Why Does U.S. No Longer Set A Good Example?

chaiyah

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 07:27 am
Amnesty Int'l Condemns the Precedents Being Set by the US 'War on
Terror'

"The US has displayed a troubling tendency to seek unchallengeable
executive power for itself in the context of its 'war on terror'. It has
created a parallel justice system in which the executive has the power
to detain, interrogate, charge or try suspects under the 'laws of war',
Amnesty International said as it published a new report today.

'All too often where the US leads others follow - increasingly by using the
language of 'war', governments have disregarded human rights obligations; by using the term 'terror' they have endeavoured to avoid
international human rights law; and by using the phrase 'war on terror',
they have challenged the very framework of human rights and international humanitarian law.'"

http://news.amnesty.org/mavp/news.nsf/VwDocid/BD86E07EDCA4416280256D8700378F53?openDocument
Sad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 832 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 07:31 am
The stars and stripes is supposed to be a symbol of freedom. George Bush has turned it into a butchers apron.
0 Replies

chaiyah

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 07:55 am
SO?
This is OUR country. What are we going to DO ABOUT IT?

Embarrassed
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 09:01 am
Don't know, chaiyah. There is an election coming up, and I doubt the Republican has the wit or fortitude to develope any candidate but Bush, and I don't think he can win this time.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 09:06 am
roger wrote:
Don't know, chaiyah. There is an election coming up, and I doubt the Republican has the wit or fortitude to develope any candidate but Bush, and I don't think he can win this time.

And the world will celebrate.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 09:18 am
Re: Why Does U.S. No Longer Set A Good Example?
chaiyah wrote:
All too often where the US leads others follow

The best example of such being the UK, as our governments have agreed wholeheartedly with nearly all US foreign policy since WW2. Maybe the UK would improve its "world standing" if we stopped pretending we aren't part of Europe. As for the US, <sigh>, who knows what the answer is?
0 Replies

chaiyah

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 09:41 am
New Election?
...I honestly and sincerely believe, we'll never make it to another election, with all this terror, lies, tricks, deceptions and bankrupcty in our faces.
...Either all-out war, all-out bankrupcty, or a cometary hit--but there's no way to just keep things going the way they are. It's too far gone.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 10:06 am
No, there will be an election. I can even predict that I'm not going to like the result, no matter what it be.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 10:25 am
chaiyah
No there is no Santa Claus and yes there will be another election and another and another. This nation is built on a foundation that is a lot stronger than it would appear that you believe. One Idiot president will not shake that foundation.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 11:16 am
I'm with you, rog ... I ain't been real happy since Goldwater got beat.
Oh, and hi, Chaiya. See you finally found everybody ... hope you're gettin around OK here at A2k. If ya like, just click on the color-formatted links down at the bottom of my posts for some useful info on how stuff works around this place. Enjoy.
0 Replies