The 82nd Rainforest Thread ~

ehBeth

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2008 05:18 pm
You and your 300 friends have supported 2,875,707.1 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 203,664.2 square feet.
You have supported: (0.0)
Your 300 friends have supported: (203,664.2)

American Prairie habitat supported: 64,446.7 square feet.
You have supported: (15,544.8)
Your 300 friends have supported: (48,901.9)

Rainforest habitat supported: 2,607,596.1 square feet.
You have supported: (186,267.4)
Your 300 friends have supported: (2,421,328.8)

~~~

another 5 - 10 cm expected for tomorrow
Shocked

there are still snow piles that are taller than I am between here and the subway station - the sidewalks are mostly clear now but those piles take a lonnnnnnnnng time to melt
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2008 10:36 pm
Thanks a million ehBeth. We Wildclickers think of you as our leader - - - Exclamation

teeny - you are absolutely correct. Our current government is GOP, led by Papa Bush on his third term as president of the USA. The Republican Right Wing is for War. War is profitable for the One Percent of the American people who are in possession of 98% of the entire wealth of the USA - and in agreement with the worlds first nation groups - that is where their money comes from. It is the same thing that brought the ancient Roman Empire to riches - they attacked countries and stole the wealth from them. They did it for hundreds of years - until the wealth became to the point that they didn't have to fight for it - they hired foreign people to do the fighting - that was when the Empire fell. Today, our President Bush has fallen into the same syndrom - he has allowed non - highschool kids to enlist - as well as felons who have served in prison and are not allowed to even vote in an election to join the USA armed services and fight in Iraq. I for one think Bush Stinks as a president. There is so much evidence against the entire Bush family - they should all be in prision. How many siblings do you know that our current president G. W. Bush has???

Not many people do.

#1 = George W. Bush = our current third term for Herbert Walker Bush. I can tell you about his failures in business and his social affairs.......But, he has failed in each thing he has been GIVEN by his father - even to this day - He FAILED in Iraq in the beginning - and is FAILING now. He has FAILED at every thing given to him by his father from the beginning. Even an oil well company in the middle east GIVEN to him by his father. He is probably the only human being on earth to have an oil well drilling company in the Middle East that didn't find any oil - (That's a true story)..

#2 = J.E.B = John Ellis Bush = His initials - he fuched taxpayers out of over TWO BILLIONS of taxpayers MEDICARE dollars in FLORIDA, and the "Federal Inspectors said of him, "He was too stupid to indict," Does that sound Papa - or, WHAT?? He kept over FOUR MILLIONS of USA taxpayers DOLLARS.
After that - he became Governor of Florida at a point when "Dubya" was behind in the 2000 election process. Which was ultimately decided by the "USA Supreme Court" ( the total excuse for the current president and his father the former "president" The Fricking "Supreme Court" is a farse.

#3 = Neil Mallon Bush
Wow....... this guy stole TWO BILLIONS USA dollars from our accounts during the Colorado Saving and Loan Scandal - and retained TWO and a HALF MILLION of our TAX dollars.. WHY????? and HOW????.

#4 = Marvin Pierce Bush = this one is a mystery. Nobody has ever heard of him and he is apparently being the one to take over Herbert Walker Bushes business. THAT IS THE SCAREY PART !!!!!

#5 = approx order of birth = Dorothy Bush

She is still alive and dangerous too.

It's a shitty world and the name of the **** is Bush. Hammered ****.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 05:37 am
Edwards was right and the people didn't want to hear. Obama is right and will the people hear? Hillary is a Bush-mentality surrogate.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 05:38 am
ehBeth,

Think of all the good gardening that will result from the snow melt, not to mention the replenishment of aquifers and reservoirs.
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 08:12 am
Good morning sumac and all Wildclickers.

Here we are at another Tuesday - and all is well.

I heard something recently that made me laugh - "When I awake, and poke my elbows out and don't hit wood, I'm happy." ie., not in a coffin.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 11:14 am
g'day wildclickers

Teeny, way ta go, girl! Prayer and good works. Very Happy

The current administration will be gone soon enough. What a democratic government will inherit is what gwb&co bestowed. Trillions in debt, a neverending war, enviornmental hijacking, gross polluters, recession...etc.

Dusgusting mess those repugs...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 05:09 pm
The temperature is neither here nor there, so slush is falling. Quite an effect.

~~~

You and your 300 friends have supported 2,876,198.7 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 203,804.7 square feet.
You have supported: (0.0)
Your 300 friends have supported: (203,804.7)

American Prairie habitat supported: 64,470.1 square feet.
You have supported: (15,544.8)
Your 300 friends have supported: (48,925.3)

Rainforest habitat supported: 2,607,923.9 square feet.
You have supported: (186,290.8)
Your 300 friends have supported: (2,421,633.1)

~~~

it's not time yet, but I am looking forward to seeing the first scillas

http://bp0.blogger.com/_iXvH3ksB7LM/Rg1GTg87VoI/AAAAAAAAACs/61V77PRNEQc/s1600/scilla070329b.jpg
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 06:38 pm
Even ehBeth bombs on images now and then.

ast Antarctic Ice Shelf on Verge of Collapse

Andrea Thompson
LiveScience Staff Writer
LiveScience.com2 hours, 25 minutes ago

A vast ice shelf hanging on by a thin strip looks to be the next chunk to break off from the Antarctic Peninsula, the latest sign of global warming's impact on Earth's southernmost continent.

Scientists are shocked by the rapid change of events.

Glaciologist Ted Scambos of the University of Colorado was monitoring satellite images of the Wilkins Ice Shelf and spotted a huge iceberg measuring 25 miles by 1.5 miles (41 kilometers by 2.5 kilometers) that appeared to have broken away from the shelf.

Scambos alerted colleagues at the British Antarctic Survey (BAS) that it looked like the entire ice shelf - about 6,180 square miles (16,000 square kilometers - about the size of Northern Ireland)- was at risk of collapsing.

David Vaughan of the BAS had predicted in 1993 that the northern part of the Wilkins Ice Shelf was likely to be lost within 30 years if warming on the Peninsula continued at the same rate.

"Wilkins is the largest ice shelf on the Antarctic Peninsula yet to be threatened," he said. "I didn't expect to see things happen this quickly. The ice shelf is hanging by a thread - we'll know in the next few days and weeks what its fate will be."

Aircraft reconnaissance

The BAS scientists sent an aircraft out on a reconnaissance mission to survey the extent of damage to the ice shelf.

Jim Elliot, who captured video of the breakout said, "I've never seen anything like this before - it was awesome. We flew along the main crack and observed the sheer scale of movement from the breakage. Big hefty chunks of ice, the size of small houses, look as though they've been thrown around like rubble - it's like an explosion."

An initial iceberg calved away from the Wilkins Ice Shelf on Feb. 28. A series of images shows the edge of the ice shelf proceeding to crumble and disintegrate in a pattern characteristic of climate-caused ice shelf retreats throughout the northern Antarctic Peninsula. The disintegration left a sky-blue patch of hundreds of large blocks of exposed old glacier ice floating across the ocean surface.

Though these broken chunks of ice have spread into the sea, they won't raise sea levels because the ice shelf was already floating on the water.

By March 8, the ice shelf had lost just over 160 square miles (414 square kilometers) of ice, and the disintegrated ice had spread over 540 square miles (1,400 square kilometers). As of mid-March only a narrow strip of shelf ice between Charcot and Latady islands was protecting several thousand more kilometers of the ice shelf from potentially breaking up.

The region where the Wilkins Ice Shelf lies has experienced unprecedented warming in the past 50 years, with several ice shelves retreating in the past 30 years. Six of these ice shelves have collapsed completely: Prince Gustav Channel, Larsen Inlet, Larsen A, Larsen B, Wordie, Muller and the Jones Ice Shelf.

Antarctic warming

The Wilkins Ice Shelf was stable for most of the last century until it began retreating in the 1990s. A previous major breakout occurred there in 1998 when 390 square miles (1,000 square kilometers) of ice was lost in just a few months.

"We believe the Wilkins has been in place for at least a few hundred years, but warm air and exposure to ocean waves are causing it to break up," Scambos said.

The Antarctic Peninsula has warmed faster than anywhere else in the Southern Hemisphere; temperature records show that the region has warmed by nearly 3 degrees Celsius during the past 50 years - several times the global average and only matched in Alaska.

Other parts of Antarctica, including the East Antarctic Ice Sheet, seem to be more stable, though areas of melt have been observed in recent years.

Melting in the Antarctic is different than the recent record melt in the Arctic. Antarctica is composed of ice sheets, or huge masses of ice up to 2.5 miles (4 kilometers) thick that lie on top of bedrock and flow toward the coast, and ice shelves, the floating extensions of ice sheets. Arctic ice is primarily sea ice, some of which persists year-round and some of which melts in the summer and freezes again in the winter.
Video: Antarctic Ice Shelf Disintegration North vs. South Poles: 10 Wild Differences Images: Ice of the Antarctic
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 06:44 pm
Can you see it if you put your cursor over the image and left click - view image?

Is it visible only to foxfire users?

Weird-ish.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 06:49 pm
That works for me with right click, in Firefox, view image through Windows Image and Fax Viewer.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 07:03 pm
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2008/03/25/science/25bats.xlarge1.jpg[/u]
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 07:04 pm
That's very interesting - sumac. I lived in Fairbanks, Alaska from April '70 for two and a half years. The first year there the winter temp was minus 72 F for two weeks - I thought it was normal, but, found out recently on the History Channel that it was a record low. The other winters I lived there, the temps were approx minus 50 F. I have been looking at the temps listed on the national news and have not seen temps below the mid minus 20's, and then only for a day or two. That is scary.

We are in a changing world - My neighbor is planting a garden. That is a sign that things are not good. He never did that before. But, I think he has a good idea that will prove well in the end.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2008 07:20 pm
http://msnbcmedia4.msn.com/j/ap/fd718f5c-e849-4f78-8b22-56efd324c608.hmedium.jpg

U.S. to weigh {?} if Arctic ice seals need help
Agency cites climate change as possibly impacting species

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23816177/
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2008 07:53 pm
Good god - now poor bats declining and nobody knows why. {sigh}

Congress alloted funding to study why bees are disappearing, perhaps they'll also begin investigating why bat habitat {in certain areas} no longer sustains the animals.

Sadly, the Endangered Species list increases daily.

http://rainforest.care2.com/i?p=583091674
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2008 09:04 pm
You and your 300 friends have supported 2,876,432.9 square feet!

~~~

bats are cool - we need to have lots of them
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2008 10:56 pm
Stradee, I have read that the average extinctions of species on earth are approx, 1500 per year. That's scary.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2008 06:45 am
That huge shelf in Anartica did collapse - it was on the news last night. Will go see if Care2 will let me click.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2008 07:07 pm
Dan, those stats are just the tip of the iceberg, so to speak.

Industrial waste is killing the planet. Sadly, extinction is forever.

http://rainforest.care2.com/i?p=583091674
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2008 08:04 pm
You and your 300 friends have supported 2,876,830.9 square feet!

~~~

http://www.salon.com/tech/htww/2008/03/26/antarctic_ice_shelf/index.html

Quote:
Bye-bye, Antarctica?

There's nothing like pictures and videos of a collapsing ice shelf in Antarctica for focusing the mind on climate change. But in a fit of perversity, I seized upon the news about the crumbling Wilkins shelf, a 5,000-square-mile chunk of ice that is part of the Antarctic Peninsula, as an opportunity to find out how the skeptics were spinning the news.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/03/26/healthscience/ice.php

Quote:
WASHINGTON: A chunk of Antarctic ice seven times the size of Manhattan Island has suddenly collapsed, putting an even greater portion of glacial ice at risk, according to scientists.

Satellite images starting Feb. 28 show the runaway disintegration of a chunk covering 414 square kilometers, or 160 square miles. The ice was on the edge of the Wilkins Ice Shelf and had been there for possibly 1,500 years.

This is the result of global warming, David Vaughan, a scientist at the British Antarctic Survey, said Tuesday.

Because scientists noticed satellite images within hours, they diverted satellite cameras and even flew an airplane over the ongoing collapse for rare pictures and video.

"It's an event we don't get to see very often," said Ted Scambos, lead scientist at the U.S. National Snow and Ice Data Center in Boulder, Colorado. "The cracks fill with water and slice off and topple. That gets to be a runaway situation."
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2008 08:20 pm
My God, all our great grandchildren will have gills.

clicked, Patti is not good.

Keep the clicks coming Wildclickers.
0 Replies