A missprint?

fansy

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 05:54 am
Of course, the spies' new assessment may be wrong, as their previous ones proved to be. But it is most unlikely to be a tissue of lies.

Is it an issue of lies?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 528 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 06:16 am
No -tissue of lies is correct. It is a phrase that means thin veneer.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 06:48 am
and misprint is spelt this way.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 06:53 am
Probably since the women of the "new" Stone Age started weaving, both reality and stories about reality have been compared to cloth.

"Tissue" is a very thin, delicate fabric that must be handled very carefully or it will tear. A "tissue of lies" is a story with so many flaws that it won't accept careful examination.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 07:37 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Probably since the women of the "new" Stone Age started weaving, both reality and stories about reality have been compared to cloth.

"Tissue" is a very thin, delicate fabric that must be handled very carefully or it will tear. A "tissue of lies" is a story with so many flaws that it won't accept careful examination.

Nice one, Nodders! I like that. You spin a fine yarn. Smile
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 07:54 am
McTag--

You're a charmer, a devastating charmer.
0 Replies

syntinen

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 07:27 am
Quote:
"Tissue" is a very thin, delicate fabric that must be handled very carefully or it will tear.

Not necessarily. The French verb tisser, means "to weave", so "tissue" literally just means "woven material". You can have silver or gold tissue, for example, which are strong and quite heavy, being metallic.

Quote:
A "tissue of lies" is a story with so many flaws that it won't accept careful examination.

No. Conformable with the etymology of the word, a "tissue of lies" is a story woven out of lies, just as silver tissue is woven out of silver. It may be very skilfully woven, and be able to stand up to quite close examination without the falsehood being detected.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 07:44 am
Looks like I'm not the only pedant on these threads.

I prefer Noddy's explanation, anyway.

My heavy dictionary says (second meaning): "Now applied to various or fine stuffs of delicate or gauzy texture (1740)"

and (fourth meaning) "something likened to a woven fabric: a 'fabric', 'network', 'web' (of things abstract, usu. of a bad kind, as absurdities, lies, etc) (1711)

So Noddy has been right for something like 300 years. Good going, girl! Smile
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 02:49 pm
McTag--

You and I reason in English and lack Gallic salt.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 02:28 pm
syntinen wrote:
Quote:
"Tissue" is a very thin, delicate fabric that must be handled very carefully or it will tear.

Not necessarily. The French verb tisser, means "to weave", so "tissue" literally just means "woven material". You can have silver or gold tissue, for example, which are strong and quite heavy, being metallic.

The etymology of a word only describes its kin, Syntinen. All languages borrow words, but the meaning doesn't necessarily have to follow.
0 Replies