correct word that should be used

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 10:26 am
He had a rare illness whereby some of her internal organs were not in their normal positions.

I believe the word 'whereby' is not correctly used. Could someone please tell me what it should be?

Many thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 470 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 10:46 am
I'd write: "He had a congenital condition in which..."

"Illness" means something has gone wrong.

"Condition" means something was wrong from the get-go.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 10:48 am
And as a nitpick, the gender of your pronouns does not match.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 10:53 am
DrewDad wrote:
And as a nitpick, the gender of your pronouns does not match.

Thanks for pointing out the gender mistake.

Noddy has already provided me with the answer.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 11:02 am
Whereby is correctly used. Most modern speakers of English might not use that word, but it is not incorrectly used, and any reasonably well-educated speaker of English will understand it.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 11:07 am
Setanta wrote:
Whereby is correctly used. Most modern speakers of English might not use that word, but it is not incorrectly used, and any reasonably well-educated speaker of English will understand it.

He had a rare illness whereby some of her internal organs were not in their normal positions.
What about 'illness'. I believe Noddy is correct in saying that it should be 'conditon': congenital condition
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 11:10 am
http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1T4IBMA_en___US219&defl=en&q=define:illness&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title

Quote:
Definitions of illness on the Web:

impairment of normal physiological function affecting part or all of an organism
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Illness (sometimes referred to as ill-health) can be defined as a state of poor health.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illness

epilepsy is a condition, not an illness.
www.epilepsy.org.uk/press/facts.html

Sickness or disease for which no treatment or expense has been incurred for the six (6) month period immediately preceding the effective date of coverage of the insured person whose illness is the basis of the claim.
hartshorn.colostate.edu/index.cfm

An occupational disease is defined as a condition produced in the work environment over a period longer than one workday or shift. Usually an illness is due to repetitive factors over a period of time. ...
www.bls.gov/iif/oshcfdef.htm

A problem in which some part or parts of the body do not function normally, in a way that interferes with a person's life. For the purpose of this module, other terms considered to be synonyms for illness include disease, disorder, condition, and syndrome.
science.education.nih.gov/supplements/nih5/mental/other/glossary.htm

I'd say either word would work.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 11:14 am
DrewDad wrote:
http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1T4IBMA_en___US219&defl=en&q=define:illness&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title

Quote:
Definitions of illness on the Web:

impairment of normal physiological function affecting part or all of an organism
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Illness (sometimes referred to as ill-health) can be defined as a state of poor health.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illness

epilepsy is a condition, not an illness.
www.epilepsy.org.uk/press/facts.html

Sickness or disease for which no treatment or expense has been incurred for the six (6) month period immediately preceding the effective date of coverage of the insured person whose illness is the basis of the claim.
hartshorn.colostate.edu/index.cfm

An occupational disease is defined as a condition produced in the work environment over a period longer than one workday or shift. Usually an illness is due to repetitive factors over a period of time. ...
www.bls.gov/iif/oshcfdef.htm

A problem in which some part or parts of the body do not function normally, in a way that interferes with a person's life. For the purpose of this module, other terms considered to be synonyms for illness include disease, disorder, condition, and syndrome.
science.education.nih.gov/supplements/nih5/mental/other/glossary.htm

So, to you, it is either 'congenital illness' or 'congenital condition. Did I get your correctly?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 11:19 am
Yoong Liat wrote:
Setanta wrote:

What about 'illness'. I believe Noddy is correct in saying that it should be 'conditon': congenital condition

Your original post only highlighted "whereby," and it was to that which i responded. DD had adequately responded to that question.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 11:26 am
Noddy24 wrote:
I'd write: "He had a congenital condition in which..."

"Illness" means something has gone wrong.

"Condition" means something was wrong from the get-go.

Hi Noddy

Can I say that he suffers from a rare congenital conditon? Or is 'rare' redundant?

Many thanks.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 11:30 am
Yoong Liat wrote:
Drewdad wrote:

So, to you, it is either 'congenital illness' or 'congenital condition. Did I get your correctly?

Yes.

"Condition" is probably more specific; it indicates a more long-standing problem.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 03:14 pm
Nearsightedness is a common congenital condition. Other conditions are much more rare--and inconvenient.
0 Replies