School getting sued for failing to inspect kids lunches

ehBeth

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 05:36 pm
aidan wrote:
That's what I was thinking-scary- it's surprising they still serve nuts as snacks on flights.

Quote:
Does Air Canada guarantee a peanut-free flight? Air Canada does not serve peanuts on-board; however, it cannot guarantee a peanut-free flight.

It's been many years since Air Canada served any nut products during flights.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 05:39 pm
Tai Chi wrote:
Not all substances are as sticky/oily/difficult to remove as peanut butter, but it could become an issue as small children are notoriously careless about hand washing -- especially AFTER eating.

Going back about 15 years, my friend's son refused to eat anything but peanut butter sandwiches for lunch. There were a couple of kids in the school with peanut allergies. So the school sent him home at lunch - where he had his peanut butter sandwich. His parents had to sign something saying they'd watch him wash his hands before bringing him back to the school.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 06:11 pm
i guess one might say that peanuts have become a TOXIC SUBSTANCE for some people .
as i have stated , food companies seem to have become quite sensitive to the allergy problem by now stating that their products are produced in peanut-free facilities .
they must have figured out that there is MONEY to be made with such products .
perhaps peanut producers will come up with a peanut that will not cause allergies . i'm reasonably sure that if some company figures out that they can make money that way , they'll use such product .
after all , there are sugar-free SWEETS , cholesterol free eggs , chocolate free "chocolate" (karob) and other such products .
so would it really be so difficult to come up with allergy free peanuts ?
hbg
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 06:28 pm
ehBeth wrote:
aidan wrote:
That's what I was thinking-scary- it's surprising they still serve nuts as snacks on flights.

Quote:
Does Air Canada guarantee a peanut-free flight? Air Canada does not serve peanuts on-board; however, it cannot guarantee a peanut-free flight.

It's been many years since Air Canada served any nut products during flights.

I've never flown Air Canada- but I have flown several European based airlines and as recently as this past summer, have been served peanuts- or some kind of nuts - may have been cashews...which can also induce a serious allergic reaction-but I guess that goes along with the fact that this seems to be less of an issue in Europe.

There was one American flight I went on that gave little mini packets of Oreos - which I enjoyed- but I know those have eggs in them as for my fifth birthday party I'd invited a little boy who was allergic to eggs and his mother told my mother not to make a special cake just for him, but to buy Hydrox cookies as he liked those and they were similar to Oreos, but didn't contain eggs - or maybe I'm remembering wrong and it was an issue of keeping kosher...
Anyway, I guess the point I'm making is that you can't make every child's environment risk-free- as much as some of us would love for everything to be safe for every child - it can't be...that's why it's important for the child be educated and willing to take responsibility for his or her own safety- by making the right choices and being prepared.

It's not practical or realistic to believe that every other person in his or her environment will be cooperative - or even empathetic- with or to his needs.
And alot of resentment can be engendered by making all the other children give up the things they like or love for the sake of an individual child- especially if it goes beyond what other parents deem reasonable.
Kids hear their parents talk and adopt the same attitudes. I'd be willing to bet that along with the concern about liability- there was at least a faction of parents in this school who rebelled against this, seeing it as an imposition on their own child-rearing in favor of special and unreasonable treatment for this small group of siblings.
If it had been a popular policy - the other parents would have activated to fire the new principal who decided to change it.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 06:30 pm
hamburger wrote:
i guess one might say that peanuts have become a TOXIC SUBSTANCE for some people .
as i have stated , food companies seem to have become quite sensitive to the allergy problem by now stating that their products are produced in peanut-free facilities .
they must have figured out that there is MONEY to be made with such products .
perhaps peanut producers will come up with a peanut that will not cause allergies . i'm reasonably sure that if some company figures out that they can make money that way , they'll use such product .
after all , there are sugar-free SWEETS , cholesterol free eggs , chocolate free "chocolate" (karob) and other such products .
so would it really be so difficult to come up with allergy free peanuts ?
hbg

http://www.thelowcarbgrocery.com/catalog/images/IMHeathlySoyNutButter.jpg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 06:46 pm
OFF TOPIC !
--------------
in 1985 i attented a convention of the internal auditors association of america at grossinger's in the catskills .
it was a strictly kosher resort - much to the dismay of most of the american attendees : NO BACON FOR BREAKFAST ! (and , of course , no pork at all !)
there were separate kitchens for meat and dairy products - with a special attendant standing at the door of each kitchen to ensure that meat dishes would not find their way into the dairy kitchen or dairy dishes into the milk kitchen !
while i enjoyed being able to order smoked fish and pickled herring for breakfast , most of the other attendees were ready to smuggle in some bacon for breakfast .
i was rather surprised to learn that most of the americans had not the slightest idea of how important it was for a kosher resort to maintain such strict standards of dairy/meat separation !
i think everyone survived without bacon for three days :wink: - some may have driven to the village for a bacon sandwich ???
hbg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 06:57 pm
I'm sort of reluctant to cater in a particularized way to a world of special needs.. or so I say to myself, at the same time I am willing, much of the time, thinking the "catering" reasonable accomodation. The deal with peanuts is very serious, not just some kind of pc thing. Or can be very serious. I have a friend whose son gradually outgrew the extreme allergy. So... there is peanut allergy and peanut allergy, I take it, but at its extreme, it easily can be deadly, as mentioned before on the thread. How prevalent death from peanut dust is, I have no idea.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 07:18 am
DrewDad wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
Moreover, lots of food allergies are caused by the parents; feeding peanuts to a baby can cause the sensitivity.

That may be so, but we don't usually punish children for the faults of their parents.

Who said anything about punishing the children? Your logic seems a bit twisty, there.

My point was that the burden should be on the parents, no the school.

If that was your point, you did a pretty bad job of making it. Pointing out that parents are often the cause of these allergies is irrelevant to the question of who should be responsible for dealing with those allergies.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 08:17 am
joefromchicago wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
Moreover, lots of food allergies are caused by the parents; feeding peanuts to a baby can cause the sensitivity.

That may be so, but we don't usually punish children for the faults of their parents.

Who said anything about punishing the children? Your logic seems a bit twisty, there.

My point was that the burden should be on the parents, no the school.

If that was your point, you did a pretty bad job of making it. Pointing out that parents are often the cause of these allergies is irrelevant to the question of who should be responsible for dealing with those allergies.
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 08:23 am
aidan wrote:

And alot of resentment can be engendered by making all the other children give up the things they like or love for the sake of an individual child- especially if it goes beyond what other parents deem reasonable.

Nothing conclusive of course, but for what it's worth, sozlet has had at least one classmate with a peanut allergy since preschool -- she just sees it as normal, not anything to be concerned about. Her classroom is "peanut free" and she often sits at the "peanut free" table in her cafeteria because she likes some of the kids who sit there and I always send peanut-free lunches with her, so she can. (Somewhat annoying, but not a huge trial.) As in, she knows that she can have peanut stuff in her lunch, she'd just have to sit somewhere else, but she prefers to have the option of sitting there and go without peanuts.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 08:38 am
hamburger wrote:
OFF TOPIC !
--------------
in 1985 i attented a convention of the internal auditors association of america at grossinger's in the catskills .
it was a strictly kosher resort - much to the dismay of most of the american attendees : NO BACON FOR BREAKFAST ! (and , of course , no pork at all !)
there were separate kitchens for meat and dairy products - with a special attendant standing at the door of each kitchen to ensure that meat dishes would not find their way into the dairy kitchen or dairy dishes into the milk kitchen !
while i enjoyed being able to order smoked fish and pickled herring for breakfast , most of the other attendees were ready to smuggle in some bacon for breakfast .
i was rather surprised to learn that most of the americans had not the slightest idea of how important it was for a kosher resort to maintain such strict standards of dairy/meat separation !
i think everyone survived without bacon for three days :wink: - some may have driven to the village for a bacon sandwich ???
hbg

You should see the "Curb Your Enthusiasm" episode where Larry pretends to be an Orthodox Jew, but doesn't know all the rules. And his gentile wife is absolutely baffled. After meat and dairy are served on the same plates: "Can't we just put them in the dishwasher?"
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 08:53 am
hmmm

box set of Curb Your Enthusiasm for the hamburgers for Christmas

hmmm

thanks for the Idea
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 04:38 pm
Quote:
"Curb Your Enthusiasm"

our library has larry's collection -priceless !

i read somwhere that larry recently divorced his real wife and that the whole affair (if one can call it that) will be in another episode .

and a true story :
when ehbeth went to university , she told us that she would be bringing mark - one of her classmates - home for a visit . we had met mark and knew that he was jewish .
so mrs h was wondering what kind of food she might serve mark . of course , there could be no pork or bacon , right ?
so next morning at breakfast mrs h asked what he might like for breakfast ?
you guessed it : "BACON !!! and lots of it !!! "

for dinner mrs h had made a nice chicken soup with matzo balls (one of my favourites anytime) and she told mark . he didn't seem very enthused about that . soup was served , mark pushed he matzo balls around on his plate and finally put one in his mouth . his eyes just about popped out .
"these are goood " , he said . "i thought they might be like the ones my mother makes : they are always like hockey pucks ! " .
the day was saved ! Laughing
hbg
0 Replies