New Battleground polls
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2008 11:30 AM by Domenico Montanaro
Filed Under: 2008, Polls

From NBC's Domenico Montanaro
Marist battleground polls (among registered voters):

-- MICHIGAN: Obama 50%, McCain 41%
-- OHIO: Obama 44%, McCain 44%
-- PENNSYLVANIA: Obama 45%, McCain 42%

Those are pretty good results for Obama. I especially like the MI result...

Though Conservatives like to talk about McCain's chance to win PA this year, I don't think there's much there.

http://www.pollster.com/08PAPresGEMvO600.png

Though there have been a few ties, McCain has not led a SINGLE telephone poll in PA since April of this year. That doesn't scream 'swing state' to me.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 11:30 am
@Diest TKO,
BTW...

RCP: Obama +2.2
Gallup: Obama +5.0

T
K
O
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 11:30 am
@kickycan,
Sure!

One data point among many, but it's good news.

Here's Pollster (poll of polls):

http://www.pollster.com/08USPresGEMvO600.png

Pollster on those battlegrounds:

Michigan: Obama 47.8, McCain 44.3
Ohio: McCain 47, Obama 44.6
Pennsylvania: Obama 47.5, McCain 44.5
sozobe

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 11:32 am
@Diest TKO,
That's cool, Diest.

I'm doing what I can here in Ohio! Big canvass on Sunday.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 11:38 am
@sozobe,
So, on Pollster.com, a lot of the Rust belt and upper midwest states have gone 'toss-up,' based in large part on some extremely close results in the recent Big 10 poll. I thought some of those states looked pretty odd, and somebody else noticed this -

Quote:
Remember those polls I linked to earlier today that showed some interesting results for the election? Well the internals are out now and let's just say some things are indeed "interesting" about them.

Let's look at %AA voters in each poll and then the %AA population in that state.
%AA poll / %AA population (2006)
IL 10% / 15%
IA 0.9% / 2.5%
IN 4.8% / 8.9%
MI 8.4% / 14.3%
MN 1.9% / 4.5%
OH 6.7% / 12.0%
PA 5.0% / 10.7%
WI 3.2% / 6.0%

Do you think that may have an effect on the results in places like PA, WI, MN, and even IA? I do. From what I could tell, they did not weight by race. But please correct me if I'm wrong on that. I have not heard Charles Franklin (from pollster.com and one of the people who did this poll) talk about that.

It would seem that AA's were massively and systemically under-sampled in this polling... right around 50% off of the demographics in each state. Think that would make the races look a little tighter? Smile

Cycloptichorn
nimh

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 11:55 am
@Diest TKO,
Good thinking!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 11:58 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

It would seem that AA's were massively and systemically under-sampled in this polling... right around 50% off of the demographics in each state. Think that would make the races look a little tighter? Smile

Cycloptichorn

AA = Average American, right?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 12:09 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

AA = Average American, right?

Well, I certainly think so Smile

But, I meant 'african americans' in this context.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 12:11 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I'm not surprised. Whoever came up with those numbers is ignoring the basics of polling.

African-Amercians may represent 15% of the total population in IL but what percentage are registered to vote? The Big 10 poll was a poll of registered voters not the entire population.

I haven't looked at the states in the Big 10 poll but I've seen ranges between 15% and 40% for African-American's who aren't registered to vote when looked at from the state level. Nationally, the last number I saw was in the high 70's range but I haven't looked recently.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 12:19 pm
@fishin,
Yeah, I thought that the actual numbers might be off too; so I checked the 2004 results:

Percent in poll / percent turnout in 2004

IL 10% (10)
IA 0.9% (1)
IN 4.8% (7)
MI 8.4% (13)
MN 1.9% (3)
OH 6.7% (10)
PA 5.0% (13)
WI 3.2% (5)

Some are a little better this way, but some (PA, OH and MI) are just as bad. IL and IA look about right tho.

Gotta keep in mind that a huge part of Obama's strategy is to register new voters and get them to the polls; he spends more money on that then on advertising, by a lot. So it's not unreasonable to think that the percentage of AA voters will be higher this year - for reasons of Obama's ethinicity alone, even before you count the added turnout efforts of his squad!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 12:43 pm
Well, Obama's got a (bare) lead on the all-important "whom would you rather watch a football game with" question. Does that mean it's all over? ;-)

Quote:
Poll: Obama tops McCain as football-watching buddy

Fri Sep 19, 6:46 AM ET

WASHINGTON - People would rather watch a football game with Barack Obama than with John McCain " but by barely the length of a football.

Obama was the pick over McCain by a narrow 50 percent to 47 percent, according to an Associated Press-Yahoo News poll released Friday that generally mirrored each presidential candidate's strengths and weaknesses with voters. Women, minorities, younger and unmarried people were likelier to prefer catching a game with Obama while men, whites, older and married people would rather watch with McCain.

"I think he'd be fun to sit back with and hear his experiences, all his stories," said Kyle Ferguson, 28, a Republican from Santa Rosa, Calif., who picked McCain. But reflecting a sense some voters have of McCain based on the complaints of a few Senate colleagues, he added warily, "I bet he'd probably get pretty angry and lit up if his team was losing."

Democrat James Smith, 29, of Asheville, N.C., picked Obama because he believes he and the Democratic senator from Illinois have more in common.

"With McCain, I have such an age difference," said Smith of the Arizona senator, who is 72. But with Obama, 47, he said, "If things went well with the conversation, the football game would be forgotten. There'd be a lot of back and forth."

Such views are significant because in many elections, candidates considered more likable have an advantage.

McCain backers were a bit more intrigued by watching with Obama than the Democrat's supporters were with making McCain their football buddy. While fewer than one in 10 Obama backers wanted to watch with McCain, nearly one in five McCain supporters wanted to kick back with Obama. [..]

Obama roots for the NFL's Chicago Bears, McCain for the Arizona Cardinals.

With Obama struggling to win over former supporters of Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, the poll had worrisome news: 35 percent of them would rather watch with McCain, well above the 23 percent figure for all Democrats.

There was also a danger sign for McCain: About three in 10 voters are still undecided or say they may switch candidates. That group leans narrowly toward Obama as their football companion.

The poll of 1,740 adults was conducted Sept. 5-15 and has an overall margin of sampling error of plus or minus 2.3 percentage points. It was conducted over the Internet by Knowledge Networks, which initially contacted people using traditional telephone polling methods and followed with online interviews.
spendius

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 02:03 pm
@nimh,
nimh wrote-

Quote:
Obama roots for the NFL's Chicago Bears, McCain for the Arizona Cardinals.

I very much doubt that. They may well adopt those postures for public consumption but I can't see them "rooting" for those teams.

It's just PR.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 05:15 pm
@Diest TKO,
Diest TKO wrote:

I made a choice today to register my vote in Virginia instead of doing an absentee ballot in Missouri.

I am not, TKO, singling out our state of VA for criticism. But there does seem to be confusion amongst voter registrars about students, and whether they should vote in the state where they come from, where their cars are registered etc. etc. Be careful to monitor that amongst student groups you might come into contact with.
I also heard a story, but only once, that some folks in VA are receiving what appear to be absentee ballots that they did not request, urging them to mail a vote in in order to avoid waiting in line.
spendius

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 05:18 pm
@realjohnboy,
Are you suggesting that there's some funny stuff going on which might require UN monitors to look into?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 05:26 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

Diest TKO wrote:

I made a choice today to register my vote in Virginia instead of doing an absentee ballot in Missouri.

I am not, TKO, singling out our state of VA for criticism. But there does seem to be confusion amongst voter registrars about students, and whether they should vote in the state where they come from, where their cars are registered etc. etc. Be careful to monitor that amongst student groups you might come into contact with.
I also heard a story, but only once, that some folks in VA are receiving what appear to be absentee ballots that they did not request, urging them to mail a vote in in order to avoid waiting in line.

It's been confirmed that the McCain camp has sent out over a million of these; and every one of them is fraudulent. They include check boxes and other devices not recognized by the Secretaries of State, and therefore cannot be processed.

Now, there's some question as to whether or not this is a partisan attack, as apparently just as many Republicans rec'd them as Dems...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 05:54 pm
Good evening. I hope yall are fine and dandy.
Nimh set this is up as a place where poll-watching wonks could hang out. We were pretty good about sticking to that until a day or so ago when when some of us, myself included, started turning it into a political forum.
I would respectfully ask that this thread be reserved for "Polls, bets, numbers and pretty graphs."
Thank you.
spendius

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 05:57 pm
@realjohnboy,
With all due respect rjb I think you might be pissing into the wind with that one.
realjohnboy

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 06:04 pm
@spendius,
You don't realize, spendius, how much cachet I & Nimh have here. I am a dumb redneck, but a number of folks have a certain respect for me. And Nimh is awesome. We will see.
spendius

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 06:06 pm
@realjohnboy,
You prove my point. That post had nothing to do with polls, bets, numbers & pretty graphs!
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 07:05 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

Diest TKO wrote:

Thanks for the heads up. I'm working some voter registration events here in NoVA. Also, I registered through the DMV when I changed my drivers license over. I think there is little chance of me or my roommates being disenfranchised this election.

As a rule of thumb it's better to go to the government office rather than take the advice of any party that seeks you out. I have been hearing about the whole student thing. My sister goes to school at American University in DC and she has been getting conflicting information on how to get her absentee ballot for Missouri.

So where are you registered to vote?

T
K
O
0 Replies