word for drivers of cars, lorries, etc

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 10:40 am
A motorist is someone who drives a car. What is the word used for drivers of cars, lorries, vans and pick-ups?

Many thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 648 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 11:01 am
A chauffeur is someone who is employed to drive another. You would use that word when you speak of a rich person who has his limousine driven for him.

Colloquially, one often hears of mothers "chauffeuring" their children from one place to another. In the US a person who drives a taxicab for a living is called simply, a taxi driver. Someone who drives a truck for a living is a truck driver.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 11:03 am
And pickup drivers are called "rednecks" Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 11:07 am
Folks who drive large trucks are sometimes called "teamsters" from the days when wagons were pulled by teams of horses.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 11:09 am
Rockhead- Don't confuse Yoong Liat-

Yoong Liat- In the US a "redneck" is a term used to describe:

Quote:
Used as a disparaging term for a member of the white rural laboring class, especially in the southern United States.
A white person regarded as having a provincial, conservative, often bigoted attitude.

Rednecks are known for being very emotionally connected to their trucks. There are some who think that the term refers to the fact that in the southern US, the sun is very strong. People who labor out in the sun have "red necks".
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 11:10 am
If I want to say "Drivers of cars, lorries, pick-ups, etc should drive while under influence, what word should I use to describe all such drivers.

Many thanks.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 11:11 am
In the United States, of course, the word lorry is not used. Large, over-the-road transports (a locution which has the precise meaning of trucks which transport goods, although it is more commonly used in Canada than the United States) are often referred to as "semis," and the word truck is used to describe a wide variety of two- to four-axle vehicles, used both privately and commercial, which are not "semis." The term semi comes from semi tractor-trailer. This refers to a large over-the-road transport which is comprised of a tractor (that portion with two axles, including the motor, the driver's cab and the steering system, with a trailer hitch and connections to operate the braking system of the trailer), and a trailer, which has two or more axles, and in which commercial goods are laded for transport. The semi system of transport allows the driver to attach a trailer which has already been loaded, transport it to its destination, and un-hitch the trailer, leaving it at the destination to be unloaded. Drivers of these transports (usually simply called truck drivers) are almost never involved in loading the trailer, and are usually only involved in unloading the merchandise in the trailer if they are delivering mixed goods to several destinations. In that case they still hope someone else will unload it, although they are known to be willing (usually with a good deal of complaining and as little effort as possible) to help unload the goods intended for a particular destination.

The term motorist is not often used in the United States. Driver is the term, plain and simple, which is most commonly used, with qualifiers such as truck driver or taxi driver, as Phoenix has already noted. Hack driver is sometimes used for taxi drivers, as well, but that is becoming less common.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 11:12 am
I would say that no one should operate a motor vehicle while "under the influence".
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 11:14 am
Indeed, Liat.

Over the road Semi truck drivers (US) refer to each other on the CB radio as "driver" (unless they are angry, at which time it gets much more colorful...

RH
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 11:14 am
Yoong Liat wrote:
If I want to say "Drivers of cars, lorries, pick-ups, etc should drive while under influence, what word should I use to describe all such drivers.

Many thanks.

If you are speaking to an American, just use the word driver. No American would misunderstand your meaning--although, of course, i suspect you mean that drivers should not drive while under the influence.

So: Drivers should not drive while under the influence.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 11:16 am
Thanks, Setanta, for the answer and the correction.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 11:35 am
Thanks to all who have replied to my query.

Best wishes.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 11:42 am
http://www.ballwin.mo.us/ballwin_images/madd_sign0805a.jpg

"Don't Drink and Drive" is a very popular slogan in the U.S.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 11:49 am
Thanks, Phoenix.
0 Replies