Survival of the Fittest and Health Care

flaja

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 08:11 pm
dlowan wrote:
Sure...but I am not talking about that....I am more talking about stuff like certain kinds of stress seemingly triggering the expression of a genetic vulnerability to schizophrenia, or interfering with optimal foetal development etc., not health choices made by people after they become able to make choices.

Whether or not a gene is expressed often depends on environmental and/or behavioral factors. If you have genes that make you prone to have high cholesterol, your problem will be far worse if you eat cholesterol-laden foods. Even your own example of schizophrenia (whether true or not) has an environmental factor: stress. So what should we do? Sterilize people who have genes for schizophrenia or prevent stressful environments for people that have schizophrenia?
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 08:21 pm
Quote:
You have documentation that the number of people carrying such genes is growing?

Nope. It does however seem a likely outcome of the removal of survival of the fittest - those who would otherwise have died get to pass on lesser quality genes. Of course, it's not quite that simple - I'm boiling it down.

Quote:
No. Whether or not gene frequency is changing in a population depends on how genes behave, so my explanation is very relevant.

I am aware of dominant and recessive genes and how they pass on. It is relevant to stability of %'s when the natural order of things doesn't change. The natural order of things has changed through the health cares removal of survival of the fittest.

Quote:
Without mutations and without controlling mating habits in a population, it is biologically impossible for gene frequencies to change.

This statement is in error - there are a wide variety of genes out there to play with. Some genes are 'better' than others. Mutations aren't necessary - it is only necessary that defective/lesser genes (first) survive and (then) breed in greater numbers.

Quote:
Are the genes that cause black skin defective?

Are the genes found among Jews defective?

If homosexuality is caused by genes, are these genes defective?

What has any of these examples of yours got to do with health care?

Quote:
If alcoholism is caused by genes, are these genes defective?

There is a gene that contributes to alcoholism. Whether it is a defective gene or not would be debatable.

Quote:
If it is possible to identify defective genes, who gets to do the identifying?

Scientists are identifying genes and their roles all the time. It quite obviously isn't yet to the stage where they can say what every gene does for certain. It seems likely that they'll eventually be able to map out every gene...but then again, perhaps it will never get to that stage - who can tell?
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 08:22 pm
Quote:
So what should we do? Sterilize people who have genes for schizophrenia or prevent stressful environments for people that have schizophrenia?

Just a note : I doubt it's possible to achieve the second option to any great degree or effectiveness.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 08:28 pm
Quote:
If medical care in the western world allows the medically "unfit" to survive, presumably people in 3rd world countries that lack adequate health care would be far more fit because those with defects simply die before reproducing. But that's not the case. If lifespans are increasing and overall health in the western world is improving, I'd say that indicates a general increase in fitness whether it is due to genes or environment.

Hi Terry,

A valid point - longer life, versus an increase in diseases.

Well, longer life has definite contributing factors of environment, and of medicine. Perhaps it has to do with genetics also.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 08:37 pm
vikorr wrote:
Quote:
So what should we do? Sterilize people who have genes for schizophrenia or prevent stressful environments for people that have schizophrenia?

Just a note : I doubt it's possible to achieve the second option to any great degree or effectiveness.

Actually, as we learn about such things, we are gradually learning more and more about the things that contribute to poor outcomes....and are able to target key factors. Eg.:

Early intervention programs are gradually starting up which begin prior to conception, if possible, in vulnerable populations....(folate camapigns are a simple example of this....they promote increased folate consumption in women who are thinking of becoming pregnant as a preventive for spina bifida).

Universal home visiting by nurses for new parents is being rolled out in my state, hoping to nip simple attachment/rearing problems in the bud, and create a relationship with new parents that allows for referral to more intensive help if necessary, as well as identify actual abuse or dangerous neglect. Now, such programs are damned difficult, and the people involved are on a steep learning curve (and also battling simplistic politicians' views of what is needed) but it looks as though such programs, if well done, really make a difference.

If you frame the problem as preventing stress, for instance, then that cannot be done....however, really good understanding of the actual mechanisms that do harm, allows for intervention that has the potential to be really effective. And the longitudinal studies of such programs are looking good, when certain conditions are met.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 08:41 pm
Quote:
If you frame the problem as preventing stress, for instance, then that cannot be done....

That's what I think also.

Quote:
however, really good understanding of the actual mechanisms that do harm, allows for intervention that has the potential to be really effective.

We are in agreement on this - what you quoted me on was specifically in relation to stress triggered bouts of schizophrenia, not to other illnesses.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 08:55 pm
vikorr wrote:
Nope. It does however seem a likely outcome of the removal of survival of the fittest - those who would otherwise have died get to pass on lesser quality genes. Of course, it's not quite that simple - I'm boiling it down.

The burner under your pot was never turned on. As I've already explained removing people who express the effects of "bad" genes does not remove the genes from the population. Removing people who have a disease like cystic fibrosis from the population does not decrease the frequency of the cystic fibrosis gene in the population because of heterozygous carriers of the cystic fibrosis gene. Neither will removal decrease the frequency at which people are born with CP.

Quote:
The natural order of things has changed through the health cares removal of survival of the fittest.

How so? Give some examples of how medical care has altered the population frequencies of genetic diseases. What specific diseases are you talking about?

Quote:
This statement is in error - there are a wide variety of genes out there to play with.

Perhaps you should explain what your biology education has been before you declare something that I've said is in error.

As long as the genes are not linked (that is found on the same chromosomes with one another) the Hardy-Weinberg law holds for all genes. In any randomly mating large population gene frequencies do not change over time. And even if you did remove homozygous recessive genotypes from the population before they produced offspring the remaining heterozygous genotypes that are allowed to mate would still create just as many homozygous recessive genotypes as always. This is a fundamental law of biology. If you want to decrease the frequency of a genetic disease in a population you'd have to prevent both homozygous recessive genotypes and heterozygous genotypes from mating. You would have to limit mating to homozygous dominant genotypes.

Quote:
There is a gene that contributes to alcoholism. Whether it is a defective gene or not would be debatable.

But you are certain that defective genes do exist?

Quote:
Scientists are identifying genes and their roles all the time.

I didn't ask who is identifying genes. I asked who gets to decide which genes are defective.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 09:08 pm
vikorr wrote:
Quote:
If you frame the problem as preventing stress, for instance, then that cannot be done....

That's what I think also.

Quote:
however, really good understanding of the actual mechanisms that do harm, allows for intervention that has the potential to be really effective.

We are in agreement on this - what you quoted me on was specifically in relation to stress triggered bouts of schizophrenia, not to other illnesses.

Actually, I wasn't. I was referring to early trauma increasing the likelihood that schizophrenia will express itself. And I do think there is at least the potential to do things about the amount of trauma that kids get exposed to..see above.

However, you are quite right that incidents of stress appear to be able to trigger episodes of schizophrenia.

Actually, quite a lot gets done about that, too, once someone has had a first episode. Good mental health services put a lot of effort into just that problem, with psycho-education for people who have experienced an episode, and with their families etc. to assist them with understanding the stress factor and helping them know how to lessen stress.

That's one of the greatest stresses about working anywhere near mental health.....how much services are unable to perform basic functions that it is KNOWN would have a positive effect on outcomes, and thus on people's suffering, because of lack of resourcing. Grrrr....

Sorry...not meaning to nit-pick with you, I just think it's an interesting topic, and I know about it, so I can't shut up.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 12:05 am
Quote:
Sorry...not meaning to nit-pick with you, I just think it's an interesting topic, and I know about it, so I can't shut up.

No problem at all.

I finally decided to do a search on this topic - hard to find any information. I did find this :

http://www.eubios.info/SG/SG12.htm

Quote:
A major proof against sterilisation being effective eugenically was the Hardy-Weinberg Law, from 1908. They had observed that while "undesirable" genes are seen in the sufferers of some diseases, the genes that might be responsible for the traits were widely dispersed in people who do not manifest these diseases or traits. This analysis describes the behaviour of recessive harmful alleles. It was subsequently found that some of these harmful traits have been positively selected in some populations, because in the heterozygous state they confer an advantage on the carriers, for example sickle cell disease in many Africans, and the gene for Tay-Sach's disease in many eastern European Jews. This argument is also a powerful argument against future eugenic selection: we do not know the future diseases in which some apparent defect may be advantageous. If we used a sterilisation program against a recessive allele that is in the population at a frequency of 5%, it would take 200 generations of total sterilisation of the homozygous individuals to reduce the frequency to 2.5% of the individuals carrying the allele. Though there would be significant reductions in the number of homozygous individuals born during the first few generations. The presence of carriers who did not express the defective trait meant there would always be potentially new homozygous individuals in the population, and continued screening would be required to detect them.
Some claim that because we are keeping many genetically handicapped people alive long enough for them to reproduce this has led to genetic decay. This has been an argument of eugenics' supporters for the last century (Huxley 1963). This has been a much used argument in the past, but it is not substantiated by evidence. There is no evidence to say that the human gene pool is deteriorating because we can treat genetic disease. Even if there are many people reproducing with the genetic diseases the impact on the gene pool is very slow. In the case of a single recessive gene in the population at a frequency of 0.5%, it might take 70 generations for the incidence of the gene to double, to 1% (Crow 1968). What may be more important is the rate of new mutations occuring, because of environmental hazards such as radiation or chemicals, and the best strategy is to eliminate these hazards from the environment. Certainly pPrenatal screening and selective abortion can reduce the number of individuals born with genetic diseases. However, the ethical justification for using these techniques is not to be found in protecting the interests of society but on protecting the interests of individuals and their families. This screening can have a major affect on the next generation, for instance the annual number of children born with Tay-Sach's disease in the USA used to be 50, but since the use of genetic screening the number has fallen to 10-12. For the forty families that do not have a child born, it makes a major difference.

From that perspective, Flaja is mostly right in regards to the lack of increase of genetic problems - apparently it takes much longer than 20 generations for the gene pool to move
0 Replies

rafamen

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 01:05 am
Well if we had survival of the fitess then a lot of people would die and that would be bad though we end up with a stronger specie. that we don't have survival of the fitess differenciate us from animals so I guess if we want humanity to "progress" we need to eliminate that natural selection so smart who are weak can help out. Surprised
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 06:47 am
rafamen wrote:
Well if we had survival of the fitess then a lot of people would die and that would be bad though we end up with a stronger specie. that we don't have survival of the fitess differenciate us from animals so I guess if we want humanity to "progress" we need to eliminate that natural selection so smart who are weak can help out. Surprised

If evolution by natural selection is the way of nature and humans are a natural species like every other living thing is, what power can humans have to stop natural selection from acting on humans? Why wouldn't everything we do be an adaptation to our environment and thus subject to natural selection?
0 Replies

rafamen

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 12:02 pm
If evolution by natural selection is the way of nature and humans are a natural species like every other living thing is, what power can humans have to stop natural selection from acting on humans? Why wouldn't everything we do be an adaptation to our environment and thus subject to natural selection?

actually we have the power to control ("stop" is too strong for this) natural selection to some point. with our technology we can keep people with unfavorable genotypes alive. we do have some natural selection, for example men look for woman with big boobs and wide hips while woman look for healthy good-looking males so after many generation we may end up only with people with this characteristics. Arrow
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 12:41 pm
rafamen wrote:
actually we have the power to control ("stop" is too strong for this) natural selection to some point. with our technology we can keep people with unfavorable genotypes alive.

Isn't our technology just an adaptation to our environment? How does natural selection not act on our technology and thus operate as it always has?

Quote:
we do have some natural selection, for example men look for woman with big boobs and wide hips while woman look for healthy good-looking males so after many generation we may end up only with people with this characteristics. Arrow

Anatomically modern humans have supposedly been around for something like 50,000 years. If humans start breeding by the age of 15, we've had over 3,300 human generations and we still have small-chested women and sickly-looking men. Hardy-Weinberg prohibits your theory.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 03:38 pm
flaja wrote:
Terry wrote:
Natural selection quite often leads to extinction - 99% of all species that ever existed are gone - some to catastrophe, but others (Neanderthals, for instance) lost out in the survival game.

Natural selection or catastrophic environmental conditions? Are you familiar with Bumpus' sparrows? As long as the environment remains constant or changes very slowly the genes in a population seem to be preserved even when they put the bearer at a disadvantage. But when catastrophe strikes the change is too quick for some genes and their bearers die off.

I had never heard of Bumpus' sparrows, but after looking it up it seems that he failed to consider all of the sparrows that weren't incapacitated by the storm or found cover, thus avoiding collection. I agree that environmental stress is required for selection to operate but that includes competition for mates and access to scarcer resources as well as catastrophic changes.
Quote:
Quote:
I agree with Phoenix that spending millions on one hopeless case at the expense of thousands of other children who suffer due to inadequate medical care does not seem right.

When have millions ever been spent on one hopeless case?

And what happens if we do spend millions on one "hopeless" case so that doctors can learn from it and thus develop ways to better treat such cases in the future? If money hadn't been spent on the fist incubator that saved a premature baby, I wouldn't be alive. And the money that was spent on me has, no doubt, enabled babies that are born far more premature than I was to survive.

If money hadn't been spent treating a patient with terminal kidney disease, we likely wouldn't have dialysis machines or kidney transplant operations.

I think that Phoenix estimated that millions might have been spent in one particular hopeless case. I do know that special education of the untrainable costs my school system quite a lot of money, and that surgery and other treatments in many cases is quite expensive with no hope of improvement (I personally know one such case with cerebral palsy). I agree that money needs to be spent on medical resources, but not on repeating non-effective treatments that do nothing more than keep bodies alive.

You were not a "hopeless case" and I have no doubt that the money spent on you was justified.
Quote:
Quote:
No one said anything about killing off the sick and infirm.

If you don't kill them off, how do you not spend money caring for them?

Sickness and infirmity are not the criteria for denying care. Being brain-dead or involuntary suffering due to a non-curable condition might be. It would have to be determined on a case-by-case basis.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 04:21 pm
Terry wrote:
I had never heard of Bumpus' sparrows, but after looking it up it seems that he failed to consider all of the sparrows that weren't incapacitated by the storm or found cover, thus avoiding collection.

I am not aware right off how many sparrows Bumpus collected, but how would you determine the number of sparrows needed to be a representative sample of the entire sparrow population? And if the dead sparrows that Bumpus did collect couldn't find shelter or otherwise survive the storm, why should we conclude that some sparrows with similar morphologies did find shelter or otherwise survive the storm? If sparrows with usual physical traits survived, wouldn't you have to conclude that roughly an equal number with normal morphologies survived as well? How else could you explain the fact that among the sparrows that were collected it was mostly the ones with unusual morphologies that died?

Based on the peppered moths and the sparrows (assuming that the moth data are accurate; there is some dispute about Kettlewell's work) it seems that natural selection seems to work in opposite directions. For the moths nature preserved harmful traits that proved to be useful under future conditions, but for the sparrows nature eliminated unusual traits because they couldn't survive catastrophic conditions.

But, then Hardy-Weinberg explains how unusual traits are preserved in recessive genes so natural selection may not really lead anywhere. Species either survive or go extinct, but they don't evolve into different species.

Quote:
I agree with Phoenix that spending millions on one hopeless case at the expense of thousands of other children who suffer due to inadequate medical care does not seem right.

But what right do thousands have to demand that one die?

Quote:
I do know that special education of the untrainable costs my school system quite a lot of money, and that surgery and other treatments in many cases is quite expensive with no hope of improvement (I personally know one such case with cerebral palsy).

So every person with CP should be taken out and gassed so they don't cost you money?

Quote:
I agree that money needs to be spent on medical resources, but not on repeating non-effective treatments that do nothing more than keep bodies alive.

Doctors may see every "hopeless" case as a learning opportunity.

Quote:
You were not a "hopeless case" and I have no doubt that the money spent on you was justified.

What if I had been born 5 years earlier? What about 10 years or 15? I wouldn't be alive if doctors had tried to treat cases before me that were hopeless.

Quote:
Being brain-dead or involuntary suffering due to a non-curable condition might be. It would have to be determined on a case-by-case basis.

Define brain dead. And what happens if society's definition of brain dead changes in the future to include people that decide to join a particular political party or religion? And who gets to decide when suffering is involuntary? And how do you keep the opportunity ("right" if you will) to die rather than suffer from becoming an obligation to die rather than burden society?
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 06:13 pm
flaja wrote:
I am not aware right off how many sparrows Bumpus collected, but how would you determine the number of sparrows needed to be a representative sample of the entire sparrow population? And if the dead sparrows that Bumpus did collect couldn't find shelter or otherwise survive the storm, why should we conclude that some sparrows with similar morphologies did find shelter or otherwise survive the storm? If sparrows with usual physical traits survived, wouldn't you have to conclude that roughly an equal number with normal morphologies survived as well? How else could you explain the fact that among the sparrows that were collected it was mostly the ones with unusual morphologies that died?

He was given 136. Over half revived in his lab. We cannot conclude ANYTHING about the sparrows that were not collected since we know nothing about them, other than that they weren't lying around half dead when the collectors came by.

Quote:
But, then Hardy-Weinberg explains how unusual traits are preserved in recessive genes so natural selection may not really lead anywhere. Species either survive or go extinct, but they don't evolve into different species.

Of course species evolve into other species! Sometimes the original species survives as well, sometimes it doesn't. What makes you think that they don't evolve?

Quote:
Quote:

But what right do thousands have to demand that one die?

No one demands that anyone die. But we don't have to spend millions to artificially keep one alive instead of letting them die naturally, while denying care to thousands. What right does one have to demand (if they could) that thousands suffer who could be helped? It's a dog-in-the-manger question.

Quote:
Quote:
I do know that special education of the untrainable costs my school system quite a lot of money, and that surgery and other treatments in many cases is quite expensive with no hope of improvement (I personally know one such case with cerebral palsy).

So every person with CP should be taken out and gassed so they don't cost you money?

I didn't say that, but in this particular case, the one being kept alive has no quality of life and seems (to me) to be suffering needlessly.
Quote:
Quote:
I agree that money needs to be spent on medical resources, but not on repeating non-effective treatments that do nothing more than keep bodies alive.

Doctors may see every "hopeless" case as a learning opportunity.

So you think that it is OK to use disabled children as medical guinea pigs? (This is how you have been distorting what I write.)

Quote:
Define brain dead. And what happens if society's definition of brain dead changes in the future to include people that decide to join a particular political party or religion? And who gets to decide when suffering is involuntary? And how do you keep the opportunity ("right" if you will) to die rather than suffer from becoming an obligation to die rather than burden society?

Brain dead is when EEGs or other tests of brain function show that consciousness is no longer possible. While I may think that a person who believes in a particular religion must be brain-dead :wink: , they are NOT brain-dead by any medical definition.

Suffering is involuntary if the person experiencing it has no choice in the matter. No moral society would allow anyone to be coerced into choosing death, nor would they forbid the choice. It is easy enough to put checks and balances (such as a consensus by 3 doctors and counseling) into the law.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 07:54 pm
Terry wrote:
He was given 136. Over half revived in his lab. We cannot conclude ANYTHING about the sparrows that were not collected since we know nothing about them, other than that they weren't lying around half dead when the collectors came by.

Why would a sample collected in nature not indicate anything about the general population found in nature? If Bumpus couldn't conclude anything about what had happened in nature by studying the sparrows he could study, why did he bother to study them- and why was his work put into biology textbooks as an example of natural selection at work?

Quote:
Of course species evolve into other species! Sometimes the original species survives as well, sometimes it doesn't. What makes you think that they don't evolve?

Because natural selection is a conservative force, not an innovative one. Bumpus' work shows that natural selection tries to preserve what is normal, i.e., a species does not change.

Quote:
No one demands that anyone die.

Refusing to give care that can save someone life isn't demanding that they die?

Quote:
I didn't say that,

You have someone with CP and you refuse to try to train them and refuse to give them medical care. That person will shortly die, so how have you not effectively demanded that person be killed?

Quote:
but in this particular case, the one being kept alive has no quality of life and seems (to me) to be suffering needlessly.

Where is it your place to make these judgment calls for another person?

Quote:
So you think that it is OK to use disabled children as medical guinea pigs? (This is how you have been distorting what I write.)

I am saying that this is how medicine works. We will never learn how to save the terminally sick or the severely disabled if we don't try to save the terminal and disabled people we have now.

Quote:
Brain dead is when EEGs or other tests of brain function show that consciousness is no longer possible.

That's the definition now, but what happens if society changes the definition in the future so that not having a certain kind of brain function makes you brain dead?

Quote:
While I may think that a person who believes in a particular religion must be brain-dead :wink: , they are NOT brain-dead by any medical definition.

But if people like you are willing to say believing in a particular religion makes a person brain dead, what will keep society from forcing doctors to make your definition the medical definition sometime in the future?

Quote:
Suffering is involuntary if the person experiencing it has no choice in the matter.

I had no choice when I was put into the incubator at birth. I've always had a very high pain tolerance and my mother has always attributed this to the time I spent in the incubator.

Quote:
(such as a consensus by 3 doctors and counseling)

So you are willing to let others make medical decisions for people. This is just what the Nazis did with Aktion T4 when it took 3 medical experts to decide when people from birth to age 3 were life unworthy of life and thus had to be euthanized http://www.historyplace.com/worldwar2/holocaust/h-euthanasia.htm.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 08:52 pm
flaja wrote:
Why would a sample collected in nature not indicate anything about the general population found in nature?

The sample only included birds incapacitated by the storm. They may not have been representative in size or general fitness of those unaffected.

Quote:
Because natural selection is a conservative force, not an innovative one. Bumpus' work shows that natural selection tries to preserve what is normal, i.e., a species does not change.

Natural selection does not "try" to do anything or preserve anything. The fittest survive, whether or not they are "normal."

Quote:
Refusing to give care that can save someone life isn't demanding that they die?

No.

Quote:
You have someone with CP and you refuse to try to train them and refuse to give them medical care. That person will shortly die, so how have you not effectively demanded that person be killed?

No. Of course we try to train those with CP and give them medical care. But if they are not even trainable or are suffering, I see no reason to subject them to useless surgeries or heroic measures to keep them alive.

Quote:
Where is it your place to make these judgment calls for another person?

I never said it was. It isn't yours, either. But we all have the right to our opinions on what should be done.

Quote:
I am saying that this is how medicine works. We will never learn how to save the terminally sick or the severely disabled if we don't try to save the terminal and disabled people we have now.

It depends on what is wrong with them. Each case is different, and someone has to decide whether to use them as guinea pigs (apparently your preference) or let them die with dignity.

Quote:
That's the definition now, but what happens if society changes the definition in the future so that not having a certain kind of brain function makes you brain dead?

But if people like you are willing to say believing in a particular religion makes a person brain dead, what will keep society from forcing doctors to make your definition the medical definition sometime in the future?

I used the emoticon so you knew that was a joke! What if society changes the laws so that pi = 3 or intelligent design is taught as science? Hopefully the voters will not allow any such stupidity.

Quote:
So you are willing to let others make medical decisions for people. This is just what the Nazis did with Aktion T4 when it took 3 medical experts to decide when people from birth to age 3 were life unworthy of life and thus had to be euthanized http://www.historyplace.com/worldwar2/holocaust/h-euthanasia.htm.

Someone has to make medical decisions if the patient cannot. Hopefully the family knows the patient's wishes and respects them. If not, I'd rather have doctors decide my fate than insurance company bureaucrats or politicians.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 12:26 am
Re: Survival of the Fittest and Health Care
vikorr wrote:
Has anyone given thought to the fact that we are removing survival of the fittest from the (western world) human equation?

We should also remember that Natural Selection is only one of the forces of evolution. Variation is equally important. Selection and Variation work in balance.

As humans act collectively to reduce the force of selection by augmenting survival, we are also increasing the variations which survive within the population. As with sickle cell, it's not always apparent when a detrimental trait in one environment may become an advantage in another. Variation within the population itself is a survival advantage for the species as a whole.

I don't think we should be so quick to decide that our actions (saving "weaker" individuals) are counter to the natural process, or in any way weakening the species.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 05:29 pm
Re: Survival of the Fittest and Health Care
vikorr wrote:
Has anyone given thought to the fact that we are removing survival of the fittest from the (western world) human equation?

I mean, people with heritage of things like breast cancer, heart disease etc, are more likely to develop said problems.

Allergies seem to be spreading rapidly, and each generation seems to have more allergies (though I could be wrong on this one).

Survival of the fittest means those people with 'defective' genes would die out and not pass them on, yet with our health care they are.

What happens 3, 4, 5, 10 generations down the track - will every single person have a health problem? Multiple health problems?

If so, should something be done about it...or is it something that should be consigned to the 'too hard basket'?

...or hope that genetic engineering advances enough that we won't have to worry the answer to that question Confused

your assuming people will be able to purachase healthcare in the future. we will most likely be in a post world war depression the like we have never seen before.
0 Replies