meaning of 'antihistamines'

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 08:40 pm
Could someone please explain to me the meaning of the word "antihistamines"? I've referred to dictionaries, but am still not clear about its meaning. This word is often used in relation to cold, which is caused by histamines.

Many thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 547 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 10:05 pm
Antihistamines are chemical substances such as over-the-counter medicines that help suppress allergic or common cold symptoms. Histamine is in dictionary as well.

"a chemical in the body which is released after an injury or during an allergic reaction."

So if you had received a bee-sting, a mild anti-histamine would help suppress the swelling that ordinarily would form. A strong anti-histamine might allow you to breathe more freely as your immune system tries to react to the allergen.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 01:23 am
Thanks, Ragman.

So, if I've a severe cold, histamine is released in my body. Why is the reason for the presence of the histamine? Does it try to get rid of my cold condition or its presence worsens my cold so that an antihistamine will suppress the histamine to help me recover from my cold.

Do I get your correctly?

Many thanks.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 09:14 am
I'm out of my depth to answer as I'm not a physician. Perhaps you can find your answer to that question by Google-ing the phrase 'immune system reaction to allergen' or `histamine reaction to allergen' or the like. Good luck.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 09:25 am
Quote:

Many people use antihistimines for the sneezing related to hay fever and other allergies. It is also used for skin problems caused by allergies, such as exposure to poison ivy.

Quote:
Histamine is the chemical (neuro-transmitter) your body produces when you're having an allergic reaction. Although there is always some histamine in your body, a mosquito bite (for example), causes your body to release more histamine in the area of the bite, making your skin red and itchy. In extreme cases, histamine levels in someone who is allergic to a bee sting or a particular food like strawberries can be elevated so high that it causes anaphylactic shock and possibly death. Adrenaline (Epinephrine) is the only chemical that can quickly eliminate histamine in a person. So called "antihistamines" like Benadryl only work to block some of your body's histamine receptors (relieving some histamine related symptoms), they do not remove histamine.

http://www.goldbaum.net/balance/Whats_Histamine.html
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 11:21 am
Thanks, Ragman.
Thanks, Phoenix, for the link.
0 Replies