Get yer polls, bets, numbers & pretty graphs! Elections 2008

fbaezer

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 03:44 pm
@nimh,
Received this feedback on the Onion stuff:

One category is missing: editorial directors who formerly made great speeches to nonsense ministers.
nimh

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 06:37 pm
@fbaezer,
Razz
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 10:38 am
Hey, Bill?

Remember how I told you someone was manipulating prices on Intrade? And you said that was a stupid theory, or somesuch?

http://www.cqpolitics.com/wmspage.cfm?docID=news-000002976265

Quote:
Trader Drove Up Price of McCain ‘Stock’ in Online Market
By Josh Rogin, CQ Staff

An internal investigation by the popular online market Intrade has revealed that an investor has been attempting to artificially boost the prediction that Sen. John McCain will become president.

Over the past several weeks, the investor has pushed hundreds of thousands of dollars into Intrade’s predictive market for the presidential election, the company said, resulting in great financial losses through a strategy that belies any financial motive.

“The trading that caused the unusual price movements and discrepancies was principally due to a single ‘institutional’ member on Intrade,” said the company’s chief executive, John Delaney, in a statement released Thursday. “We have been in contact with the firm on a number of occasions. I have spoken to those involved personally.”

Cycloptichorn
nimh

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 11:02 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Shocked

Well, there you go. (Dude!)
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 01:13 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Laughing The very next line after your quote is:
Quote:
After an extensive investigation into the suspicious trading patterns, Intrade found no wrongdoing or violation of its exchange rules, the company said.
Four paragraphs later:
Quote:
The company claims and experts confirm that the Intrade market is generally more accurate in predicting outcomes of major events than other leading indicators, such as polls.

Then, as I predicted:
Quote:
According to Intrade bulletin boards and market histories, soon after the mystery investor would act, smaller investors would sweep in to take advantage of what they saw as a price discrepancy " quickly returning the Obama and McCain futures prices back to their regular market value.

This resulted in huge losses for the investor, which users dubbed the “rogue trader,” and what amounted to effortless profits for the small investors who followed the patterns to take maximum advantage.

So you have a rich idiot who gave away a bunch of dough on stupid bets. So what? He could do the exact same thing with any penny stock in any market and there's no law against it... because the punishment is swift and automatic. The result is a giveaway of money and more astute investors will inevitably return the the price to its true equilibrium. Just as your story states in the quote above.

You and Nimh wanted to use the story to discredit Intrade as a predictive model; and your story does the opposite. It comes right out and confirms that the Intrade market is generally more accurate in predicting outcomes of major events than other leading indicators, such as polls.

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 01:21 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Not to mention that neither of you even tried to dispute Silverman's outright lie about the risks of betting on the float. His goal was obviously to use this anomaly as a tool to discredit a more accurate, competing model. You guys swallowed the obvious lie and continue to pretend it didn’t happen.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 02:16 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
!

T
K
O
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 02:23 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Bill, I didn't say that someone was breaking the Intrade terms, or that it was illegal. I said that someone was trying to manipulate the Obama and McCain prices on Intrade, and that's exactly what their investigation found.

C'mon, man. Don't make me go back and look at the exact wording of the posts. Ah, hell, I'll do it anyway. From your post:

Quote:

But unless there is some scheme to get others to purchase it at the artificially inflated price, there can be no profit to such a strategy. If there is such a moron, and I tend to doubt it, all he is doing is giving away his money to get an exceedingly temporary better view. By creating an artificial number; he would be simultaneously creating a vacuum to equalize it. Not terribly likely.

Much more likely: Some person or persons continues to like the presumed opportunities at Intrade and is wagering accordingly. They’ll be proven right or wrong on election day when the contracts all expire. Anyone who thinks the “line” is artificially high or low should simply take advantage of their perceived greater wisdom.

The conspiracy implications just struck me as nutty to mention, as they are wholly unsupported by the information provided.

Turns out that someone WAS engaging in exactly the behavior that you said was 'not terribly likely.' They did basically give away a ton of money. We don't know the reasons behind it, but it wasn't a conspiracy theory or anything.

cycloptichorn
OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 02:51 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
And the result to that ill-fated, stupid, strategy was precisely what I said it would be. Your new story pretty much confirms my every prediction of what would happen in the unlikely event some moron personally funded such a stupid scheme. You should have taken my advice and some of his money. Wink
parados

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 03:56 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Intrade comments on it here
http://www.intrade.com/jsp/intrade/misc/blog/?initialBlogId=jd_1

According to what they posted, the amount of money wasn't that much and the swings weren't that large.
107 shares is only risking about $500 in that price range.

The other thing you have to understand about intrade is that there is no broker to confirm you get the best price. You post what you will sell it for and others decide to buy or not. I could offer to sell my shares of Obama for 10 compared to the current 84 and it would go on the board with no questions by anyone. It would be quickly snatched up and then the price would revert to the next offered price.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 04:02 pm
This is ridiculously off the topic but it is such a wonderful example of the art of titling I just had to share it with friends... from TPM

Quote:
Geez, Do I Have to Add 'Em All Up?

Rep. Tim Mahoney (D-FL), responding to the question of how many affairs he's had: "You're asking me over a lifetime? I'm just saying I've been unfaithful and I'm sorry for that."

--David Kurtz

0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 08:13 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:

Your new story pretty much confirms my every prediction of what would happen in the unlikely event some moron personally funded such a stupid scheme.

Yeah but it pretty much put the cahoots on your brusque dismissal of Cyclo's suggestion that someone might be gaming the system as a nutty conspiracy theory...
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 08:46 pm
Here's one for stat geeks:

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2008/10/search-findings-from-third-presidential.html

http://www.techcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/debate-queries.png
fbaezer

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 09:02 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Now, that's interesting!
fbaezer

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 09:05 pm
Any new studies about the Bradley effect?

I just made a extreme case scenario in which Obama loses 6 points (or loses 3 and McCain wins 3) in every state. Still then, according to recent polls, he'd win handily the Presidency.
My question is in regard to different degrees of the Bradley effect, depending on the racial composition of every state.
Diest TKO

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 12:13 am
@fbaezer,
I'm looking into it and the history of it. As well as the reverse Bradley effect. Voters that won't admit that they are voting for Obama because of local social pressure.

T
K
O
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 02:31 am
@nimh,
nimh wrote:

OCCOM BILL wrote:

Your new story pretty much confirms my every prediction of what would happen in the unlikely event some moron personally funded such a stupid scheme.

Yeah but it pretty much put the cahoots on your brusque dismissal of Cyclo's suggestion that someone might be gaming the system as a nutty conspiracy theory...
If I had ever said that it might, Nimh... but I never did. That post was a response to Soz, and the conspiracy mention was indeed nutty… and about Silver’s idiotic rant, not Cyclo. The truth is; not only did your boy Silver lie through his teeth about there being no risk in the example bet he gave; he also concocted an idiotic conspiracy theory to go with it. Here:

Silver wrote:
I don't think this is any cause for alarm... if Joe Biden contracts were being bought up as part of this scheme, that might be more concerning, but they aren't. Still, if I were the Secret Service FBI (**), I would probably want to know the identity of this trader. And if I were one of those Beltway pundits who thinks I can be hip by referring to Intrade, I would take a look at the gross inefficiencies in these markets and think better of it.

(**) It seems to me that too much attention is being paid to this particular point. No, I do not think it is at all probable that this is connected to some sort of physical threat to Obama. But I do think it is the job of the FBI to investigate improbable threats. This is the whole reason the Pentagon was arguing for terrorism futures markets a couple of years ago.

The likely actual purpose of his entire post becomes clear right in the middle of those two paragraphs, actually:

Silver wrote:
And if I were one of those Beltway pundits who thinks I can be hip by referring to Intrade, I would take a look at the gross inefficiencies in these markets and think better of it.

(**) It seems to me that too much attention is being paid to this particular point.

Could there be a more blatant attempt to discredit competing prediction model? (One who Cyclo’s new story says Expert’s agree is more accurate than Silver’s, don’t forget) And you two swallowed it, hook, line and sinker… even after I meticulously illustrated his total lie about there being no risk in betting the float. Kinda reminiscent of Okie defending Rush, really. This guy is a jealous liar, who made his previous living as con-man who exploited degenerate gamblers. He may well be a fantastic stat-man; but that’s no reason to defend his obvious bullshit.
sozobe

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 06:26 am
@OCCOM BILL,
You get that the "particular point" he was referring to was the FBI stuff, right? ("Still, if I were the Secret Service FBI (**), I would probably want to know the identity of this trader.") (Sorry if yes, I just couldn't tell.) Nate Silver basically tossed something off about the FBI and then in comments people went ballistic and he went back and updated -- hey, calm down, I'm not implying anything in particular here, too much is being made of this particular point.
blatham

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 09:34 am
@fbaezer,
You bet. Imagine the scrambling that strategists will be doing in the future to ensure that their particular version of reality comes up front and center in searches and how speeches will be written/delivered to push words/phrases which tie into precisely that same content.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 09:36 am
Code:GOP turnout lagging in heavy N. Carolina early voting
Thursday was the first day of early voting in North Carolina, a formerly red state where Obama and McCain are in a virtual tie, and numbers released Friday show that more than 100,000 people turned out. That's 40 percent more than voted on the first day in 2004. Of the nearly 114,000 first-day voters, 64 percent were Democrats, 21 percent Republicans and 15 percent unaffiliated.
http://www.mcclatchydc.com/
0 Replies