Ann Boleyn - Witch or Pawn?

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 04:22 pm
I am interested in knowing whether Ann was used as a pawn by her powerful family and Cromwell to demolish the power of the Roman Catholic Church in England and replace it with the Church of England?

I'm a bit skeptical about her influence upon Henry VIII. Certainly, she had some, but enough to overthrow the Roman Catholic church? Did the powers-that-were push the relationship between Ann and Henry, fully knowing that it would result in his divorcing Katherine, cause the breakup of the Church as well as the Act of Supremacy?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,401 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 04:35 pm
Henry was considerably younger than Catherine (spelled with a "C" darlin', not a "K"), and had already reached the conclusion that he would need to divorce her if he were to get a male heir. He began secret negotiations with the Pope to this end in 1527. He did not marry Anne Boleyn until they were joined in a private ceremony in 1532--they were publicly married in 1533. While some people have speculated that Henry wanted to divorce Catherine in order to marry Anne, one needs to examine his motive for marrying Anne, or anybody else--which was to provide a male heir for the Tudors. The first Tudor King was Henry VII, the father of Henry VIII. Henry Tudor VII had married Elizabeth of York, and had married his daughter Margaret to King James IV of Scotland, and had married his oldest son Arthur, the Prince of Wales, to Catherine of Aragon--and all of these were diplomatic moves to solidify the position of a fledgling dynasty which had been founded in battle.

Marrying Elizabeth of York had unified the two sides of the Wars of the Roses, Lancaster (which Henry Tudor represented) and York. Marrying his daughter to James IV of Scotland served to remove or at least reduce a threat from the north--and Scotland was then and long had been an ally of France, with whom the English had only recently concluded the Hundred Years War. Marrying his son Arthur to Catherine of Arragon united his house to that of the most powerful monarchy in Europe--Spain.

Henry VIII was no less concerned with the establishment and preservation of the Tudor dynasty. If it had not been Anne Boleyn, it would have been someone else.

To refer to Anne as a "witch" is disgusting, and the more so as one assumes you are yourself a woman.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 05:34 pm
Dagmaraka is on her way to Europe right now, but when she gets there and checks in, she'll likely have a thing or two to say about this subject. I'll just wait here quietly until then.....
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 05:42 pm
Bathseba, if you want a really good insight into Henry and his court, I suggest your read Antionia Fraser's book "The Wives of Henry the VIII". It's an excellent overview of each wife and the motives behind Henry's actions.

If you want just a fun read about the time period, try Philipia Gregory's series of novels about the Tudors.

In the big picture, Anne, as an individual, had little to do with Henry's break with the church. I doubt anyone thought to even ask her opinion. It was all about Henry's obsession with power, the lure of sucking up the church's wealth and Henry's dislike at being told what he could or couldn't do in order to establish his dynasty.

Sorry to say, it was easier to have a woman killed than get a divorce at the time. I always thought the greatest injustice comes from the fact that it is the male contribution that determines the sex of a child. Anne gave birth to a girl because Henry did not do his part. If they knew then what we know now, perhaps Henry would have been the one on the chopping block.
0 Replies

bathsheba

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 07:11 pm
Setanta wrote:
Henry was considerably younger than Catherine (spelled with a "C" darlin', not a "K"),

Thanks, darlin'! It is also spelled with a 'K' according to bbc.uk website. They ought to know. English has Anglo/Saxon roots and Katherine is spelled with a K in Germany. That's all beside the point, anyway....

and had already reached the conclusion that he would need to divorce her if he were to get a male heir. He began secret negotiations with the Pope to this end in 1527. He did not marry Anne Boleyn until they were joined in a private ceremony in 1532--they were publicly married in 1533. While some people have speculated that Henry wanted to divorce Catherine in order to marry Anne, one needs to examine his motive for marrying Anne, or anybody else--which was to provide a male heir for the Tudors.

Certainly he wanted an heir. But Ann was an intelligent woman and well versed in theology. Who put the bug in Henry's ear that his marriage to Catherine/Katherine was sinful because she was his brother's wife? He had been married to Catherine/Katherine for about 20 years when he met Ann. Ann was also a Protestant, not a Catholic. She also refused to be his mistress for six years; she was holding out for marriage and being crowned Queen. Of course the powers at that time had full knowledge that this marriage would cause a major upheaval between Protestant/Catholic. So yes, an heir was equally important, but so was making the Church of England the state religion - which it still is.

The first Tudor King was Henry VII, the father of Henry VIII. Henry Tudor VII had married Elizabeth of York, and had married his daughter Margaret to King James IV of Scotland, and had married his oldest son Arthur, the Prince of Wales, to Catherine of Aragon--and all of these were diplomatic moves to solidify the position of a fledgling dynasty which had been founded in battle.

Agree.

Marrying Elizabeth of York had unified the two sides of the Wars of the Roses, Lancaster (which Henry Tudor represented) and York. Marrying his daughter to James IV of Scotland served to remove or at least reduce a threat from the north--and Scotland was then and long had been an ally of France, with whom the English had only recently concluded the Hundred Years War. Marrying his son Arthur to Catherine of Arragon united his house to that of the most powerful monarchy in Europe--Spain.

Henry VIII was no less concerned with the establishment and preservation of the Tudor dynasty. If it had not been Anne Boleyn, it would have been someone else.

Yes, he wanted to see a continuation of the Tudor dynasty, and he also, by marrying Ann, created the Act of Succession which established the king as the supreme head, by renouncing papal authority.

You don't think that this might have been a motive for divorcing C of Aragon as well?

To refer to Anne as a "witch" is disgusting, and the more so as one assumes you are yourself a woman.

Touchy touchy, Setanta! My reference to Ann as a witch was not meant to be 'disgusting' as you assume. I'm not unfamiliar with Wicca, nor does it disgust me as it seems to disgust you. My reference is from articles -here's one here from

www.bbb.co.uk/history/british/tudors/anne_boleyn_04.shtml -

Sorcery

The Tower of London where Anne Boleyn was executed At Anne's trial, presided over by her uncle, the Duke of Norfolk, she was accused of acting the 'libertine' before her marriage to Henry. So many factors worked against the Queen, reinforcing the view that she was a disciple of Satan who had 'bewitched' Henry with sorcery. Anne's minor physical defects, namely an extra digit on her hand and a prominent neck mole added to the belief that she was a 'she-devil'. Above all, her inability to produce a healthy male heir condemned her further. Despite inaccuracies relating to dates when Anne was supposed to have conducted her affairs, the belief that as a witch she could materialise in any place at any time invalidated any such evidence from being used in her defence.
SOURCE
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 07:29 pm
The thought that someone would be characterized as a witch is disgusting to me, as is the character of the tissue of lies with which Boleyn was condemned. As for "Wicca," i consider it a rather pathetic joke.

Catherine of Aragon, at Tudor History-dot-com

Catherine of Aragon at Wikipedia

Catherine of Aragon at Luminarium-dot-org

Catherine of Aragon at BBC-dot-co-dot-UK

It is absurd to describe Anne Boleyn as a Protestant, and absurd to suggest that she was responsible for Henry's decision to seek an annulment of his marriage to Catherine. You might make a flimsy case that she suggested to him a grounds for requesting the annulment--but it would be thin indeed.

If you know so much about the subject, why did you come here to ask anyone about it?
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 07:54 pm
Re: Ann Boleyn - Witch or Pawn?
bathsheba wrote:
I am interested in knowing whether Ann was used as a pawn by her powerful family and Cromwell to demolish the power of the Roman Catholic Church in England and replace it with the Church of England?

I wouldn't go this far. At heart Henry VIII was a Catholic. His Reformation didn't do much apart from replacing a pope in Rome with a pope in London, i.e., Henry VIII. This is what the Act of Supremacy was all about. Henry had no real desire to replace Catholic doctrine or liturgy with anything Protestant.

If you want to talk about pawns, you'd have to consider Edward VI. He was his Seymour family's pawn when it came to religious matters. Even a well-educated teenager likely wouldn't have had intellect enough to truly understand the complex religious matters of Edward's day. I seriously doubt that Edward's decisions on religions matters were his and his alone. Furthermore, I doubt that the Seymours' Protestantism was all that genuine. They likely saw a weakened church in Rome and thought they could augment their power by weakening that church further.

If Henry VIII had been truly a Protestant at heart, he would have seen to it that Bloody Mary either had a Protestant upbringing or was barred from inheriting the throne if she remained Catholic. Instead Henry VIII died leaving the religious issue very much up in the air.

Quote:
I'm a bit skeptical about her influence upon Henry VIII.

I gather that Anne was just a pretty face with lax morals who was intent on playing a dangerous game when she didn't understand all of the rules.

Quote:
Did the powers-that-were push the relationship between Ann and Henry, fully knowing that it would result in his divorcing Katherine, cause the breakup of the Church as well as the Act of Supremacy?

Perhaps, but I don't see why they would have chosen Anne as opposed to any one of the numerous other women Henry had already been sleeping with- including Anne's older sister.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 08:11 pm
Green Witch wrote:
Bathseba, if you want a really good insight into Henry and his court,

Lust was something that certainly wasn't foreign to Henry VIII and he had several children via several of his mistresses. If any of these illegitimate children had been a male, why didn't Henry simply divorce his wife du jour and marry the mistress who had the proven track record, thereby making the illegitimate son a legal heir? Did it not ever occur to Henry to combine business with pleasure, so to speak?

Quote:
I suggest your read Antionia Fraser's book "The Wives of Henry the VIII". It's an excellent overview of each wife and the motives behind Henry's actions.

I don't want to waylay this thread, so you can answer this in another thread if you want:

Several years ago I read Fraser's bio of Mary, Queen of Scots. I got the distinct impression that Fraser (a Scot) had a very low opinion of Elizabeth I and most things English in general. Did you detect any of this in her Henry VIII book?

Quote:
If you want just a fun read about the time period, try Philipia Gregory's series of novels about the Tudors.

Back in the early 1970s British TV did a series on Henry's wives. Is anyone familiar with this series? How close did it come to reality?

Quote:
I always thought the greatest injustice comes from the fact that it is the male contribution that determines the sex of a child. Anne gave birth to a girl because Henry did not do his part. If they knew then what we know now, perhaps Henry would have been the one on the chopping block.

Has anyone ever determined the male to female ratio for all of Henry's offspring? How often did he produce sons that were either stillborn or died young? How often did he produce sons with his mistresses and concubines? Henry VIII could produce sons, so there was not problem with his sperm. Each conception event is a random event in that chromosomes are assigned to gametes at random and then a random male gamete fertilizes the female's egg.
The distribution of chromosomes to one gamete doesn't affect the distribution to any other gamete and the fertilization of one egg doesn't influence the fertilization of any other egg.
0 Replies

bathsheba

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 08:14 pm
'Witches' or old crones were/are a fact of life. They were/are responsible for the knowledge of medicinal herbs. The image of a stooped over crone with warts, a pointed hat and a flying broom is very Hollywood but not based on fact.

It was MEN who characterized them as evil witches and had them burned at the stake. Your disregard of Wicca is misogynist because most of the burnings were women.

ANYWAY. This thread isn't about witches.

www.elizabethan-era.org.uk/anne-boleyn.htm ~~~~~~~~~

Lots of info there about Anne's influence with Henry. You bet she advised him regarding religion. To suggest otherwise is to denigrate women's influence during this period of time.

Thank you for your references. They apply to Catherine, not Ann.

Ann- a Protestant, or? Source: www.geocities.com/boleynfamily/anne/reform.html
_____

It is also important to remember what Anne was not. She was certainly not a full-blown Protestant; very few in England were at this stage. When Tristram Revell, for instance, tried to dedicate his translation of a work denying transubstantiation to her, she rejected the request.6 On the other hand, she did help Richard Tracy, whose father's will seemed to question prayers for the dead. Similarly, there is a strong emphasis on faith in the texts which she focussed on; interestingly, her French Bible had on the back cover of the second volume of her text: "La loi a été donnée par Moses: La grâce et la vérité par Jésus Christ", with (at a push) possible emphasis on the idea of justification by faith and at the least a focus on the power of the Word which was the hallmark of an evangelical. Indirectly, she went a long way towards shaping the later Reformation - Cranmer, for example, was extremely important to the Reformation and started out as a Boleyn protégé; Cromwell was also a Boleyn ally, as evidenced by the working relationship between the two; and of course the long reign of her daughter Elizabeth ultimately ensured that the English state became an essentially Protestant one. Source
_____

Why do you suggest that it is absurd to suggest that Ann would be responsible for annulling Henry's marriage? She kept up her dance with Henry for six years; not becoming his mistress and driving him mad with desire for her.

I believe that women in the past had just as much influence over politics as they do now (the power behind the throne). Based upon what I am discovering, I think Ann was used as a pawn so Henry could achieve absolute power as head of state religion, which he could not do while married to C/Katherine. When that was achieved, the powers (Thomas Cromwell, for one) perhaps had no use for Ann any longer; she could not conceive a male heir - she was beheaded.

I introduced this thread to explore the idea that Ann was used by powerful men to delibrately create a break in papal power.

I think people can disagree without being disagreeable. :wink:
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 08:21 pm
Herr Flaja never disappoints. Again, he demonstrates his ignorance and his lack of clues.

Green Witch referred to Bathsheba, because that is the screen name of the member who started this thread, and GW was addressing her directly--not because she was attempting to allege a parallel between Bathsheba and Anne Boleyn. These things work out better if you pay attention.

Antonia Fraser is not of Scots descent. She is the daughter of the Seventh Earl of Longford, and her maiden name was Packenham. She is a graduate of Oxford University. She is world-renowned as a biographer, and her biographical subjects, in addition to Mary Queen of Scots, include Oliver Cromwell, Charles Stuart II, the wives of Henry VIII, and James VI and I--just to name those figures from English history which attracted her scholarly attention. The contention that she is a Scot, and has "a very low opinion of Elizabeth I and most things English in general" just further demonstrates (unnecessarily) how little you know about history, biography, historians, biographers--in fact, how little you know in general. I hope that McTag doesn't show up, because he is a big fan of Antonia Fraser, and will likely rake you over the coals.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 08:42 pm
bathsheba wrote:
It is also spelled with a 'K' according to bbc.uk website. They ought to know. English has Anglo/Saxon roots and Katherine is spelled with a K in Germany. That's all beside the point, anyway.... [/color]

But Anglo-Saxon/English is a Germanic Language, while Catherine of Aragon was Spanish and Spanish is a Romance Language, i.e., it has Latin roots.

Quote:
Certainly he wanted an heir. But Ann was an intelligent woman and well versed in theology. Who put the bug in Henry's ear that his marriage to Catherine/Katherine was sinful because she was his brother's wife?

Marrying a dead brother's wife when the brother had no children was customary for the Hebrews under Mosaic Law. It was a means to insure the legal continuity of the brother's lineage. It could be said that Henry and Catherine had a Levirite Marriage.

And if marrying a dead brother's widow was sinful even though it was highly debatable that that marriage had been consummated, wasn't fornication, i.e., sex outside of marriage not equally sinful? My understanding is that Anne was already pregnant before Henry's divorce was finalized or Anne's own marriage to Henry was performed.

Quote:
Ann was also a Protestant, not a Catholic.

Hadn't Anne lived much of her life in Catholic France? How Protestant could she have been?

Quote:
She also refused to be his mistress for six years; she was holding out for marriage and being crowned Queen.

But wasn't she pregnant by the time she was crowned queen? Apparently her morals didn't go far enough.

Quote:
So yes, an heir was equally important, but so was making the Church of England the state religion - which it still is.[/color]

Properly speaking the Church of England wasn't really in place until the reign of Elizabeth I. English was not the legally mandated language for church services until the Act of Uniformity was passed in 1549, the same year that the Anglican Book of Common Prayer was published- and this was 2 years after Henry VIII had died. Anglican doctrine was not formally put forth until the Thirty-nine Articles of Religion were issued in 1563 during the reign of Elizabeth I.
0 Replies

CharlieZ

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 08:51 am
Well, my Nana want to an English Church, but I'm not positive on whether or not its the Church Of England, she was born there, but I don't usually go to Church, because I am deaf, and I haven't got any hearing aid yet.

Charlie
0 Replies

Doowop

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 04:15 pm
This programme was pretty good. David Starkey is a bit fanatical about Royal history, and I don't have much doubt that he knows his stuff although he does like the dramatic approach.

Part 1

Part 2

And yes, I've always known Catherine to be spelt with a C, when referring to Henry's first wife.
0 Replies