or/and

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 04:39 am
Jimmy, you cannot tell mom [and/or] dad about the secret. I'll be grounded for life.

I believe 'or' is the correct word to use.

Many thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 436 • Replies: 5
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 05:08 am
Interestingly it has become popular to use both as you have done. Whilst this is probably incorect grammer it is acceptable in my opinion.

I really don't see much difference in the meaning and/or usage of the sentence.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 10:20 am
I don't know if DP's message got through to you, but many English speakers would now use "and/or." However, i doubt if it would be used in a sentences such as the one you post.

In your sentence, it does not matter whether you use "and" or "or." Either one is acceptable, and either one would commonly be used by a native speaker of English.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 11:48 am
Setanta wrote:
I don't know if DP's message got through to you, but many English speakers would now use "and/or." However, i doubt if it would be used in a sentences such as the one you post.

In your sentence, it does not matter whether you use "and" or "or." Either one is acceptable, and either one would commonly be used by a native speaker of English.

I thought after a negative verb, in this case 'cannot tell', 'or' and not 'and' should be used. For example, 'No drinking or smoking on these premises.'
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 12:34 pm
You can say:

Don't tell mom or dad.

and:

Don't tell mom and dad.

Most of us wouldn't say:

Don't tell mom and/or dad.

We would choose one of the words "and" or "or" and leave it at that. They mean the same thing in that context.

However, as said earlier, "and/or" is often used, such as:

I'm going to get Tom a gift for his birthday. I was thinking of buying a sweater and/or a jacket.

The and/or here implies you are buying one gift and perhaps two (depending on what's available and/or the price, perhaps).
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 12:41 pm
Thanks, Mame.
0 Replies