• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 379 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 09:29 am
Sentence one is correct.

Sentence two is not necessarily incorrect, although it is awfully damned awkward. To find someone or something is a reference to a discrete occurrence in time. Someone or something is either found or not found. Using the present participle in such a case sounds rather stupid. The present participle "finding" is usually used in an abstract sense to mean learning. For example: I'm finding it difficult to work with the team from World Sprockets and Widgets. In that case, the speaker suggests that he or she may not be able to work with the team from WSW, and is only now coming to the realization--but acknowledges that he or she may be wrong, and may yet be able to work with the team from WSW.

But for the simple, physical act of finding someone or something, one would almost always say: I found it, and not I am finding it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 09:31 am
Re: looking for / finding
Yoong Liat wrote:
I'm looking for my cat
I'm finding my cat.

Forgive me for being a little dense. If your question is whether or not "I'm finding my cat." is the same as "I'm looking for my cat," the answer is definitely no--"finding" would never be used to mean "looking for."
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 09:38 am
Couldn't have said it better myself.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 11:05 am
Thanks, everybody, for your reply.
0 Replies