IMMIGRATION RED-HOT CAMPAIGN ISSUE

ebrown p

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 05:02 pm
Advocate wrote:
This is for those who are not PC.

A Mexican, an Arab, and a redneck girl are in the same bar.

When the Mexican finishes his beer, he throws his glass in the air,pulls out his pistol, and shoots the glass to pieces.He says, 'In Mexico, our glasses are so cheap we don't need to drink with the same one twice.'

The Arab,obviously impressed by this, drinks his beer,throws it into the air, pulls out his AK-47, and shoots the glass to pieces. He says, 'In the Arab World, we have so much sand to make glasses that we don't need to drink with the same one twice either.'

The redneck girl,cool as a cucumber, picks up her beer, downs it in one gulp, throws the glass into the air,whips out her 45, and shoots the Mexican and the Arab. Catching her glass, setting it on the bar, and calling for a refill, she says,

'In America we have so many illegal Mexicans and Arabs that we don't have to drink with the same ones twice.'

Funny joke.
0 Replies

nappyheadedhohoho

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 06:47 pm
Mexica wrote:
mysteryman, I'm not all that familiar with Mexico's laws concerning illegal immigration.
But it's doubtful that I'd support the US adopting immigration laws similar to those of Mexico.

I believe Mexico enforces their immigration laws at the end of a machine gun, so yes, you'd be right to doubt the US would adopt similar laws.

Try sending millions of Americans across the Mexican border and see what happens.

As for the article you posted, I believe the author is trying to deflect attention from a failed country, economy, and corrupt government that is Mexico. I don't really care what he thinks.

We need to build the fence faster.
0 Replies

hanno

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 07:45 pm
'Shake your hand, share the land
You know I'll be standing by
To help you if you worry.
No more sadness, no more sorrow, no more bad times
every day coming sunshine, everyday everybody laughing
walking together by the river, walking together and
laughing, everybody singing together, everybody singing and
laughing, good times good times, everybody walking by the
river now, walking singing talking smiling laughing loving
each other.' -The Guess Who

I'm pro-immigration, I mean, there may come a time when people don't jump fences to get here. The only problem I see is giving everyone everything upfront, and this applies to citizens as well - that is, are we running a country or a country-club? If we were doing for ourselves we'd be glad for the help and know what to do with it rather'n worry about an immigrant taking our place at the trough...

I don't mean to sell a proletariat subclass relative to citizenship, in the sense of keeping the goods for ourselves and exploiting others, but rather, like when I got out of college all I wanted was a chance to get used for something and get some experience. I'd like to see a situation whereby immigrants can earn citizenship, in the sense of societal franchise, as opposed to civil and military protection and free market access which should be for anyone who's with us, and do so efficiently...
0 Replies

nappyheadedhohoho

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 07:48 pm
I'm pro-immigration also.

Legal immigration.
0 Replies

hanno

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 08:21 pm
In that sense, I think we might be setting our standards too high. I mean, let 'em wander on over and sign up, then they can do right or get locked up or sent back.
0 Replies

Mexica

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 12:12 am
Try sending millions of Americans across the Mexican border and see what happens.
-nappyheadedhohoho

Been there, done that.
The U.S. managed to take half of Mexico's claimed territory with the aid of many guns.

As for the article you posted, I believe the author is trying to deflect attention from a failed country, economy, and corrupt government that is Mexico. I don't really care what he thinks.
-nappyheadedhohoho

Is that what you believe? Well, there are many people who believe that a man built an ark and manged to neatly deposit marsupials in Australia, Panda Bears in China. But that belief, much like your belief, does nothing to counter Philippe Legrain's arguments.

We need to build the fence faster.
-nappyheadedhohoho

I'm sure when they get it started, they'll find some willing "illeglas" to take the job. Smile
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 07:30 am
ebrown_p wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
Mexica,
Would you be OK with the US having the same laws, and enforcing those laws, concerning illegal immigrants that Mexico has?

I wouldn't mind having the same immigration laws as Ireland.

((we all got a silly little email with this idea about what .... 5 years ago. You anti-immigrant folks need some new material.)))

And so do you.
You love to characterize everyone that is opposed to ILLEGAL immigration as being opposed to immigration.
That couldnt be farther from the truth.

Since when is being opposed to those who break our laws equate to being opposed to those who follow our laws?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 08:28 am
We have already been over this MM, but I will spell it out once more real slow.

Being against breaking the law is a reasonable (and logically) consistent position to take-- as long as you apply it in all cases. I have already shown my disdain for those who oppose the war on drugs but want harsh enforcement of immigration laws; but it's the hypocrisy here that really bugs me.

To me, when you the consider the good to society of a compassionate immigration policy to American values; community, family, and understanding, harsh punishment is not a reasonable immigration policy.

But this is a value judgment, and if you think that harsh punishment as part of a strict enforcement policy is the best thing for our country and our society, I disagree with you, but I can disagree respectfully.

The problem is when anti-immigrant people take it much further than this argument over punishment versus compassion.

The exaggeration of crime rates, the racial stereotypes, the "invasion" rhetoric, the dehumanization, the attempts to punish people for speaking Spanish (a language that is spoken by millions of American citizens), the equation of landscapers with terrorists... all of these things go much deeper than a "law and order" argument.

I am pro-immigrant. This term fits me because I think that people who come here should be treated as human beings regardless of their status (assuming they don't murder and aren't terrorists).

If you are anti-illegal immigrant, then I am perfectly fine with the term.

But go talking about Mexicans bringing leprosy, or try to take away the right of American citizens to speak Spanish at work... and I am not going to buy it.

Yes, for some, it really is about breaking the law.

But for others, it is obvious, that "Illegal" is just an clever trick now that their racism isn't so popular.
0 Replies

Mexica

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 02:46 pm
ebrown_p wrote:

But for others, it is obvious, that "Illegal" is just an clever trick now that their racism isn't so popular.
I tend to agree.
However, I'm not sure just how clever it really is.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 09:47 am
ebrown_p wrote:
We have already been over this MM, but I will spell it out once more real slow.

Being against breaking the law is a reasonable (and logically) consistent position to take-- as long as you apply it in all cases. I have already shown my disdain for those who oppose the war on drugs but want harsh enforcement of immigration laws; but it's the hypocrisy here that really bugs me.

To me, when you the consider the good to society of a compassionate immigration policy to American values; community, family, and understanding, harsh punishment is not a reasonable immigration policy.

But this is a value judgment, and if you think that harsh punishment as part of a strict enforcement policy is the best thing for our country and our society, I disagree with you, but I can disagree respectfully.

The problem is when anti-immigrant people take it much further than this argument over punishment versus compassion.

The exaggeration of crime rates, the racial stereotypes, the "invasion" rhetoric, the dehumanization, the attempts to punish people for speaking Spanish (a language that is spoken by millions of American citizens), the equation of landscapers with terrorists... all of these things go much deeper than a "law and order" argument.

I am pro-immigrant. This term fits me because I think that people who come here should be treated as human beings regardless of their status (assuming they don't murder and aren't terrorists).

If you are anti-illegal immigrant, then I am perfectly fine with the term.

But go talking about Mexicans bringing leprosy, or try to take away the right of American citizens to speak Spanish at work... and I am not going to buy it.

I have always taken the position that ILLEGAL immigrants are breaking our laws and should be punished for that.
I have never said anything
Quote:
about Mexicans bringing leprosy, or try to take away the right of American citizens to speak Spanish at work

As for speaking Spanish at work, whats the big deal?
I speak some spanish, so as long as you can communicate and get the job done, I dont really care what language you speak.

You yourself have said that I have always been constant about the fact that its about the LAW, not racist on my part, or did you forget that?

But I have also been consistent about this, lets match our immigration laws to other countries.
If you come here ILLEGALLY from Mexico, you get judged by Mexican immigration law.
If you come here ILLEGALLY from England, you get judged by English immigration law.
And so on, using your home countries immigration law as the guide to judge you by, if you come here ILLEGALLY.

In my mind, nothing could be more fair then that.

Nowhere have I ever advocated
Quote:
The exaggeration of crime rates, the racial stereotypes, the "invasion" rhetoric, the dehumanization, the attempts to punish people for speaking Spanish (a language that is spoken by millions of American citizens), the equation of landscapers with terrorists

I am only advocating that those who break our laws not be rewarded by being allowed to stay in this country.
If anyone wants to immigrate to this country, they should either do so LEGALLY, or not do it at all.

That is all I have ever advocated.
And you yourself have said the same thing about me.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 10:16 am
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 10:20 am
Advocate wrote:
This is for those who are not PC.

A Mexican, an Arab, and a redneck girl are in the same bar.

When the Mexican finishes his beer, he throws his glass in the air,pulls out his pistol, and shoots the glass to pieces.He says, 'In Mexico, our glasses are so cheap we don't need to drink with the same one twice.'

The Arab,obviously impressed by this, drinks his beer,throws it into the air, pulls out his AK-47, and shoots the glass to pieces. He says, 'In the Arab World, we have so much sand to make glasses that we don't need to drink with the same one twice either.'

The redneck girl,cool as a cucumber, picks up her beer, downs it in one gulp, throws the glass into the air,whips out her 45, and shoots the Mexican and the Arab. Catching her glass, setting it on the bar, and calling for a refill, she says,

'In America we have so many illegal Mexicans and Arabs that we don't have to drink with the same ones twice.'

Hey Advocate. This joke is funny because it highlights what this "debate" is really about.
0 Replies