovery of the threatened fish to Oregon and Washington state, U.S. District Judge James Redden ruled.

The order marked the second time that Redden has overturned Bush administration salmon policy. Redden ordered federal officials to submit a new plan that would balance demands of dams and threatened or endangered fish runs in the Columbia and Snake rivers.

"For over two years, local, state, federal and tribal authorities have worked in a court-ordered collaborative process to develop a plan to protect the Columbia and Snake River salmon plan," Cantwell said.

Working with Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., "we were able to ensure that independent judicial process is not undermined by congressional intervention," Cantwell said.

In a statement issued by the entire Idaho congressional delegation, Craig, fellow Republican Sen. Mike Crapo and GOP Reps. Mike Simpson and Bill Sali said the Bush administration's salmon policy remains intact, despite Redden's ruling.

"The language we worked to insert into the omnibus appropriations bill was meant to reaffirm Congress's commitment to the law of the land," the statement said. "Regardless, the law still stands, and we hope that federal judges pay attention to that because it is our best hope to restore salmon and maintain our economy."

Democrats and salmon advocates said the new spending bill would protect and restore salmon and steelhead in the Columbia and Snake rivers. The two rivers span Idaho, Washington state, Oregon, Montana and Wyoming, as well as parts of Canada.

HE SHOULD STICK TO RESTROOMS!
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 11:14 am
yo, teeny

Did you add the "He Should Stick To Restrooms" comment? Question or was the comment there when quoted the posting Question
0 Replies

teenyboone

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 05:43 pm
Stradee wrote:
yo, teeny

Did you add the "He Should Stick To Restrooms" comment? Question or was the comment there when quoted the posting Question

Sorry, I added that line, as a joke!
Cool Cool Cool Cool
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 06:16 pm
You and your 300 friends have supported 2,848,032.3 square feet!

~~~~

1 1606 65.380 acres
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 06:40 pm
Good God, don't be sorry, Teeny!

I thought the typing was some sort of technical error that appeared from the ether! duh

{good one, btw Cool }
0 Replies

teenyboone

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 07:22 pm
Stradee wrote:
Good God, don't be sorry, Teeny!

I thought the typing was some sort of technical error that appeared from the ether! duh

{good one, btw Cool }

Trust me, I was trying to make a funny! :wink: :wink: :wink:
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 09:37 pm
CLICK Laughing Very Happy Smile Cool Razz Twisted Evil :wink: Drunk Mr. Green
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 07:16 am
Yet another Friday - have a great weekend all.

clicked.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 08:29 am
My Monday - new workweek begins again...

Have a great day, Wildclickers!

0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 12:15 pm
Viva Los Wildclickers! Twisted Evil Very Happy Smile Laughing Surprised :wink: Drunk Mr. Green Idea
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 01:55 pm
You and your 300 friends have supported 2,848,524.0 square feet!

~~~

1 1608 65.390 acres
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 10:06 pm
Late Saturday night - I had a tree to save........ Very Happy

All clicked.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 10:07 pm
danon5 wrote:
Late Saturday night - I had a tree to save........ Very Happy

All clicked.
How did you save a tree?

Click Very Happy
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 11:14 pm
workworkworkworkworkworkwork...

late clicks

0 Replies

teenyboone

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 08:42 am
Amigo wrote:
CLICK Laughing Very Happy Smile Cool Razz Twisted Evil :wink: Drunk Mr. Green

All clicked for today!
Cool Cool Cool
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 10:21 am
You and your 300 friends have supported 2,848,898.6 square feet!

~~~

clicked my way through the rounds

~~~

1 1609 65.398 acres
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2008 12:24 pm
g'day wildclickers

sunshine Very Happy {sierra ski heaven}

0 Replies