Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 10:43 am
Dan, thanks so much!

You're a gem, truly ~ and we love you too! Smile

http://rainforest.care2.com/i?p=583091674
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 12:02 pm
ul, so glad your feeling better! Smile

Yep ~ kept checking the pie to make sure it wasn't going the same way as the timer...and an hour later - voila! Pie and ice cream for dessert!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 04:53 pm
You and your 300 friends have supported 2,872,171.6 square feet!

~~~

http://www.cafedorocappuccino.com/images/selection_unlimited_cappuccino/ApplePieAlaModeonplate.jpg

~~~

around here you're more likely to get a chunk of old cheddar with your apple pie

I've been tempted to try to make some of the recipes for cheddar pie crust to deposit my apples in ...
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 05:23 pm
Song when born = "(I've Got a Gal in) Kalamazoo" by Glenn Miller

Yeah, I know it was a looooong time ago. Shocked

Glad to hear we are all feeling better.... Very Happy Very Happy

ehBeth, I think you are in for a HEAT spell. We are having 80 degrees plus tomorrow. This IS actually still WINTER and all the trees are budding and leafing here. Flowers are blooming and there are sooo many insects it's unbelievable. What is happening to our world?????
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 05:29 pm
our 14 day forecast shows at least another 4 days of snow

it's going to be a record-breaker (I hope)

almost 7 feet of snow here this winter!
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 06:54 pm
Hey, Danon

Carlyle Fund's Assets Seized
Leaders Fail to Stop Securities Sell-Off

By Thomas Heath
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, March 13, 2008; D01

A publicly traded affiliate of the Carlyle Group said yesterday that lenders were seizing its assets, sending the fund, Carlyle Capital, into insolvency.

The collapse of Carlyle Capital is the first time a Carlyle Group fund has failed and is a stinging embarrassment for the District private-equity powerhouse, which has built an international reputation with a client list that reaches around the world.

The high-profile downfall, part of the broad turmoil in credit markets worldwide, followed a week of frantic negotiations between the Carlyle Group and a number of lenders. Carlyle Group's three founders as recently as Monday were considering injecting cash into the fund as a way to usher it through the credit crisis.

By yesterday the fund had defaulted on $16.6 billion of debt and said it expected to default soon on its remaining debt. The fund's $21.7 billion in assets were exclusively in AAA mortgage-backed securities issued by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, traditionally considered secure and conservative investments, which it was using as collateral against its loans.

In a statement, Carlyle Capital said that it had been unable to meet margin calls in excess of $400 million over the past week and that it expected its lenders to take control of its remaining assets. The lenders, headed by Deutsche Bank and J.P. Morgan Chase, began selling the securities last night, according to a report on the Wall Street Journal's Web site.

The problems at Carlyle Capital have preoccupied the top leaders at Carlyle Group. The firm's founders, David M. Rubenstein, William E. Conway Jr. and Daniel D'Aniello, had been in meetings with lenders in an effort to resolve Carlyle Capital's problems, not only to protect their own investment and that of employees who have put millions of dollars into the company, but also to preserve Carlyle's Midas-touch reputation.

Forbes magazine last year estimated Carlyle's three founders to each be worth about $2.5 billion.

Carlyle Capital is incorporated on Guernsey, an island in the English Channel, and is traded on Amsterdam's Euronext exchange.

The fund was set up in August 2006 with roughly $670 million in cash from Carlyle's owners and other investors, and about $300 million in additional capital raised from a public stock sale.

The capital allowed the fund to go to banks and borrow far more, leveraging its cash investment some 20 times into the portfolio.

Carlyle Capital's prospects were dimmed by the same doubts that have upended securities linked to riskier subprime mortgages, namely whether the underlying assets were losing value and whether the homeowners would continue to make their payments.

As the market value of the Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac securities has dropped, Carlyle Capital's lenders asked it to increase its cash equity from what was 1 percent to as much as 5 percent. An increase of that amount on $20 billion in loans amounts to several hundred million dollars.

The Carlyle Group last summer loaned Carlyle Capital $150 million to cover debt obligations.

Conway and Rubenstein were in New York much of this week, accompanied by a team of Carlyle Group insiders, including the company's chief financial officer, negotiating a "standstill" agreement with lenders as they tried to work out a financial solution.

The agreement would have stopped lenders from foreclosing on loans they made to Carlyle Capital.

Carlyle Capital stock closed at $2.80 in Amsterdam yesterday before the announcement, off 89 percent from its peak.

Post a Comment

View all comments that have been posted about this article.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 07:00 pm
. "Sunday, Monday or Always" by Bing Crosby

Don't think I know that one.

Glad that you are both feeling better, Ul and Stradee.

I am not getting email updates either, and I am not turned off.

Veggie garden rototilled and lettuce and swisschard from last fall finally got going, over wintered nicely, and arugula is in bloom (I saw a bee today). Gave away a ton of arugula, mustard greens, and am ready to replant with seeds. Will rototill one more time next week, then get going. Will start hot weather plants from seeds in my new portable 6' x 7' greenhouse. It is not unpacked and put up yet.

With the price of food, the only defense is to grow your own and become a vegetarian.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 03:30 am
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 04:04 am
ECOLOGY: Shared Prosperity
Andrew M. Sugden

The relationships between biodiversity and ecosystem function (such as productivity and nutrient dynamics) have mostly been investigated with tractable ecological communities such as herbaceous vegetation. Now Potvin and Gotelli have extended such studies to simple tree communities, with an experiment on the effects of tree species diversity on yield, measured by growth in tree basal area. In a forest plantation in Panama, plots in which several species of tree seedlings were planted yielded 30 to 58% more growth than monocultures after 5 years. The increased yield resulted from increased growth in the mixed-species plots rather than from mortality in the monocultures. The authors speculate that competition for light is greater in monocultures, implying that more effective partitioning of resources permits more biomass accumulation in the mixed-species plots. -- AMS

Ecol. Lett. 11, 217 (2008).
0 Replies

ul

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 02:39 pm
Lots of rain today, spring cleaning in nature. Very Happy
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 09:47 am
I clicked yesterday - but couldn't log on A2K. Oh well.

Clicked today.
0 Replies

ul

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 10:01 am
Easter Break!
Spring cleaning, painting easter eggs, just an old fashioned Easter week. Very Happy
[URL=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/311/osterhasenteaserso6.jpg[/URL][/IMG]
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 10:14 am
Hamsters were nynite yesterday - flu season Sad

Clicked the Rainforest team link posted at Maggies site though. Hurray!

Lots of rain here too, ul. Very Happy Have fun with Easter Egg decorations!

sue, that has to be the most interesting [and humorous] article written about evolution that i've read to date! LOL

Bio trees? Good God!

Amazing there are bees buzzin' in the Sierra's again! Well, one that i saw {must be sue's bees cousin Smile} Organic gardening. Yep. Very Happy

ehBeth, cheddar cheese must be the flavor of the month! Found {for making a great penini} sliced french bread with cheddar n' garlic added to the recipe. yum

Have a great day all ~

0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 05:27 pm
Great rain event here - same system that produced the tornado in Atlanta. I had to distribute the contents of my rain barrels to make them fillable again. Everyone getting a really great drink.

Yep, that cheddar cheese pie crust looked fabulous, and your bread sounds wonderful. Bread is so expensive now. Heard on TV that the price of wheat has tripled in the last 10 months. I will have to make my own. But the basic ingredients, including eggs, will be expensive also.

Have lots of weeding to do, and some planting, and then wait for two more shipments of plants. Will get my greenhouse up as I have ordered packets of seeds as well.

I love spring! So full of promise and new beginnings.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 07:05 pm
sue, bread is quite expensive - over four dollars per loaf for most brands here in California. Checking out ConsumerSearch for bread machines...
http://www.consumersearch.com/www/kitchen/bread-machines/index.html?source=adwords&refcd=GO013325s_bread_makers&tsacr=GO381159262&gclid=CNqDqLaukJICFQFfxgodICM-_w

Three days rain, and today hail. Supposed to clear by Sunday, and i'll be outside the weeds missed last week when the weather was mild. Spring cleaning just about done. Just a few more items for donations, and some i found that are worth saving. Have a stereo that's ancient but found that the receiver can be repaired! Happy bout that.

Looking for a small cabinet for housing building items, nuts n' bolts, and other misc stuff - and for the auto/truck manuals, a book cabinet - hurray for organization! Soon as the weather permits the garage gets a new coat of paint also.

Luv Spring
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 05:34 am
Yes, organization makes one feel really good. Not to mention the instant accessibility it affords. Throwing out, giving away, putting away. Did a lot of that before I moved, and still eyeing things carefully.

I have a bread machine, with recipe book. Will have to get going on that.

Another inch of rain - the weeds really took off and are in bloom so they must get out. I have lots of native annual lamiums blowing in on the wind. Rather not have them reseed. Even mowed the lawn to get rid of the flower heads. Will rototill, or use as mulch, everything but grass and perennial weeds with tap roots. Now I have three more large tubs of water to protect against evaporation because nothing needs it now. Got an inch of rain.

Today is a weeding day for sure. Then mulching with chopped up leaves and such.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 11:25 am
sue, sounds like your garden will be absolutely wonderful when the weather warms - new seed, veggies, plus a hot house - and rain! The growth gods are smiling. Smile

Today, the suns shining and i'm gonna tackle the lawns {if i can find the bolt that fell out of the mower last outing Confused } Then odds and ends cleaning at the shed - pots n' mulch n' seed n' garden tools. An antique rod iron umbrella stand holds the leaf/lawn rakes = saves wall space.

Wildflowers have bloomed near where the shed lives, and new cymbidium stalks sprouting also. Mr Silver Birch rallied last summer, and i believe all the beetles relocated - hurray! Lovely new growth!

The landscapings dressing for summer Smile

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 12:55 pm
Your garden work sounds grand, sumac.

Something to dream about here - the backyard is still under about 3 feet of snow - even after 2 days of melt.

Clicked.

You and your 300 friends have supported 2,873,131.6 square feet!

http://parenting.leehansen.com/downloads/clipart/stpatrick/images/pot-o-shamrocks.gif

http://mathforum.org/midpow/POW/shamrock.pascal.gif
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 09:18 pm
Lots of pics - but, only two shamrocks.
Quick backcheck - there are three including the intro "How many Shamrocks are there?"

My goodness, it's actually still winter - but, flowers are blooming and trees are leafing - things are still alive from last Fall, like insects and lizards and mice and all the creatures that Winter should keep in check, but, doesn't anymore.

sumac, I bet your garden is the grandest of all.

Happy week to come folks.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 05:09 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOqxSaW05p4

Watch to the very end.
0 Replies